Former #17 James Stewart

Haven’t watched the game yet but it looks like Stewart is ready to step up again this year.

Plenty of improvement still to come.

Indeed, only 34 games to his name. If he continues to improve and get a full season this year, our forward line in 2019, barring injury, trades, and whatnot, looks even more dangerous.

2 Likes

I think we have a 50 or 60 goal forward on our hands within a year or two.

I like what I see.

2 Likes

As a third tall?

Or as a second target to partner up with Joe?

I think he will further develop his marking and partner up with Joe when Hooker moves on or slows down.

I’m not exactly sure of what type of player Stewart was in U18’s but he looks to still be coming to terms with his contested marking.

I think he actually reads the flight well and get’s his body in to good enough positions but then his hands let him down. If he can improve that then he will go ahead in leaps and bounds I believe.

He’s going to be a very difficult match up for gorilla full backs because once the ball hits the deck he is lethal and that for me puts him in a unique position compared to most tall forwards.

1 Like

Apparently as junior (I’m not sure how junior) he played as a midfielder.

Which makes sense to me, he kind of moves like an oversized midfielder.

Agree with your overall sentiment, and while he is certainly most suited to playing the ‘Third Tall’ role for us right now, I don’t think that’s all he is ever going to be.

He has improved a great deal in his short time with us (his contested marking in particular), and he’s still fairly young.

5 Likes

I thought he may have been a mid but wasn’t sure.

Similar to Carlisle but Carlisle had the great hands which helped with his transition into AFL.

1 Like

Looking more like Blicavs to me. But possibly a better forward. Didn’t look out of place rucking either which surprised. Hard worker, like him a lot.

1 Like

I think he’s one of those guys who had a massive growth spurt in his mid teens

I also liked how his approach to the first centre bounce he contested was to take a chest mark in the ruck contest

I jJust looked at the player profiles on our website.

James Stewart and Joe Daniher were both born on 4/3/1994
James Stewart - 198cm and 94kg
Joe Daniher - 200cm and 95kg

Freakish

1 Like

Maybe they should wear numbers 6 and 6A

5 Likes

so 1cm = 475gm approx

Hooker, Daniher, Stewart, Stringer will stretch every back six in the comp.

4 Likes

crickey - they were very big babies

37 Likes

I’ve been a doubter. I was wrong to doubt.

Just dropped the f bomb on Foaming Brian. BOG.

6 Likes

My boy!

Was huge!!

And people didn’t have him best 22.

11 Likes

Is the commentary team really saying that his run up showed up over summer?

4 Likes