Former #1 Pig Hibberd

Horrible news. Very sad for Hibbo and family.

2 Likes

Apparently they went out without life jackets as well…

You’d almost think this was a suicide given all the very obvious warning signs and deterrents they ignored.

1 Like

with another person?

Or they need to disappear for some reason?

It’s all very strange. Never ever write off outright stupidity , though.

4 Likes

Many many fishos do stuff like this. Nothing sinister about it. Lifejackets are clunky and inconvenient to wear all the time, take up an annoying amount of room in a small boat, and in a bigger one tend to be stashed under a seat or somewhere similar that’d be hard to reach at short notice in an emergency so most people think they’re basically useless to have on board. And, to be honest, there’s a bit of old-school macho attitude that says lifejackets are for wimps.

Yes, I know it’s illegal to go out in a boat without a lifejacket. Shitloads of people do it anyway and nobody ever checks.

I’ve been fishing since i was old enough to hold a rod, and while i grew up with river fishing and we always put on lifejackets on the open ocean, I’ve been that guy too. Until my old man ran into a bit of trouble on the Murray a few years back and floated downstream clinging on to his upturned tinnie for a few km. He was very very lucky someone happened across him when they did. But the Hibberds grew up with saltwater fishing - I bet they’ve never bothered with lifejackets in their lives, even outside the Heads.

It’s a tragedy and a profoundly preventable one, but suicide it ain’t.

7 Likes

Wonderful stuff.

Eh, I’m backing over-confidence and/or stupidity.

I can think of many more pleasants ways

1 Like

Hash hat

My best friends dad passed away when he was 9 trying to save 2 fisherman who had been swept off the rocks…he was a very fit man the 2 fisherman survived he didnt…

My mate has never been the same since!

7 Likes

Looks like its worst case scenario for the guys. Sad day for their family, Geoff was only a young bloke with a young family. It really sucks, stupid or not there is no real need to stick it into him now.

RIP Hibbo

3 Likes

Wallets left in unlocked vehicle is odd

1 Like

I reckon leaving wallets in car when you go fishing isn’t odd at all…but the fact it was unlocked starts to make it so. Could have been an accident though

Very sad for the families of the men, very sad for Pig.

Wallets is just one more element that is consistent with them doing something they weren’t supposed to, probably in a rush to get the boat in the water.

Very sorry to hear. That’s horrible. Tell your mate his Dad is a hero.

1 Like

Am I the only one struggling for sympathy here?

Pitch black and dark, 3 metre swell, tiny boat, no lifejackets…Guy has a young family too, going against all the current restrictions in place as well.

Totally selfish, stupid and irresponsible regardless of who’s brother he is.

11 Likes

im hearing you…and they wonder why we are all in lockdown…

1 Like

I know lots of people who do that regardless of often you might say, “don’t do it.” Its not usual.

Habits they are hard things to change.

I think it’s what makes it even more tragic.

He now has a widow and children at home thinking exactly the same thing.

1 Like

Is it confirmed? Have they found the bodies?