Former #19 - Shaunye

I hope that is correct but I wish that was afforded to all players.

Jerret had one bad game and was dumped and hasn’t been seen since.

46 games 5 games he has 20+ possessions
Parish 9 games 8 games with 20+ possessions

Also Merrett has scored 2 goals in a game 3x
Parish already has a 2 goal game.

Merrett has been very average at AFL footy.

So? I’m not sure why Parish is used as an example when most would agree he’s had one of the most impressive starts of any player on our list from the last 20 years.

Merrett had 21 and 28 disposals in the first two games of 2016, had one shocker, and was dumped. Leon Baker’s point was that it is a good idea to give the kids a block of games, but Jerrett’s treatment seems pretty harsh. Giving Redman, McKenna, and now Edwards the chance to show something is a the right thing in what is fundamentally a development year. The over reaction to Jerrett’s one bad game seems odd given that, and I can understand Leon Baker pointing out that not all players have had this “safe to fail” attitude that others have received.

He got a ‘block’ of 3 games at the start of the year & he’s about to get another 3 or 4 game block (maybe more if he fires up, but I don’t hold out much hope). You are comparing him to Redman & McKenna who have played single digit number of games, of course he gets different treatment to them, he’s in his 5th season.

He was absolutely pathetic in that Port game, when it was his turn to go (on numerous occasions), he stood back & spectated. He has played 46 mostly ineffective & unmemorable games, but just in case you forgot, he did have a 30 possession game once 3 years ago against a very ordinary & soft Carlton.

Anyone would think we had a potential superstar playing in the magoos, just waiting to be released on an unsuspecting public!

And yet Daniher is afforded greater leniency after pathetic games because?

Erego… not all players are treated equally

Give it rest. Seriously.

So? I’m not sure why Parish is used as an example when most would agree he’s had one of the most impressive starts of any player on our list from the last 20 years.

Merrett had 21 and 28 disposals in the first two games of 2016, had one shocker, and was dumped. Leon Baker’s point was that it is a good idea to give the kids a block of games, but Jerrett’s treatment seems pretty harsh. Giving Redman, McKenna, and now Edwards the chance to show something is a the right thing in what is fundamentally a development year. The over reaction to Jerrett’s one bad game seems odd given that, and I can understand Leon Baker pointing out that not all players have had this “safe to fail” attitude that others have received.

He got a ‘block’ of 3 games at the start of the year & he’s about to get another 3 or 4 game block (maybe more if he fires up, but I don’t hold out much hope). You are comparing him to Redman & McKenna who have played single digit number of games, of course he gets different treatment to them, he’s in his 5th season.

He was absolutely pathetic in that Port game, when it was his turn to go (on numerous occasions), he stood back & spectated. He has played 46 mostly ineffective & unmemorable games, but just in case you forgot, he did have a 30 possession game once 3 years ago against a very ordinary & soft Carlton.

Anyone would think we had a potential superstar playing in the magoos, just waiting to be released on an unsuspecting public!

Give it rest. Seriously.

Give what a rest? Discussing the various players and the opportunities they are afforded? Or just things that dont agree with your version of the world?

It’s not other players, it’s Daniher, all the time, and you know that.

If you honestly can’t see the difference between opportunity given to Merrett and Daniher, then I don’t know what to tell you.

One is a dime a dozen flanker who has already had substantial opportunity previously in his career (and not really taken it) and is fighting with 15 other guys for his spot.

The other is our previous two years leading goal kicker who has one, maybe two players competiting for his spot, and one of them is a ruckman and the other is a pretty average top up.

It’s pretty clear, I don’t know why you can’t see it, or why you must keep saying it over, and over…

I have no issue with giving Edwards a few consecutive games to see if it can click, I think if he can get a bit of confidence early in a game then he could have a real impact. It can’t be easy to get thrown into a big match with 70k people watching expecting you to be a star because it’s the Dreamtime match and you’re indig. Trying to fit in the midfield with blokes like Zerret and Parish who you’ve hardly ever played with, and of course when you do get the ball our forward line is hardly giving you a heap of options and you are still trying to get a feel for what you can get away with at this level.

Most of our players made stupid mistakes and poor decisions last week, so lets give him a chance to see how quick he can learn at this level.

It's not other players, it's Daniher, all the time, and you know that.

If you honestly can’t see the difference between opportunity given to Merrett and Daniher, then I don’t know what to tell you.

One is a dime a dozen flanker who has already had substantial opportunity previously in his career (and not really taken it) and is fighting with 15 other guys for his spot.

The other is our previous two years leading goal kicker who has one, maybe two players competiting for his spot, and one of them is a ruckman and the other is a pretty average top up.

It’s pretty clear, I don’t know why you can’t see it, or why you must keep saying it over, and over…

Its not just about Daniher its about some players being given more opportunities than others. Full Stop. You are the one that is fixated with Daniher.
Merrett played one crap game. He not only gets dropped he gets hammered by half the people on this site. And others have suffered similar derision, Ambrose, to name another. Gleeson…never going to make it. I could go on but I cant be bothered.
Yet other players we keep hearing about how good they are GOING to be. How they should be given opportunities because they are going to be good. They had a terrible game in the twos but they have potential.
Its a double standard. Daniher is just one example.

As for Edwards he will need to improve.

