Favourite Recipe

Would anyone like my meatballs recipe?

i have a special verdura recipe, but i'd have to kill you and everyone you know if you were to get your hands on it

Leafy greens with Oil and Salt? Hardly special!

as i said, i'd have to kill you. keep digging at your own risk

i have a special verdura recipe, but i'd have to kill you and everyone you know if you were to get your hands on it

Is verdura Italian for vegetable, as well as in Spanish?

Heat taco shells. 

Heat can of spaghetti.

Spoon spaghetti into taco shells. Spaghetti tacos.

You don't heat the can, you heat the spaghetti. Can't you get anything right?

Leafy greens with Oil and Salt? Hardly special!

as i said, i'd have to kill you. keep digging at your own risk

TREAD LIGHTLY.

Put bit of butter in a pan. Put eggs into the same pan. Cook until eggs are cooked. Eat eggs.

Eggs

Bacon.

Bacon.

Didn’t this have it’s own thread once? Deserves one.

See YouTube about why bacon is killing you.

My favourite?

Berry antioxidant with goji, chia and linseed.

Jellied eels

No thanks

Jellied eels

No thanks

Just don't do what Noonan does. Thay are ok to eat though.

Bacon.

You want a recipe? Homemade smoked bacon beats anything you buy.

Barbecued Dim Sims!

Jellied eels

No thanks

I thought I'd said 'cockles and whelks'.

good idea, LB.

My innovation is now a recpie as such, but a lifestyle change,

I call it a paleolithic diet. The idea is that the rising tide of diabetes, cancers, celiac disease, heart disease, etc is due at least in part to our diet. Our bodies' basic chemistry is not significantly different from our ancestors of millions of years ago. But our menus certainly are.

So going back to the sorts of foods we evolved with should be beneficial.

So basically this means have a variety of cooked meat, salads, vegies etc. This is a low carb diet and will avoid stresses leading to diabetes, coeliac and heart disease.

I've headed along similar lines myself recently. Not 100% adherence, but generally trying to minimise my intake of refined carbs whilst increasing protein, fat, and fresh foods.

The thing that made me first consider this change was a seminar I attended at uni a couple of months ago by a leading evolutionary biologist. One of the things he spoke about was the potentially detrimental effect of our diets following the advent of agriculture on the human microbiome. He referred to examples from the fossil record showing a complete absence of dental plaque on human skeletons from prior to agriculture, and near 100% incidence of it after the discovery of agriculture. These days we need a rigourous oral hygiene routine to prevent our teeth from rotting away. The seminar was very interesting and made me consider the broader impacts of such a diet.

It makes quite a lot of sense, really. A diet of large quantities of grain is an extremely recent thing in terms of our evolutionary history. Why would our bodies be well-adapted to it?

good idea, LB.

I call it a paleolithic diet. The idea is that the rising tide of diabetes, cancers, celiac disease, heart disease, etc is due at least in part to our diet. Our bodies' basic chemistry is not significantly different from our ancestors of millions of years ago. But our menus certainly are.

So basically this means have a variety of cooked meat, salads, vegies etc. This is a low carb diet and will avoid stresses leading to diabetes, coeliac and heart disease.

I've headed along similar lines myself recently. Not 100% adherence, but generally trying to minimise my intake of refined carbs whilst increasing protein, fat, and fresh foods.

The thing that made me first consider this change was a seminar I attended at uni a couple of months ago by a leading evolutionary biologist. One of the things he spoke about was the potentially detrimental effect of our diets following the advent of agriculture on the human microbiome. He referred to examples from the fossil record showing a complete absence of dental plaque on human skeletons from prior to agriculture, and near 100% incidence of it after the discovery of agriculture. These days we need a rigourous oral hygiene routine to prevent our teeth from rotting away. The seminar was very interesting and made me consider the broader impacts of such a diet.

It makes quite a lot of sense, really. A diet of large quantities of grain is an extremely recent thing in terms of our evolutionary history. Why would our bodies be well-adapted to it?

Or we could all just smash our teeth on bits of bone & rock left in our food, then die at 35 like back in the day?

Surely lifespans would have a significant impact on that?

(Not that I'm saying it's a bad thing, btw. Just don't know if toothpaste has as severe a lifestyle impact as, say, diabetes)

good idea, LB.

Or we could all just smash our teeth on bits of bone & rock left in our food, then die at 35 like back in the day?

Surely lifespans would have a significant impact on that?

(Not that I'm saying it's a bad thing, btw. Just don't know if toothpaste has as severe a lifestyle impact as, say, diabetes)

I don't believe there is any evidence that life expectancy increased in any significant way as a result of agriculture, or at all until the last hundred years or so. There is however a fairly clear distinction in the fossil record between post-~10,000 years ago when agriculture first began to emerge, and before that time, in dental health. Fossils from the agricultural period frequently show plaque and other more serious consequences of microbial buildup, such as tooth loss. Fossils from before that period are relatively fine in this regard. Paleolithic humans didn't smash their teeth apart on bone and rock any more than we do.

This guy wasn't giving a seminar on the health effects of whatever diet or another, so presenting research on diabetes, etc. would have kind of been beyond his scope. This was simply something that he'd come across in his research, and was presented among several other (more zoological) topics. Besides, there is a good chance that this does affect our health more broadly than simply oral hygiene. There have for some time been suggestions of a relationship between oral health and heart disease. We are only just beginning to understand the relationship between ourselves and our gut bacteria, and we already know that it plays a significant role in our immune system. If our diets are having such a detrimental effect on the balance of our oral bacteria, it's not much of a stretch to suggest that a similar effect might be had on our gut bacteria.

Anyway, this thread has been derailed a bit. Keep posting recipes, guys.

Spaghetti Bolognaise
250g pork mince
250g beef mince
Fresh Tomato's
Carrots
Onion
Garlic
Brown the meat off and then slow cook for 10 hours
Cook the spaghetti for a few minutes (do not overcook it like most people do with Pasta)
Put some parmasen on it and tuck in