Former #3 Scott Gumbletron

I'm not too fussed either way.

I have a feeling that he's got quite a few niggles and will never be 100%, but they just kept throwing him out at VFL level to see if he can add any value while injured rather than wait to see if he miraculously made a full recovery.

Luckily for him Joe hasn't shown much either, (let's be honest, he's a liability at this stage), so there is about as much chance of Gumby dominating next year as Joe.

Our forward line is a real worry. Joe isn't anywhere near ready, Gumby might turn out okay but he's likely to have lot's of injuries, Hurley is frequently injured or playing under an injury cloud, and our highest goal scorers are Belly & Cremeri who haven't signed yet...

We might have no choice but to keep Gumby and play him.

Funnily enough, as I sit here reading this, I'm chewing Gum[b]

I reckon Freo would love to have him with Pavlich getting on.

Potential trade?

Potential trade?

An upgrade on Kepler?

Interesting that Lachie Hansen has only just come on this year........has taken him a long time after being drafted 3 behind gumby.

I think if Tbell goes gumby will be kept

Credit to both Gumby himself and Essendon for still being on the list with all the injury setbacks, plenty of players (or their clubs) would have given up long ago. I am a fan but becoming less and less convinced that it's rational to keep him. Deserves (on attitude at least) to get a shot at more senior footy and if another club will give him more opportunity a trade could turn out to be a win-win.

Bent over badly by TRB. Talked into staying and then left out in the cold.

I agree with this, however the club actually owes him nothing. Years of keeping him on the list based on a promising junior career shows we really looked after him but he showed no more than Joe who also got shuffled in and out the side.

I believe the fact he played all year without injury and started to show some of the promise (even while competing with our raft of talented tall forwards and being brought in and out the side) will only have improved his stocks.

However, unfortunately for him, we have 2 great ruckman who can both kick goals and Joe.

IMHO he is last in line and will only stay if Crameri goes.

I like Scott and hope that everything works out for the best for him and the club, whether that means him staying or going, I guess we'll see.

He is one that could become a casualty of the AFL draft sanctions on us. Being locked out of the first 2 rounds we need to either cut or trade. Gumby might elicit some excitement from a couple of clubs and we would have to seriously consider anything on offer for him. What he achieved this year will not have boosted his currency, but the club has invested plenty in him over the years and he has complied by sticking to the task of getting back and injury free. The unfortunate thing is l don't think we can afford to keep him any longer. 

Funnily enough, as I sit here reading this, I'm chewing Gum[b]

Not touching that one!

Bent over badly by TRB. Talked into staying and then left out in the cold.

I agree with this, however the club actually owes him nothing. Years of keeping him on the list based on a promising junior career shows we really looked after him but he showed no more than Joe who also got shuffled in and out the side.

I believe the fact he played all year without injury and started to show some of the promise (even while competing with our raft of talented tall forwards and being brought in and out the side) will only have improved his stocks.

However, unfortunately for him, we have 2 great ruckman who can both kick goals and Joe.

IMHO he is last in line and will only stay if Crameri goes.

I like Scott and hope that everything works out for the best for him and the club, whether that means him staying or going, I guess we'll see.

He is one that could become a casualty of the AFL draft sanctions on us. Being locked out of the first 2 rounds we need to either cut or trade. Gumby might elicit some excitement from a couple of clubs and we would have to seriously consider anything on offer for him. What he achieved this year will not have boosted his currency, but the club has invested plenty in him over the years and he has complied by sticking to the task of getting back and injury free. The unfortunate thing is l don't think we can afford to keep him any longer. 

I suppose you're right but I was originally thinking that some players might be kept on because they are better than whatever we would get if we cut or trade them.

What pick would you get for Gumby, pick 60? Pick 40?

I suppose it could lead to us being a bit more experimental with our later picks... experimental usually means picking up blokes that are from another sport or country, or have injuries, criminal records, poor attitudes etc.

Fevola anyone?

All I want is ONE MORE YEAR and then if they dont want GUMBY then let him go. Next year is gumbys year cant wait.

This may be a fanciful dream, but here goes...

Gumby version 2.0, set to be unveiled in 2014, carries a bit more weight, and plays a backup ruck role.

Just like what we are envisaging for Joe Daniher.

When I have seen Gumby do ruckwork, he has looked pretty comfortable with it, but I haven't seen him take any body contact.

Just didn't take his chances his year imo. Just doesn't have anywhere near enough tricks to his bow. Credit to the guy for getting over his injuries. The club has been great to him keeping him on the list for so long, with little return. I hope he gets a gig at another club. He just isn't anywhere near our best 22.

Potential trade?

Fyfe ?

I think we need to keep him around as insurance (like Hille this year) for the next two to three years at least. His “stock” will be about the same, unless he blows up and becomes better than Belcho or Paddy, then we have the luxury of picking the best ruck pair and trading someone worth a top 5 pick. If he doesn’t reach his potential, he’d still be young enough to be worthy of a first round pick.

After not playing for 4 years?

TWO first round picks. At least.

GUMB

Can't kick, but not too many of our forwards can...

He's actually one of our most accurate set-shots in the team. Crameri improved dramatically, Hurley also late.

T-Bell, Ryder and Davey have always been reliable. 

Maybe your thinking of Daniher?

He's actually one of our most accurate set-shots in the team. Crameri improved dramatically, Hurley also late.

T-Bell, Ryder and Davey have always been reliable. 

Maybe your thinking of Daniher?

Gumby isn't too bad from straight in front but he hasn't shown himself to be consistent yet. I don't mind if a guy misses a bit to the right or a bit to the left but when I watch Gumby have a shot I feel it could go anywhere.

Daniher has been pretty ordinary in front of goal... At senior level his set shots have been a let down and I thought he was sparaying them at VFL level too...

Belly's kicking used to be woeful, it's only really this year that we've been able to trust him to take the shot.

I think Gumby's problems stem from his confidence being shot, plus he wants to do well he puts a lot of pressure on himself.

I think we have seen the end of Gumbleton in the red and black. I was a big supporter but I don't believe he took his chances when given them this year. He has a big tank and can run with the best of them yet when he played he didn't have the confidence to either demand the ball or just go and get it. New club coming up for a new start.