First Concert & Album

This used to be asked of contestants on RockWiz and some interesting answers ensued.

1. What was the first band/artist you saw live, not counting school bands etc.?

2. What was the first full-length album (record or CD) that you bought with your own money, not counting those K-Tel and other cheapie TV specials?

In my case, the first concert was Billy Thorpe & The Aztecs at the Star Cinema in Portland in 1973 and, man, they were loud!

My first real album was the Rolling Stones compilation High Tide And Green Grass.

9 Likes

Either painters and dockers or spiderbait before they had a pony bought for them.

Unforgettable Fire or Rattle n Hum

6 Likes

Midnight Oil @ Myer Music Bowl, 1991 (14 years old)

Midnight Oil - Diesel And Dust LP (11 years old)

6 Likes

Great idea for a thread.

First live band(s) I saw was a triple bill at the Entertainment Centre (old Olympic pool). Jimmy Barnes, The Johnnys and The Saints, 1986. Saints came on first so I guess they’re the first band I saw live.

First album was Dynasty by Kiss. Brash’s Eastland.

5 Likes

Stones - Voodoo lounge tour Toronto ‘94
Mick in full length leather coat between 2 fire breathing gold cobras - I was floored

First album bought with my own money? Presidents of the USA

5 Likes

First artist: Sammy Davis Jnr (my mum loved him and I was the youngest in the audience by quite a few years). It was unbelievable that I was allowed in. Brilliant concert.

First Album: Desolation Boulevard - The Sweet

6 Likes

First gig: Parkway Drive early 2006 at the Mooroolbark Community Centre.

First album: going to say . . . Killing Heidi - Reflector or Silverchair - Neon Ballroom

1 Like

1…
Spy v Spy
Parade College Gymnasium
Form 4 Social
Guessing I was 15yo

2…
Probably Wham’s ‘Make it Big’ on Cassette (don’t judge man)

6 Likes

First concert - Billy Thorpe & the Aztecs at the Sidney Myer music bowl (about 1972?)
Album - Slade Alive

3 Likes

All ages Psycroptic, Bloodduster, and M.S.I. gig at the Polish Club in Hobart, probably around 2001 or 2002.

A bunch of my first albums were given to me as birthday presents so I don’t remember which was the first I bought myself. It might have been Follow the Leader by Korn.

4 Likes

First concert- Sunk Loto at the Flemington Community Center in 2003. Not a bad gig, not that I was to know any better. Saw Metallica a couple of months later at the Music Bowl which was on a completely different scale.

First album: Sunk Loto- Big Picture Lies and Silverchair- Freak Show, purchased at the same time.

2 Likes

Saw them open for Behemoth at an all ages gig at the Tote in 2006. Still the best show I’ve ever been to.

First Concert: The Offspring Americana tour (also my first album) in 99 at Rod Laver, was 13.

2 Likes

First gig was Deadstar doing a free set at the skate park where QV is now.

First album was Ivy and The Big Apples

2 Likes

Yeah they’re fantastic. Got to be the best band to come out of Hobart. The Haley brothers’ dad was a teacher of mine in high school, lol

1 Like

first concert - think it was Scorpions in Rotterdam in 1989

first album - Icehouse, by Flowers

My first single was the theme song to a show on the ABC called “Who Pays the Ferryman” (not to be confused with Chris de Burgh’s “Don’t Pay the Ferryman”!)

4 Likes

First concert and first album are on Youtube.

1st Concert - U2 at the Sports & Entertainment Centre 1984

1st Album - Asia; Asia

3 Likes

Wow, the Scorpions. Saw them in Berlin, a long time ago.

But my first live band was the Valentines when they came to our high school in 1967 !

3 Likes

Concert - I’m guessing U2 Love comes to town tour (W/BB King and Weddings Parties Anything) Fri 13th Oct 1989(?)

Cd - REM Out of Time
Tape - I think Culture Club? (Don’t judge me @bltn )

7 Likes

A diverse and eclectic range of responses, as expected.

If nothing else, it gives a fair idea of the vintage of each poster!

1 Like