Former #19 - Shaunye

Didn't shepherd for Goddard in one piece of play which saw Goddard's kick get smothered.
That play reminded me of Under 10s where the stands 1 meter in front of their teammate demanding the ball, where they aren't old enough to know to either block for the kid with the ball or make space to receive it!

Edwards is exactly the type of player we require, he is just a poor mans version of that player

Christ, we’re picking on him for not shepherding now? Who do we have other than maybe Ambrose that actually shepherds occasionally? It’s an issue with most of our list.

I thought Edwards tried to take the first option a lot more last night and was competitive enough. Nothing special, but worth persisting with. The last think we need is another half back flanker, but I think he’d be good in that role.

19 one percenters in his first year with GWS, seven since.
Last week in the VFL showed his lack of football brains twice in the first half. Pity really because he has every physical attribute a footballer could wish for.
Just hope he can turn it around in the near future.

Showed way more than Irish and Redman in their games.

He should be showing more than Irish he only picked up a footy 2 years ago… Fact is he is lazy and not afl standard and will not be on the list next year

These aren’t fact at this stage, please don’t confuse facts and opinion. Stats are facts.

Had 10 touches in the first half when he appeared to have licence to get up the ground a bit more. Only 4 in the second when he seemed to play a little deeper.

Just let play him as old fashion winger like both he and long play at the vfl. Go back deep and follow out from your wing. Give the first release option at the flank if you are on the fat side wing.

Keep it simple for him try and put him in situations where he can run and break the game up. Encourage him to handball, accelerate and link up and just keep doing it and doing it.

Don’t use him as a hit up target, don’t use him as a crumber, doing use him as a deep target.

Then reassess in 3 weeks or so. If he isn’t averaging near 20 touches he is done.

BTW do the same with jerret when he comes in.

Merrett has averaged 19 this year at 79% ED, Edwards 50% ED.

I hope that is correct but I wish that was afforded to all players.

Jerret had one bad game and was dumped and hasn’t been seen since.

46 games 5 games he has 20+ possessions
Parish 9 games 8 games with 20+ possessions

Also Merrett has scored 2 goals in a game 3x
Parish already has a 2 goal game.

Merrett has been very average at AFL footy.

You may as well compare chalk and cheese because they are completely different players and an outside player generally doesn’t need a heap of touched to be effective,
I have no idea who chalk or cheese play for these days by the way.

There are a couple of spots on the ground that are easier than others...one being wingman, the other being the unaccountable "quarterback", or loose man in the backline.

Stop trying to find spots for guys in the easy spots…we need guys to play in the hard spots too.

We’ll have 26 wingers in our best 22.

Best 18

There are a couple of spots on the ground that are easier than others...one being wingman, the other being the unaccountable "quarterback", or loose man in the backline.

Stop trying to find spots for guys in the easy spots…we need guys to play in the hard spots too.

Best 18

Place your own bench players in the top right hand corner to make 22 !
Plenty of HBF’s and Wingers to choose from on our list.
Shouldn’t have any problems completing the emergencies either…

He stays, but he better get moving. 14 disposals ain’t gonna keep him on the list.

He stays, but he better get moving. 14 disposals ain't gonna keep him on the list.

A couple of goose steps should get him over the line.

Been waiting a while to see the word, laconic, misused again.

I thought he was handy.
Glad he got involved in some passages of play, was a bit surprised how quick he was with his hands in close.
I hope he builds on his game next week in WA.

He’ll play again next week but will need to do a bit more.

So? I’m not sure why Parish is used as an example when most would agree he’s had one of the most impressive starts of any player on our list from the last 20 years.

Merrett had 21 and 28 disposals in the first two games of 2016, had one shocker, and was dumped. Leon Baker’s point was that it is a good idea to give the kids a block of games, but Jerrett’s treatment seems pretty harsh. Giving Redman, McKenna, and now Edwards the chance to show something is a the right thing in what is fundamentally a development year. The over reaction to Jerrett’s one bad game seems odd given that, and I can understand Leon Baker pointing out that not all players have had this “safe to fail” attitude that others have received.

People need to get over the fact that most had him marked for delisting at the end of the year.

Did an adequate job on the weekend in his first game of senior footy for the year. Dealt with the Dreamtime build-up, which would have been a big thing for him. Picked up almost half his possessions contested, which I found really surprising, and happened to equal Parish Tippa and Zerrett in that stat. Got credited with 2 clearances, also really surprising, and only 4 EFC blokes got more.

He’s still towards the bottom of the 22 in terms of effectiveness, but he had a lot more impact on the game then McKenna / Polkinghorne / Redman managed the week before.

Good on him. Looking forward to him getting the ball in some space in the next few weeks.

So? I’m not sure why Parish is used as an example when most would agree he’s had one of the most impressive starts of any player on our list from the last 20 years.

Merrett had 21 and 28 disposals in the first two games of 2016, had one shocker, and was dumped. Leon Baker’s point was that it is a good idea to give the kids a block of games, but Jerrett’s treatment seems pretty harsh. Giving Redman, McKenna, and now Edwards the chance to show something is a the right thing in what is fundamentally a development year. The over reaction to Jerrett’s one bad game seems odd given that, and I can understand Leon Baker pointing out that not all players have had this “safe to fail” attitude that others have received.

He got a ‘block’ of 3 games at the start of the year & he’s about to get another 3 or 4 game block (maybe more if he fires up, but I don’t hold out much hope). You are comparing him to Redman & McKenna who have played single digit number of games, of course he gets different treatment to them, he’s in his 5th season.

He was absolutely pathetic in that Port game, when it was his turn to go (on numerous occasions), he stood back & spectated. He has played 46 mostly ineffective & unmemorable games, but just in case you forgot, he did have a 30 possession game once 3 years ago against a very ordinary & soft Carlton.

Anyone would think we had a potential superstar playing in the magoos, just waiting to be released on an unsuspecting public!

Minimum 2 snags this wk. He likes subi. LEAVE HIM IN

We need to draft more back pockets!

I would have thought Bird on the wing would be obvious…

I seed what you did there …

He got a ‘block’ of 3 games at the start of the year & he’s about to get another 3 or 4 game block (maybe more if he fires up, but I don’t hold out much hope). You are comparing him to Redman & McKenna who have played single digit number of games, of course he gets different treatment to them, he’s in his 5th season.

He was absolutely pathetic in that Port game, when it was his turn to go (on numerous occasions), he stood back & spectated. He has played 46 mostly ineffective & unmemorable games, but just in case you forgot, he did have a 30 possession game once 3 years ago against a very ordinary & soft Carlton.

Anyone would think we had a potential superstar playing in the magoos, just waiting to be released on an unsuspecting public!

And yet Daniher is afforded greater leniency after pathetic games because?

Erego… not all players are treated equally

Not many players start as well as Parish. Even some of the really good ones. I could name many with Jobe being a good example. I’m sure he’s glad to have next year contract though.

But Merrett with 5 from 46 is pretty bad, wouldn’t you agree with that?