Former #3 Scott Gumbletron

GUMBLETON%20Scott.png

Season Highlights
18 disps (12 kicks 6 hballs), 12 marks and 4 goals in Rd 4 37-pt win over St Kilda at Etihad Stadium (20 Apr 2013)

This was supposed to be year of the GUMB :(

Yeah…nah

Bent over badly by TRB. Talked into staying and then left out in the cold.

Was picked over Ryder for the Geelong game early in the season. Agree he seemed harshly treated at other times, but he was given some chances.

this is the first year I’ve written him off.

wishing him all the best for the future but I doubt it will be at Essendon.

Could have been anything.

I’m not privy to the game plan but I would hate to be a forward at Essendon ATM. There must be a bigger picture but it continues to elude me. In games when Gumby has looked ok the delivery to him has been woeful. Why you would kick the ball to the feet of a guy who’s 6"6 is beyond me.

If Hurley goes back does Gumby, Crameri and Joe make a forward line that’s too tall…or just right?

I think we need one more year to be sure.

Played one good game for the year, but was also in and out of the side, just didn't get a sustained run in the ones.

Was nearly useless when the ball went to ground.

Will most likely leave, wish him all the best.

Oh for what could have been, but never eventuated.

We have looked after him for a long time, but think it's time for Gumby to try his luck with another team, for his own sake as well as ours.

Played well when the team played well.  Played crap when the team played like crap.  Pretty much what you'd expect from a tall forward.

Should've been given a lot more chances this year than he was. 

I watched a few VFL games (5) and while he was ok there, he never really dominated and said with his performance ‘I must be picked in the seniors’.

Played a good game against St Kilda I think, but wasn’t really persevered with.

He has missed so much development through injury I don’t think he will be the key forward we were hoping for. JD will obviously be preferred. They can’t play all their talls in the fwd line.

As we face draft restrictions, I think he will be used as a trade.

I feel bad for him. Played well enough in his first 4 games (11 goals). Comeback game against Sydney in the wet. Can’t blame him for a crap game there. Then games against Pies and Eagles where we got flogged. Forward line delivery in the 2nd half was absolutely appalling. I may be an optimist but I think he’s still got plenty to offer to a team that will actually kick the ball to his advantage.

Will be sad to see him go cause I really wanted to see him succeed with us.

I feel bad for him. Played well enough in his first 4 games (11 goals). Comeback game against Sydney in the wet. Can't blame him for a crap game there. Then games against Pies and Eagles where we got flogged. Forward line delivery in the 2nd half was absolutely appalling. I may be an optimist but I think he's still got plenty to offer to a team that will actually kick the ball to his advantage.
Will be sad to see him go cause I really wanted to see him succeed with us.

Agree with this. He seemed to have some reasonable form early in the piece before the Sydney game. After that not much in the way of opportunity came his way.

I'm a fence sitter with Gumb at the moment. Part of me would like to see him given another year now that he has gone through the year injury free just to make sure. Another part of me would be happy to see him given the opportunity to go elsewhere and if we can't fit him in the forward line with a fit Hurley, JD and a resting ruckman (assuming we keep TBC).

I really want him to be the superstar we all thought he could have been!

He dropped or missed so many marks that Petrie Hawkings or Roughhead would take. he’s just not at their level.

for a long time i have said that the unfortunate thing with Gumby is he missed so much footy at the consolidation time of his development. At the time where he should be learning the league game, and having his body mature for it, he was on the sidelines. So when he finally got there, he had missed all that footy. he was a 24 year old with the league experience of a 19 year old and the body of a 32 year old, and it just doesnt work for KP's like that. 

That being said, over the last to years he has shown glimpses that this may not have been a concern, but this year it just never really stuck. For his own good he needs to get into a team that sticks him out on the park in the AFL and leaves him there.

We cant, and wont do that.

He dropped or missed so many marks that Petrie Hawkings or Roughhead would take. he's just not at their level.

35 games vs a bunch of over 100 games.

How was Hawkins going @ the 35 game mark? My recollection is he was pretty shithouse. And he had great delivery going to him.

Love the lad.

He has done absolutely everything right by the club that he could.

Now it's time for him to do the right thing by himself.  EFC should do everything that they can to place him on a list next year.

I agree with this, however the club actually owes him nothing. Years of keeping him on the list based on a promising junior career shows we really looked after him but he showed no more than Joe who also got shuffled in and out the side.

I believe the fact he played all year without injury and started to show some of the promise (even while competing with our raft of talented tall forwards and being brought in and out the side) will only have improved his stocks.

However, unfortunately for him, we have 2 great ruckman who can both kick goals and Joe.

IMHO he is last in line and will only stay if Crameri goes.

I like Scott and hope that everything works out for the best for him and the club, whether that means him staying or going, I guess we'll see.

Skillful player when fully fit, would get 100% game time up forward at another club that needs a tall forward option. Could still stay on at Essendon though.

Good luck to him, whatever he decides.