Footy violence

Unless Clarkson felt genuinely threatened he had no right.

The Yarran punch was an escalation of violence - they were already being physical. Not excusable, but in no way even remotely comparable to something like the Barry Hall hit.

FWIW I don’t buy this whole “jumper punch is OK” vibe about the game. It’s pathetic.

FWIW Hawthorn and the AFL aren’t taking it further but the guy has pressed charges and SAPOL are investigating.

FWIW Hawthorn and the AFL aren't taking it further but the guy has pressed charges and SAPOL are investigating.

It will be dropped by the police.

FWIW Hawthorn and the AFL aren't taking it further but the guy has pressed charges and SAPOL are investigating.

I think so aswell, I do wonder if the Hawks and AFL still stand by him if he was prosecuted though.

I think so aswell, I do wonder if the Hawks and AFL still stand by him if he was prosecuted though.

I think it more likely that the fan might cop a whack for being drunk in a public place.

I think it more likely that the fan might cop a whack for being drunk in a public place.

Has been reported that several other guests at the hotel have come forward and said this bloke was harassing other guests. The Hotel has handed all its camera footage over to SAPOL
The guy was being a flog trying to get under his skin. Clarkson should of just walked away and been the bigger person and ignored him and walked away. Clarksons excuse was pathetic.

people know that if you get stuck into him him he doesnt have the patience to cop it. People will give him both barrels now when he walks through the aisles at games now. Especially at places like etihad

2 wrongs don’t make a right. If the afl had any guts they would punish clarkson for it. Seeing as the media love him, he will have no case to answer. If it was malthouse or Hird that had done what he did there would be outrage and calls for their sacking.

Don’t see why the AFL would treat this any different to a player. If it was a player who had done what Clarkson did, he would have been fined by the club at the very least and maybe missed matches. But, hey, Clarko is a good bloke. (supposedly)

Seriously?

Clarkson was walking away… The drunks were trying to get at him and pushing and shoving… And yet some people think he can’t push them away?? ■■■■■■ ridiculous…

Well all i've learnt from the media today is that violence is the answer when opposition fans are gloating.

Disgraceful, Clarkson should be condemned for lashing out.

Complete agree. His excuse was horrible and insincere.

So how would you react walking back to your hotel and being harrased for some distance by drunken louts who just jept getting more and more intrusive to the point you were feeling threatened? Would you just stand there and cop it or would shove out at the person to push them away?

Sure, Clarkson is no saint but seriously he has the right to walk to his hotel without being confronted by drunken idiots who were looking for trouble. I am with Lethal on this one.

You are an idiot

Hitting someone for running their mouth is Neanderthal behaviour

Actually we all know that you’re the idiot but if it makes you feel better to say I am, go for it with your full heart. Say it after every post of mine.

So you think people are justified in using violence towards someone who is “mouthy”?

Idiot

You can’t call some one an idiot because they have an opinion different from your own. A wanker he might be, but Clarko had every right to drop that bloke like a bag of sh*t.

He had no right to punch him at all.

We’ll have to agree to disagree. Shouting out from a distance is one thing, but stirring sh*t up as closely as he was, as loud as he was? A fist to the jaw would have shut him right up. He’d never do it again either.

Sometimes a little violence is necessary. This is not a king hit. This is not a defenceless individual. I know, I know one punch and their dead and all that. But that is rare. If you followed that logic you would never ride a bicycle.

Tell that David Hookes.

violence is not the answer to anything, but people going off the deep end and calling people who threw a punch on field “wifebashers”, isn’t the answer to anything either.

I dislike Clarko but the tool filming and being a ■■■■ should get fined as well as banned from AFL games.

Idiots like this law into footballers, coaches and players all the time. This is one instance of someone retaliating. I can only imagine how much Hird has and continues to cop.

An example needs to be set to stop having people put into positions like this.

2 things - from watching the video, I don’t think the blokes actually pushed or shoved Clarkson. They were verbally harassing (not abusing) him, no doubt and maybe even bodying up to him. And they didn’t step in front of him and block his path, as he claimed.

One shove to that bloke could have sent him backwards onto the footpath. Yes, they were being obnoxious dickheads, but could anybody justify an injury of any magnitude for what those blokes did? I don’t think so.

What Clarkson did could easily have escalated the situation to something far more serious than what it was.

Edit: And no, I’m not sticking up for those blokes. They should have backed off when asked. Coaches and players, and anyone else for that matter, shouldn’t be subjected to drunken idiots harassing them.

Absolutely nothing wrong with what Clarko did. The guy was harrassed by 3 drunks with one hanging of him FFS and really all he did was push him away. He handled it pretty well I thought all things considered.

This isn’t a domestic violence issue, this isn’t a king hit issue, this is a guy who was trying to difuse a situation by walking away from 3 drunk agitators and was still harrassed so he pushed someone away. If there is an issue to debate it’s the behaviour of drunks in the street.

The law allows an individual to use force proportionate to the threat being faced.

Based on the footage it is fair to assume that A Clarkson acted reasonably given the situation.

Clarkson gave the clowns exactly what they wanted.

Enjoy your 5 minutes of fame knobs. It’ll probably result in some stupid additional controls to further isolate fans from coaches, staff and players.

What’s that flog Koch had to say about it this morning?

(On second thoughts I don’t care.)

Well all i've learnt from the media today is that violence is the answer when opposition fans are gloating.

Disgraceful, Clarkson should be condemned for lashing out.

Complete agree. His excuse was horrible and insincere.

So how would you react walking back to your hotel and being harrased for some distance by drunken louts who just jept getting more and more intrusive to the point you were feeling threatened? Would you just stand there and cop it or would shove out at the person to push them away?

Sure, Clarkson is no saint but seriously he has the right to walk to his hotel without being confronted by drunken idiots who were looking for trouble. I am with Lethal on this one.

You are an idiot

Hitting someone for running their mouth is Neanderthal behaviour

Actually we all know that you’re the idiot but if it makes you feel better to say I am, go for it with your full heart. Say it after every post of mine.

So you think people are justified in using violence towards someone who is “mouthy”?

Idiot

You can’t call some one an idiot because they have an opinion different from your own. A wanker he might be, but Clarko had every right to drop that bloke like a bag of sh*t.

He had no right to punch him at all.

We’ll have to agree to disagree. Shouting out from a distance is one thing, but stirring sh*t up as closely as he was, as loud as he was? A fist to the jaw would have shut him right up. He’d never do it again either.

Sometimes a little violence is necessary. This is not a king hit. This is not a defenceless individual. I know, I know one punch and their dead and all that. But that is rare. If you followed that logic you would never ride a bicycle.

Ridiculous logic. I wear a helmet when i ride a bike for the very same reason as i don’t get into fights: a hit to the head is dangerous.

This cavalier attitude when it comes to violence is how people get into fights and get killed.

He pushed him off ffs. Calm you panties

It’s two strikes with an open hand to the throat.
There is a push, sure, before the two strikes with an open hand to the throat.
I don’t care your view is of the morality and responsibilities of what happened are, but don’t change the facts.
Clarkson will have been brushing some lint of the guy’s shoulder soon.

He pushed him off ffs. Calm you panties

Yep. That’s the cavalier attitude i was referring to.