Former #3 Scott Gumbletron

Bent over badly by TRB. Talked into staying and then left out in the cold.

Agree 100%. Second rate treatment - no wonder he wants out.

I don't agree with this. He was on a list competing for a spot like everyone else. If he had taken a mark and converted his opportunities it may have helped his cause. He drops too many marks and then provides nothing at ground level.

I don't agree with this. He was on a list competing for a spot like everyone else. If he had taken a mark and converted his opportunities it may have helped his cause. He drops too many marks and then provides nothing at ground level.

My point is that he was asked to stay because he had his body right then didn't get a consistent stream of games in which to prove his worth. It was Sheedy like in going in and out of the team but he had very good VFL form so for mine, should have played more AFL to see whether he actually could compete. FWIW I watched Crameri and Hurley drop marks and not compete at ground level, but that's splitting hairs, Gumby will go and we will see if he can cut it at another club.

My point is that he was asked to stay because he had his body right then didn't get a consistent stream of games in which to prove his worth. It was Sheedy like in going in and out of the team but he had very good VFL form so for mine, should have played more AFL to see whether he actually could compete. FWIW I watched Crameri and Hurley drop marks and not compete at ground level, but that's splitting hairs, Gumby will go and we will see if he can cut it at another club.

And he probably will sut it at another club just not ours.

Gumby shouldn’t have played a single game ahead of crameri or Hurley.

But those two missed heaps of footy, and Gumby didn’t always replace them.

There were a few times (especially the hawthorn game) where Gumby most certainly should have played in front of JD.

He didn’t get a great run from TRB this year, no doubt. But he hardly demanded it with his form in the seniors.

Gumby shouldn't have played a single game ahead of crameri or Hurley.
But those two missed heaps of footy, and Gumby didn't always replace them.
There were a few times (especially the hawthorn game) where Gumby most certainly should have played in front of JD.
He didn't get a great run from TRB this year, no doubt. But he hardly demanded it with his form in the seniors.

But Hurley did?

Rose coloured glasses Peos.

He didn't get a great run from TRB this year, no doubt. But he hardly demanded it with his form in the seniors.

But Hurley did?

I borrowed yours.
Hurley's atrocious, terrible year, was still far better than Gumby's promising year.
Hurley has more potential, has delivered more, attracts a better match up and is just plain better than Gumby.
Sorry Boot.

But Hurley did?

I borrowed yours.
Hurley's atrocious, terrible year, was still far better than Gumby's promising year.
Hurley has more potential, has delivered more, attracts a better match up and is just plain better than Gumby.
Sorry Boot.

Agree Hurley is going to be the better player. Did he massively outperform Gumby last year. No. Was he gifted games? Yes, many. Was he played when he shouldn't have been? Yes, many times. Was Gumby given a fair shot last year after we talked him into knocking back a 3 year deal from the Dogs? No way.

And please show me this far better year that Hurley had.

I know Gumby is gone.

I know Hurley will be our CHF.

But to say he seriously out performed anyone down forward last year is stretching the truth a bit.

Boot.

I agree Hurley seriously under performed. I also agree that Gumby should have played more games.

But we were a substantially better team with Hurley in it, than with Gumby.

I know you love the guy, but apart from the stkilda game, he was pretty Meh in all his senior appearances this year, even though he probably should have played more.

The annoying bit is, that 2013 was the year to finally make a call on Gumby. But he wasn’t given enough opportunity to prove one way or the other.

That part we are in total agreeance on. You just have to tone down your Hurley hate.

Hurley has been a massive disappointment, but not as big as Gumby.

Far better chance of Hurley making it to 100 games than Gumby.

I have no Hurley hate Penos. I have a dislike for the kid gloves treatment he gets that is all. And it has to make you wonder if a team that played off in last years GF think Gumby is worthy of a spot on their list, but we don't. It's not as if we are overflowing with KPF. We now have reduced ourselves to Hurley (who seriously has to step up when he's in the side, and you cannot have faith that he will last out a game), and a baby giraffe called Joe. That's it. otherwise it's resting rucks. Very very thin. Even if you think Hurley will become a good/great CHF, and Joe will be the best thing since sliced bread, it will not be next year, and for Joe, probably not the one after either. We should have played Gumby last year to 1) try different set ups for our misfunctioning forward line, and 2) to give him some trade curency if that was the way we decided to go. We did neither.

