Favourite Recipe

Just wondering what are all the Blitzers favourite, home grown recipes. Either the ones they invented, or the one they always go home to mum for. These are the ones you won't find on a recipe database, or in a cookbook, maybe even jealously guarded through the generations. You know, just like Nona, Nanna, Nan, Grandma, Grammy used to make.

This was the one my father dreamed up 30 odd years ago.

Start with an a boiler chicken. Grab a large soup pot and put the chicken in with a tin of tomato soup, topped up with enough water to cover the chook, and 2-3 chillies, don't need to be too hot unless you absolutely live for heat. Cook until the chicken is done, then remove the chicken, while preserving the liquid. The next step is to shred the chicken, and make a Cacciatore type dish with the chicken, some tinned tomatoes (can use fresh if you want to go to the trouble of removing the skin, an onion or two, a clove or two of garlic, 1/2 cup white wine,  olives, mushrooms, capsicum, more chilli if you like. While that is simmering for about 20 minutes, bring the reserved chicken/chilli/tomato soup back to the boil, thin out with a little bit more water, and start cooking the pasta, either spaghetti, linguine or a bucatini in it. When the pasta is cooked, you can then reserve the liquid again, thin it out just a touch because of the starch from the pasta, and serve it as a soup. You can then follow with your main course, Chilli Chicken and pasta.

Ingredients

1 whole chicken

3 chilli's

1 can tomato soup

packet of pasta

1-2 tins of peeled tomatoes

1-2 onions, sliced

1-2 cloves of garlic, crushed

1/2 cup white wine

100g of black olives, seeded

100g field or button mushrooms

1 yellow or green capsicum, deseeded

extra chilli's if desired

water as needed

optional

pineapple, bay leaves, fetta to dress, other spices as desired, taste and go.

Makaronia me mizithra

250 grams long pasta of your choice

1/4 cup butter
60 grams grated mizithra cheese
Melt the butter slowly (ie, over a low temperature) in a skillet or saucepan. Once the foaming stops, and the butter has melted, allow the colour to darken to a dark gold. Do not stir or disturb the sediment in the pan. Once the colour is dark gold/light brown, remove the pan from the heat. If you like a very clear browned butter, carefully pour the liquid off of the solids (and discard the solids).

Cook the pasta and drain. Toss the pasta thoroughly with the browned butter, making sure every strand is coated.
In a large serving bowl, spritz a little olive oil, then sprinkle 1/4 of the grated cheese. Layer three more times with buttered pasta and grated cheese, ending with cheese.

good idea, LB.

My innovation is now a recpie as such, but a lifestyle change,

I call it a paleolithic diet. The idea is that the rising tide of diabetes, cancers, celiac disease, heart disease, etc is due at least in part to our diet. Our bodies' basic chemistry is not significantly different from our ancestors of millions of years ago. But our menus certainly are.

So going back to the sorts of foods we evolved with should be beneficial.

So basically this means have a variety of cooked meat, salads, vegies etc. This is a low carb diet and will avoid stresses leading to diabetes, coeliac and heart disease.

The Mediterrean Diet...........

salads, green vegies, meat, fish, wine and coffee

good idea, LB.

I call it a paleolithic diet. The idea is that the rising tide of diabetes, cancers, celiac disease, heart disease, etc is due at least in part to our diet. Our bodies' basic chemistry is not significantly different from our ancestors of millions of years ago. But our menus certainly are.

So basically this means have a variety of cooked meat, salads, vegies etc. This is a low carb diet and will avoid stresses leading to diabetes, coeliac and heart disease.

your innovation is a low carb high protein diet?

LOL

Paleo is YOUR innovation? Despite the fact that it already started, became a ‘thing’ and is already a hipster-culture punch line.

Anyway I make an amazing chili con carne but make it up as I go almost every time.

Add room temperature Nutri-Grain to bowl and gradually add chilled milk.
Ready to serve.

well, I meant a change to my life...

Yummiest thing I can make in 10 mins

Breadcrumb Pasta

Crumble one slice day old bread

Gently brown in a little olive oil

Toss through spaghetti

Add chilli flakes to taste and some fresh grated parmi and a pinch of truffle salt

Lamb chops

Chop the tails off, clean the meat out of the tails and cut it into little pieces.

marinate the chops and the meat from the tails in lemon, olive oil, garlic, basel , oregano and salt.

leave it to sit for a while then get the chops going on the grill.

brown some onions in oil and salt( one onion for 6 chops is about right), then throw in the tail meat and the whatever marinade is left behind. once the meat is cooked ad a seeded/diced tomato or two depending how many chops you have got and a generous handfull of sultanas. do the saltanas last and don't burn them indeed they barely need to be cooked. serve this on top of rice with your chops on the side. And some steamed veggies.

if you are feeling adventurous and have the time serve some fresh tabouli on top of the rice too with a dollop of tahini sauce

good idea, LB.

