Former #30 Patrick Ryder - we dodged the bullet

LACONIC

DAMN STRAIGHT

Why are we interested in longer?

Knick knack Paddy Wack

Massive fan of Paddy, one of the most important cogs in our machine. Can be frusrating at times because we have all seen what he is capable of.

Will dominate the comp for many years

Massive fan of Paddy, one of the most important cogs in our machine. Can be frusrating at times because we have all seen what he is capable of.
Will dominate the comp for many years

He'd better hurry up and get started then.

I think we saddle the guy up with too much expectation. Just look at Hale. Because he looks awkward we think it’s a huge plus for him to go forward and take marks and kick goals, like it’s a bonus. Ryder does this as well and is a pretty good tap ruck but we expect more. I would like to look at his stats against some of the other rucks that are highly rated.

Ryder plays his best when the side needs him most, I would put him in the leadership group and tell him he has to start leading the way on the field, every game.

could win us a big final one day.

Ryder plays his best when the side needs him most, I would put him in the leadership group and tell him he has to start leading the way on the field, every game.

You seriously believe that?

Did you boo Salmon at Waverley and then Stanton a couple of years ago too?
Lay off a bit you've made your point over 3 times, expectations are way too high. Already a very good player & about to enter his prime.

Did you boo Salmon at Waverley and then Stanton a couple of years ago too?
Lay off a bit you've made your point over 3 times, expectations are way too high. Already a very good player & about to enter his prime.

I have never booed an essendon player in my life.

Expectations of consistency on a #7 pick with almost 150 games under his belt are too high?  I'd say yours are too low. He's a good player who should be more. Hopefully he gets there.

I’ve always said he should be our best player.

The likeness to S Michael was premature and unfair to Ryder.

There can only be one S Michael.

yes, not sure what it is but I just believe in the guy, it may be because he has given us glimpses of what he can produce when he is challenged.

He will be challenged again in these coming years, ecspecially in finals football and I think he will find that maturity and confidence from within himself to be the player we need him to be.

He will be a key player in helping us to a premiership flag.

Because is available and the media has linked us to him.
Blitz meltdown if we don't get him (even though we are set for rucks)

We are not set for rucks. We have 2. That's it.

But we won't be grabbing Longer.

We are not set for rucks. We have 2. That's it.
But we won't be grabbing Longer.
and I will cringe if they throw in Daniher as a fill in Ruck.... his body will be shoved around like a sack of spuds

yes, not sure what it is but I just believe in the guy, it may be because he has given us glimpses of what he can produce when he is challenged.

He will be challenged again in these coming years, ecspecially in finals football and I think he will find that maturity and confidence from within himself to be the player we need him to be.

He will be a key player in helping us to a premiership flag.

Count me as another who has voiced high expectations of Ryder. l am on here as saying l believe he could be our best ruckman since Madden. He still could be, but he needs to get a wriggle on to fulfill that expectation. Am l being unfair or unrealistic? l don't believe so, he could be that good. 

He's fantastic, versatile, flexible.  When he rules the ruck, makes tackles and kicks goals people complain that he doesn't move quickly enough.  I'd rather him casually getting in the right place at the right time than his little mate dashing around achieving SFA.  Essendon are a much weaker team without Paddy.  Yeah, much!

Stats are not everything but they are a starting point:

2013 Averages, disp, marks, goals, hit outs

Hale: 13.0, 4.1, 0.8, 16.9

Cox: 15.9, 5.4, 0.6, 27.1

Natinui: 11.6, 2.3, 0.7, 25.4

Sandilands: 9.2, 2.2, 0.3, 27.8

Ryder: 12.9, 3.9, 0.6, 22.8

Sandilands had an injury interrupted season (10 games i think)

I've got the impression Thompson's not a fan of Ryder, not surprised he's looking at Longer.