Former #17 James Stewart

Daniher, Stewart and Laverde are all very nimble. That is my favourite forward line setup, would love to see it in action.

1 Like

Stewart is currently a better crumbing forward than Green!

Me too.

He has some serious wheels for a tall footballer.

Loved the way he backed himself and burned the Pies guy chasing him in the first qtr for that goal on the run.

Did the same thing last week in the first qtr but got called for running too far, still scored the goal too unfortunately that didn’t count.

He’s done a number of exciting things this season.

2 Likes

Gets to the rights spots in the forward line.

Great pick up in the off season.

Shout out to those Blitzers who were on board with Stewart during the preseason and early rounds…

At that time the overwhelming narrative on here was that Francis was about to ENGAGE BEAST MODE and HAD to be elevated. Stewart was just a distraction to the conversation, just tall list filler.

I even got told on here that playing Stewart instead of Francis would be like playing a second ruckman and it would cost us mobility?!?!

4 Likes

Once he learns to use his body better in marking contests he is going to be a very dangerous player. Its the only part of the game he is lacking in. Been very impressive for a tall that has played very few games at AFL level.

2 Likes

Showing a level of intensity not seen at GWS. Great recruiting and coaching to get that out of him.

1 Like

He’s the type of player that will have some quiet games and do some silly things but also for the most part be a good contributor. He’s a good mark (not KPP great) but knows how to find space which I think is his main asset and is good on the lead. His kicking is also good and above average on the run for a bigger guy, and he’s surprisingly nimble. If we can accept his quiet games then he’ll be a good reliable probably 4th-6th most important forward for us but that’s okay because not everyone can be number 1. Had 2 goals and could have had 4 on the weekend but gave off a few and also set up Colyer for a goal in the last with a smart tap. He’s kicked 12.4 from 8 games which is on track for around 25-30 if he’d played a full season, and has kicked a goal in all but one game and 4 times from 8 kicked 2 goals or more. That’s a great result from a player most didn’t have in their best 22 and most thought he’d be VFL all year. Shows you that a great pre-season (which he had) and then again great VFL form until the Geelong game means a player can thrive if form is rewarded.

In the year review we’ll look back and see him as one of the more good news stories to come from it, a player most didn’t rate now and now a good contributor.

10 Likes

on the wagon since day 1

really important player in the forwardline, and with all the huge amount of talent there his ability to get into dangerous space and kick goals is mighty handy

will snag a 4-5 bag soon

Is better than Grimley.

28 Likes

Francis was never a rookie, mate.

Yeah, get it correct.
He was a top up :grinning:

1 Like

Rookie top up, exceptional young man who barracked for us as a kid and is a potential leader.

2 Likes

Still has plenty of upside, still got room in the band wagon.

During the trade period, some liked Stewart, some liked Xav Richards. I was a bit sceptical about both tbh
For those who claim to have been on the bandwagon since October 2016, I guess you guys are visionaries.

Stewarts sort of like our Blicavs, but we have a very well defined “high half forward” role for him, and he plays it well while Blicavs is still sooking about the end of the 3rd man up , and how its buggered up his game.

2 Likes

After his second goal on the weekend, I enjoyed pointing to my Collingwood supporting friend that he could have been playing for them. She wasn’t impressed.

2 Likes

STEW

Jimmy has become a bit of a favourite. Very keen to see him do well.

1 Like

Same

The gap from Stewart to Langford/Francis is definitely there, but the gap from Hooker to mcNernan is a chasm.

1 Like