Lets face it Edwards is not up to it. I’m sure he has the talent but sadly not the appetite for the fight. Reminds me of Jetta who refused to go when it was his turn. Floated around waiting for the ball to come to him. Will be delisted. Merrett should also go as not up to it. Anyone who has been on the list for more than 2 years and cant demand a regular spot with 12 listed players banned is clearly not worth persisting with ie. Jerrett Edwards, Hams, Gleeson…you can add McKernan and McKenna to the list at years end

Lets face it Edwards is not up to it. I'm sure he has the talent but sadly not the appetite for the fight. Reminds me of Jetta who refused to go when it was his turn. Floated around waiting for the ball to come to him. Will be delisted. Merrett should also go as not up to it. Anyone who has been on the list for more than 2 years and cant demand a regular spot with 12 listed players banned is clearly not worth persisting with ie. Jerrett Edwards, Hams, Gleeson.........you can add McKernan and McKenna to the list at years end

Edwards says for you to SHUTUP

Lets face it Edwards is not up to it. I'm sure he has the talent but sadly not the appetite for the fight. Reminds me of Jetta who refused to go when it was his turn. Floated around waiting for the ball to come to him. Will be delisted. Merrett should also go as not up to it. Anyone who has been on the list for more than 2 years and cant demand a regular spot with 12 listed players banned is clearly not worth persisting with ie. Jerrett Edwards, Hams, Gleeson.........you can add McKernan and McKenna to the list at years end
Some players take longer. I wouldn't write off anyone just yet, Colyer is an example of someone who can start the year coldly after being on the list for a number of years, yet by the end of the year (2014) had established himself in the team. That was his 5th year in the AFL, same as Edwards.

I’ll reply to this discussion in a more appropriate thread.

I’m all for giving him a block of games, but it can’t be unconditional. If he puts in a really poor performance where the intensity/effort isn’t there (eg. Shredwards last year against Hawthorn or Merretts R3 game), you get demoted. I think he’s pretty safe for next week despite a modest Dreamtime performance.

Didn't shepherd for Goddard in one piece of play which saw Goddard's kick get smothered.
That play reminded me of Under 10s where the stands 1 meter in front of their teammate demanding the ball, where they aren't old enough to know to either block for the kid with the ball or make space to receive it!

Edwards is exactly the type of player we require, he is just a poor mans version of that player

Christ, we’re picking on him for not shepherding now? Who do we have other than maybe Ambrose that actually shepherds occasionally? It’s an issue with most of our list.

I thought Edwards tried to take the first option a lot more last night and was competitive enough. Nothing special, but worth persisting with. The last think we need is another half back flanker, but I think he’d be good in that role.

19 one percenters in his first year with GWS, seven since.
Last week in the VFL showed his lack of football brains twice in the first half. Pity really because he has every physical attribute a footballer could wish for.
Just hope he can turn it around in the near future.

Most would’ve been spoils because he was playing in the backline.

Edwards says for you to SHUTUP

You might get to see him in the flesh this week. I hope he makes a liar of me but cant see it

It's not other players, it's Daniher, all the time, and you know that.

Its not just about Daniher its about some players being given more opportunities than others. Full Stop. You are the one that is fixated with Daniher.
Merrett played one crap game. He not only gets dropped he gets hammered by half the people on this site. And others have suffered similar derision, Ambrose, to name another. Gleeson…never going to make it. I could go on but I cant be bothered.
Yet other players we keep hearing about how good they are GOING to be. How they should be given opportunities because they are going to be good. They had a terrible game in the twos but they have potential.
Its a double standard. Daniher is just one example.

As for Edwards he will need to improve.

Lol.

Not many players start as well as Parish. Even some of the really good ones. I could name many with Jobe being a good example. I’m sure he’s glad to have next year contract though.

But Merrett with 5 from 46 is pretty bad, wouldn’t you agree with that?

No, I would not call it bad. Players take different amounts of time to develop. If you look at Patrick Dangerfield, I think you would find that the number of games for him to reach more than 5 games 20+ possessions is quite similar. I think it’s just a stupid way of judging a player.

That said I think he is lucky to be contracted next year and I’d love him to show some good form and consistency when he is recalled.

Give it rest. Seriously.

Give what a rest? Discussing the various players and the opportunities they are afforded? Or just things that dont agree with your version of the world?

As I’ve said in multiple threads, your Daniher hatred and fixation is pathetic. You remind me of Wilson and her Hird fixation. Even with Daniher doing better over the past few weeks, you need to go back to the same crap in another thread. Get a grip.

I’m not going to go over the same stuff I’ve said multiple times in other threads because it appears that your vendetta is above all else.

A general comment though. There is a lot that goes behind the scenes that you have no idea of. Things like instructions to players, the ability and willingness to change, follow directions etc. Some roles are more difficult to play than others and some have fewer options than others. Certain players are given things to work on and sometimes they can happen in the seniors and sometimes not.

making a SHAUNYE banner as we speak for saturday

Firstly I disagree about Hams. The young lad has had off-field dramas and deserves another year and is having a crack. McKernan has been injured and delisting McKenna is pointless as he’s a project player and a category B rookie.

I think Gleeson might be in trouble along with Edwards and Jerrett unless they can finish the season strongly and prove their worth on the list. I’d give them a go over top ups for the rest of the year so they can stake their claim in the side. It’s sink or swim time and only they can save their spots.

Im pretty sure gleeson is contracted till the end of next season, and judging by the amount of games he has played this season id be very surprised if he were moved on.

Im pretty sure gleeson is contracted till the end of next season, and judging by the amount of games he has played this season id be very surprised if he were moved on.

He’s only contracted til the end of this season.
I’d say if he gets dropped again he’s in a fair bit of trouble

Firstly I disagree about Hams. The young lad has had off-field dramas and deserves another year and is having a crack. McKernan has been injured and delisting McKenna is pointless as he’s a project player and a category B rookie.

I think Gleeson might be in trouble along with Edwards and Jerrett unless they can finish the season strongly and prove their worth on the list. I’d give them a go over top ups for the rest of the year so they can stake their claim in the side. It’s sink or swim time and only they can save their spots.

Jerrett is contracted next season. Gleeson and Edwards are not.