FC vs EFC at the Mutually Crapola Guys venue - predicted Result and Reason

Carlton by 30 points

Essendon like bitcoin still has some ways to go down

Essendon don’t win in the wet.

Similarly, most people on this forum have lost interest in it.

1 Like

EFA

1 Like

12 goal win. Stringer 6.

1 Like

Yeah, only an idiot would do that?

Carlton by 27.

Why: Because I’m an idiot.

1 Like

so far theres 3 of you.

Let alone driving across the country

Ah, but we played the kids!

I actually think we’re going to win quite comfortably in the end. No idea why. Probably just because there’s no Murphy, Gibbs & Docherty, who all normally carve us up.

Get Myers to run with Cripps and play Bags as a defensive forward on Simpson and we should get the job done by 20-30 I reckon.

Woke up with a feeling of dread this morning.

Can’t shake it, not a good sign ahead of our appointment with doom this afternoon.

■■■■ me i wish Guelfi was playing
i would actually be excited for this game
even if redman or a few other young guys i haven’t seen before were playing

hard to get excited for this game.

1 Like

Really looking forward to winning by a few points in an ugly affair but really, really looking forward to the club officials insisting our season is back on track because we won.

Appears that Llyody reads Blitz :slightly_smiling_face:

(it’s nice to see he was also disappointed with the lack of comeradere for Mutchies first goal in AFL along with the few of us who mentioned it here,)

Essendon can re-ignite its season against Carlton in must-win game, writes Matthew Lloyd

MATTHEW LLOYD, Herald Sun
May 11, 2018 6:00pm
Subscriber only

IT IS a lonely place, the AFL, when you are hopelessly out of form and seem lost for answers.

The Essendon Football Club is all of the above and if, the Bombers haven’t already hit rock bottom, it will stare them in they face on Saturday at 5pm if they cannot beat the bottom placed and winless Carlton at the MCG.

The Bombers’ issues are both structural and performance-based with the players losing both concentration and confidence as each game has progressed over the last three weeks.

Each player’s role needs to be clarified and simplified because of the indecision and confusion that the Essendon players have played with.

In saying that, structure and role-playing needs to become secondary to passion, heart and desire which seems lost at Essendon.

Where was the comeradere and brotherhood for Kobe Mutch last Saturday when he kicked his first goal in AFL football?

It was non-existent which suggested to me that Essendon was playing like a team with an every man for himself mentality which have gone insular due to a lack of belief and confidence.

That is the nicest way of putting it, but you could also come to the conclusion that Essendon are not as united as they could or should be.

Why the lack of care and affection for Mutch in a moment he will never forget and why the blow-ups on Anzac Day when the game was lost and the pressure from Collingwood all got too much for them?

Some support for Zach Merrett when he is getting tagged every week wouldn’t go astray either.

Ask Cameron Ling what the good sides did to him when he looked to take out their best player every week. Ling couldn’t walk for a couple of days afterwards. Enough said.

OK, time to stop looking in the rear-view mirror. It’s time to look forward with Saturday’s must-win game against the Blues.

The turnaround has to start in the midfield, to stop the ball living in the Bombers’ defensive half of the ground.

The Bombers get the ball inside forward 50m less than any other side in the AFL. That’s right, less than Carlton, Brisbane and St Kilda.

Essendon’s midfield mix has to change.

The Bombers are ranked bottom four in the midfield for both contested possession and ground balls, which limits the team’s ability to get the ball inside 50m and then lock it in.

Dyson Heppell, Zach Merrett and David Zaharakis pick themselves in the midfield but to add more speed and become dynamic, it would be great to see Orazio Fantasia and Anthony Tipungwuti have quick bursts in the midfield each quarter.

The Bombers have looked slow and have lacked depth in comparison to their opposing midfields in recent weeks.

One name I left out of that midfield group is Devon Smith.

Smith will have his time in the middle where he has played some great football this year, but he now becomes of greater importance in Essendon’s front half.

Essendon cannot lock the ball inside forward 50 with the personal it has and Smith is the No.1 pressure player in the AFL, so it makes perfect sense.

Smith is ranked the No.1 forward 50 pressure player at Essendon, which is an indictment on the others considering the limited time he has spent there.

Essendon is crying out for pressure players inside their forward 50 and Smith is the man. McDonald-Tipungwuti needs to be told in no uncertain terms what is expected of him.

The manic Tippa of 2017 needs to return, rather than have the one that has floated through most of the 2018 season with no urgency.

With Joe Daniher out for at least a month with injury, it gives Essendon the opportunity to play smaller in the forward line with Smith, Tipungwuti and Fantasia at the feet of the mobile James Stewart and Shaun McKernan. I would keep Cale Hooker in defence.

The backs have been under enormous pressure because of the midfield’s inability to get the ball going their way.

The opposition’s forward-half press has also caused Essendon all sorts of problems, which the rest of the competition is well aware of.

It was slow and indecisive ball movement against Collingwood off the half-back line and handballing at nauseum against Hawthorn which created all sorts of problems.

Essendon must hold a forward structure ahead of the ball in this situation to have options to kick to and find a greater balance between when to attack the press and when to show composure in waiting for an option to open up.

The leaders in defence — Michael Hurley, Hooker and Brendon Goddard — must defend first and attack second, not vice-versa.

There has been too much uncontested possession in defence for not much gain of late.

John Worsfold was stoic in his defence of Hurley during the week after criticism from Paul Roos and while he has had plenty of good moments within games, Hurley has lost 44 per cent of his one-on-one contests this season.

Only seven-game defender Aaron Naughton of the Bulldogs has lost more among all the key defenders in the AFL so an adjustment has to be made to Hurley’s game.

Essendon’s defensive coach Mark Harvey was as tough as they came in his playing days and it’s time this current defensive group turned back the clock and got nasty.

Defend for your lives first, and your ability to create will stem from that.

The time has come for greater accountability at Essendon right across the board, from the CEO to the coaches, the players, the boot studder.

The importance of Saturday’s game cannot be understated.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/essendon-can-reignite-its-season-against-carlton-in-mustwin-game-writes-matthew-lloyd/news-story/604fbb84f1fe2a597b08df18041c611d

3 Likes

We’ll win by 3 points, not deserve it and the season will be “back on track”.

4 Likes

‘Yeh look carlton played well today, I thought a few of our boys were off but learnt some things’

After a 32 point loss.

I’m as down on the team and coach as anyone, but we should win. First up I expect McKernan to have an impact, the rain to stay away, and Merrett regain some of his mojo. Essendon by 22.

1 Like

Would love this to happen, hopefully and run as us back into at least a little bit of form, you know, like we are good at running other teams back into form, it better be our turn. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m going against the pessimistic tide in here because rationality has nothing to do with it. I will never pick Carlscum to beat us. Dons by 30 points. Reason? Time to salvage some pride. Fck Carlscum.

1 Like

Must start well
give them confidence and they will beat us