Well you'd ■■■■■■ hope so, given he only needs 21 more games versus about 65!
The thing is we need Hurley to play 250. If we kept Gumby and he got to 120 by the time he was 30, that'd be a good result, given his 1st 7 years.

I have no Hurley hate Penos. I have a dislike for the kid gloves treatment he gets that is all. And it has to make you wonder if a team that played off in last years GF think Gumby is worthy of a spot on their list, but we don't. It's not as if we are overflowing with KPF. We now have reduced ourselves to Hurley (who seriously has to step up when he's in the side, and you cannot have faith that he will last out a game), and a baby giraffe called Joe. That's it. otherwise it's resting rucks. Very very thin. Even if you think Hurley will become a good/great CHF, and Joe will be the best thing since sliced bread, it will not be next year, and for Joe, probably not the one after either. We should have played Gumby last year to 1) try different set ups for our misfunctioning forward line, and 2) to give him some trade curency if that was the way we decided to go. We did neither.

See, I agree with most of that.
Personally, I hope we keep him, because I think we need to. JD is a fair way off.
But I understand him wanting more opportunity elsewhere. Yes, it's a pity he wasn't given more time this year so we could make a definitive call, but that being said... The way we bring the ball forward, was never going to suit a skinny twig with zero body strength.
And you do have a little Hurley bee in your bonnett, it's ok to admit it. I'll still accept you for it :)

See, I agree with most of that.
Personally, I hope we keep him, because I think we need to. JD is a fair way off.
But I understand him wanting more opportunity elsewhere. Yes, it's a pity he wasn't given more time this year so we could make a definitive call, but that being said... The way we bring the ball forward, was never going to suit a skinny twig with zero body strength.
And you do have a little Hurley bee in your bonnett, it's ok to admit it. I'll still accept you for it :)

Truly Penos. No Hurley bee. I f I have a bonnet bee about any of our players it's Ryder. Should be Buddy, is Lindsay Thomas. At least Hurley tries.

Racist

Well you'd ■■■■■■ hope so, given he only needs 21 more games versus about 65!
The thing is we need Hurley to play 250. If we kept Gumby and he got to 120 by the time he was 30, that'd be a good result, given his 1st 7 years.

Thats my point, Hurley probably will be around for another 150 games, Gumby will be lucky to play 50 more.

If it takes 50 more games for HUrley to hit is straps at least we'll get 100 good games out of him.

By the time you pump 50 games into Gumby his career will be over.

think back to the geelong game.Ryder could of returned from his suspension. The club stuck with Gumbleton instead and he didn't perform. He just didn't take his chances when he was given them.

I actually think JD will be seen to be on par with anything Scott can turn out this year.

Obviously Joe went missing in games and for large periods this year. Of course this was bound to happen. There were games and patches however, where he looked completely comfortable and held his own on a lead. He also pinpoints other forwards when he has the ball outside 50 which shows good nous. I think if he plays 22 games this year (and I'm not saying this should happen) he would kick 25 to 30 goals.

I think Gumby is quite similar, but from what I saw, he didn't win any more contest marks that Joe (i'd say they're on par there), he didn't run further up the ground and deliver the ball into the forward line. I think when the ball hits the ground Joe is probably better as well.

So if it can be concluded that they are probably on par at this stage of their careers, play JD. He's younger and will ultimately be better (and is better equipped I believe to play at AFL level than a lot of other tall 18-19 year olds. Also, we're not allowing him to play sacrificial lamb in the ruck like a certain Collingwood/GWS ruckman was early in his career).

hahaha, "Penos"

Said on the radio,that he had 21 contested possessions for the year, & did not win one.