Problem is it's hard to get good dinosaur meat and also evolution & the paleolithic is made up because God made us all and you're an emissary from satan.

Bonza Bolognese!

bit of butter

garlic to your taste (I usually use two crushed/chopped cloves or equivalent of minced garlic)

1 small onion

two handfulls button mushrooms, chopped a couple of times

500g mince

1 jar bolognese sauce (I usually go for a red wine & mushroom or similar)

1 tin corn kernels

1 tin chick peas

whatever else you have leftover in the fridge vegie wise - carrots, broccoli, zucchini etc! chopped roughly

lashings of BBQ sauce

add the butter to a saucepan over medium heat, chuck in the garlic, fry the onion til soft

add the mushrooms, fry til half cooked

add the mince, and brown

add the jar of sauce (tip - when the jar is nearly empty, add a little bit of water (!), put the lid back on, shake, and you'll get the dregs!)

stir in the corn, chick peas and other vegies

add lashings of BBQ sauce (taste it regularly til it's how you like it!)

simmer for a while - a couple of hours if you can.

Serve over pasta (big spirals are good) sprinkled with grated cheese, and warm crusty bread

Great way to use up bits and pieces in the fridge.  You can even add potato/ sweet potato, but chop it fairly small and boil it separately for a few minutes before adding.

Can also add red wine if you have some handy

My snobby chef friends tell me I can't call it 'bolognese' but it TOTALLY is - it just has extra bits :P

It's even better the second day reheated

good idea, LB.

Problem is it's hard to get good dinosaur meat and also evolution & the paleolithic is made up because God made us all and you're an emissary from satan.

Birds are dinosaurs. Use chicken.
And a emu is basically a velociraptor with fewer teeth....
One of my easy recipes....
1 cob of corn
about 3/4 cup frozen peas
1 slice bread
1 tsp minced garlic
4 large bbq mushrooms
shaved parmesan
Heat up the peas in the microwave. Pull the stalks out of the mushrooms and chop them. Slice the kernels off the corn. Tear the bread into little bits. Dry-fry the corn kernels, mushroom stalks, and bread until the kernels just start to brown. Add a handful of parmesan and the peas, then roughly blend the whole lot to a lumpy paste. Stuff the mushrooms with the mixture, top with more parmesan, cook under a grill until the cheese goes brown and the mushrooms start to leak juice. Eat awesomely.

i have a special verdura recipe, but i'd have to kill you and everyone you know if you were to get your hands on it

i have a special verdura recipe, but i'd have to kill you and everyone you know if you were to get your hands on it

Leafy greens with Oil and Salt? Hardly special!

Heat taco shells. 

Heat can of spaghetti.

Spoon spaghetti into taco shells. Spaghetti tacos.

Hardly cuisine, but I used ta…

Get the supermarket cigar shaped rolls, grab whatever meat you have…chuck it at the bottom, top with salsa, top again with grated cheese, grill.

Rock up to uni union barbecues.

Feign interest in pop art/religious organisation/chess club/Star Wars appreciation.

Load up on free beer and barbecued meats.

Feign interest in pop art/religious organisation/chess club/Star Wars appreciation.

Do they still have the compulsory non academic fee?
Yeah, it was made some sort of requirement last year. $135 a semester or something. Can't remember it's actual title but it's a garbage fee.

Do they still have the compulsory non academic fee?

Yeah, it was made some sort of requirement last year. $135 a semester or something. Can't remember it's actual title but it's a garbage fee.

Mate of mine ran a club for a year back at uni.  It was ... an up and down experience.

First of all he'd been the secretary the year before, then basically inherited running of the club when the previous president and treasurer got married, emptied the club bank account to pay for their honeymoon to Vanuatu, and never came back.

So he spent all year untangling the finances and fronting uni auditors and cops and who knows what else.  So he had no time to actually organise any club events, so the members all gave up giving a damn.  He finally got the all-clear in about October, that he knew nothing about the Vanuatu thing and that the club had nothing to do with it.  So he got a whole year's worth of club funding dumped in his lap with a couple of weeks to go in the uni year, and no time to spend it, and no club members who cared any more.

So a few of us joined up as members, declared all of our pissups official club events, and drank the remainder of the club treasury away and closed the club up at the end of the year once the beer money ran out. 

I would say I remember it fondly, but all I really remember is the hangover...