First Concert & Album

Gigs I’ve attended at Festival Hall include Bob Marley, Elvis Costello, Ian Dury, The Cramps, Nick Cave and Radiohead. It was never a great venue, to say the least.

5 Likes

Yes.

But as @mrjez brother found, the Meanies (who i’d obviously never seen, and probably not really heard) were farken rad.

Despite it being a bit of a ‘bucket list’ thing, I couldn’t say Nirvana were in my top 5 gigs.

2 Likes

Old enough for one of these gift vouchers?

10 Likes

yeeeeah boi, loved those

first gig was a freeza tour in 97 with jebediah (right when leaving home came out), something for kate (still at “who?” status) and two other hacks at the old ballarat ymca building

first album bought with own money was cake - fashion nugget

3 Likes

Although the OP didn’t ask for it, I feel the need to confess that the actual first item of music I bought with my own money was the 7” of We Are The World.

8 Likes

On behalf of the world, I would like to thank you for your purchase

4 Likes

What is this Freezer thing?

…one of my wife’s friends worked at BraS n Things. This sweaty fat guy came in buying all sorts of lingerie and stuff. He kept saying he was taking it to a freezer party, and then asked her if she’d like to come along. She declined but wasn’t sure what he meant. When he was walking out she asked what a freezer party was and he said it’s when you have sex with 2 other people, a ‘threesome party’.

I guess it was possibly only him attending at that point.

First album purchased was Achtung Baby by U2.
First ever concert was U2 at Football Park in 1993.

Yes, I am a bit of a U2 fan.

5 Likes

This thread is a good way to guess a Blitzer’s age since generally first concert is when you’re a teenager.

1 Like

Yes you may. But as a 11yo I loved Karma Chameleon after dancing around singing it on a school excursion to the botanic gardens, so I went to Brashs to get the Culture Club album, came home, put it into the tape player…“W-War is stupid, people are stupid…”…the new album! Learning experience…

(still love that song though …:slight_smile: )

3 Likes

There’s an outside chance that we’re talking about slightly different types of parties.

Well, I was anyway.

1 Like

First album: Corona - Rhythm Of The Night
First CD single: cant remember exactly but may have been Culture Beat - Mr. Vain, Jaki Graham - Aint Nobody or Coronas Rhythm Of The Night. Maybe I bought the together?
First 12’’ was probably a Canadian dance single off Gemm Marketplace but can’t remember which one.
First Concert: 90s Mania tour in 2016.

4 Likes

First concert: Green Day - American Idiot Tour
Support Act: My Chemical Romance :face_vomiting:

First Album: Queen - Greatest Hits
First Non-compilation Album: Pearl Jam - Ten

4 Likes

organised bands to tour under 18 shows in extremely regional areas to try and demonstrate that you don’t need drugs and/or alcohol to have a good night. results varied.

5 Likes

Thankfully, they didn’t breath test at the door. Or nobody would have got in.

1 Like

it’s on the bucket list tho, still.

2 Likes

Not for me, I already told you I went to a freezer party.

1 Like

First concert: Mark of Cain. They were supported by the triple j unearthed winners Liquid and another band I’ll never forget - Jefferson Cowboy. The reason they were unforgettable was that their singer was so stoned that he couldn’t remember his own songs.

First album: Green Day - Dookie. It was my money, but technically I had my sister buy it for me on tape.

4 Likes

First Concert - KISS at the old Sydney Showgrounds (now Moore Park Precinct south east of the SCG 1978

First Album LP Vinyl Cheap Trick “Dream Police” played it over on my folks record player until they bought me my own to listen in my room

3 Likes