Former #17 James Stewart

Side note I reckon J Stewart’s success is one of the biggest feathers in the coaching group’s cap. He’s got good pace, good height, and good skills but that’s about it -far from a superstar. But he’s really playing an important role, leading Long and hard, helping create space around Joe and Hooksy which in turn leads to better crumb opportunities.

As a broader point, coaches IMO don’t succeed or fail on how the A graders go, but how much value they get out of the other 35 dudes. This dude won a flag with freaking Ashley Hansen and Q Lynch at FF and CHF.

11 Likes

Salient point

Ross Lyon says hi.

Pft…he’s never had anything but A Graders :sunglasses:

Perhaps the best example I’m thinking of in terms of output from ‘the other guys’. Got to grand finals with Zac Dawson, Jarryn geary, tendai mzungu and a host of other potatoes.

1 Like

Stewart is a very important part of the forward structure of 3 talls and 3 smalls.

Would like to see a few more second half goals from him though.

Calling Jarryn Geary a potato is just plumb ignorant…and arrogant.

4 Likes

Genuine utility? He wasn’t much unde Rosco.

More aggressive than people made him out to be. Good Pickup.

I like him as everyone has pointed out he has great skills, agility and pace. Obviously I’d love him to remember he is 6 ft 6 and can take a mark occasionally and hope he develops that part of his game.

1 Like

I think he’s going OK. I do think he needs to take a few more marks but he’s still young for a Kpf so should have plenty of improvement in him.
He actually plays the Green position better than Green.

He has benefited to a large extent by the more pressing need opposition defences need to pay to JoeDan and Hooker. He has seen his opportunity and grasped it. Tricky match up at the best of times. As he grows into his role a little more and becomes more in synch with the other two, his effectiveness will only grow.

1 Like

Some crystal ball gazing from last year but I think most people could see his potential from the start. His interviews suggest a good footy IQ and good work ethic. News from the club suggests he has fitted in well. Happy with his development so far.

1 Like

I keep thinking about this photo from when he first signed up:

I like to imagine that Xavier is kicking back thinking: “Yeaap…I’m feeling pretty good right now…I think I just registered a little victory…”

X.Campbell: “Sign here, and you’re officially an Essendon player.”

J Stewart: “Thanks Moons.”

60 Likes

'ken lol.

Near choked on me toast.

Haha, I actually spat milk across the table.

Moooooons.

1 Like

POTY

Couldn’t miss at GWS