Former #31 Dustin Fletcher

Ang Christou and Leigh Colbert don't belong in that list ! 

Pretty much all of that list (everyone bar Chapman, Nicholson, Grgic & Atkinson) actually had a pretty decent career. Lot of 200+ gamers, 8 (I think) club captains, B&Fs, AAs etc etc

When you consider most guys have a 3 year career, that's an outstanding crop.

Originally had Kowal in the "didn't", but he got to 100 games. Who knew?

Glad he's going round again. While Hooksy has come along in leaps and bounds as the guy who orchestrates the back line it won't hurt for him to have Fletch around as long as possible to help him out.

The only problem I see with that, is when Fletch isn't around, full time, what then ?

If we pinch a flag in the next year or so, while he's still there, then hindsight will dictate it was a pretty good decision by player, coaches and club.

What happens if we don't sneak one, or just as we are going for a full on tilt for a flag, we have to deal with him not being there ?

On Fletchers year itself, a few more mistakes creeping into his game, but still playing pretty decent taking into consideration alot of things.

One thing that annoys me, with him and hooker, although I suspect it's more a team tactic, is them zoning off 10 meters behind their opponents.

And i'm not sure why it annoys me, cos up until the hawthorn game good and bad it'd only cost us 3 games, so despite this tactic letting through decent scores, it stopped it enough for us to win more games than not, maybe just tweek it alittle and when teams are hitting up their men, the coaches need to be more proactive with getting the backline to play closer to their men.

So really maybe it's more a coaches issue than a player, but yeah.

Glad he's going round again. While Hooksy has come along in leaps and bounds as the guy who orchestrates the back line it won't hurt for him to have Fletch around as long as possible to help him out.

The only problem I see with that, is when Fletch isn't around, full time, what then ?
If we pinch a flag in the next year or so, while he's still there, then hindsight will dictate it was a pretty good decision by player, coaches and club.
What happens if we don't sneak one, or just as we are going for a full on tilt for a flag, we have to deal with him not being there ?
On Fletchers year itself, a few more mistakes creeping into his game, but still playing pretty decent taking into consideration alot of things.
One thing that annoys me, with him and hooker, although I suspect it's more a team tactic, is them zoning off 10 meters behind their opponents.
And i'm not sure why it annoys me, cos up until the hawthorn game good and bad it'd only cost us 3 games, so despite this tactic letting through decent scores, it stopped it enough for us to win more games than not, maybe just tweek it alittle and when teams are hitting up their men, the coaches need to be more proactive with getting the backline to play closer to their men.
So really maybe it's more a coaches issue than a player, but yeah.
I think we can deal without 2013 version Fletcher. Assuming 2013 version Hooker stays around and Pears continues the upward curve he's been on the last 2 years.
After last year I wasn't so confident.

Am surprised he's giving it another crack, was starting to struggle and look a step behind the pace late in the season IMO, I guess he's not the type of guy to quit.

The pace thing was more a result of injury restricting him than age. 

I didn't think he looked a step behind?

I think he probably made a few more mistakes than he used to, that was still less than anyone else. I certainly don't subscribe to the theory that he struggled. That's just rot.  He has been so good for so long that people have higher expectations on him than anyone else. They think oh he's 37 or whatever, he must be getting slower. So what? When there are other players better than him, they will get their turn. Until then i couldn't care how long he plays or how old he is. It simply doesn't matter. 

Essendon champion Dustin Fletcher commits to play local footy with Essendon Doutta Stars

Chris Cavanagh, Moonee Valley Leader
November 6, 2016 12:04pm

ESSENDON champion Dustin Fletcher is set to return to the field next year after committing to play suburban football with Essendon Doutta Stars.

Fletcher, 41, met with Stars senior coach and former Bombers teammate Dean Wallis on Wednesday and has since advised that he intends to play for the Essendon District Football League club in 2017.

The 400-game defender had signed up to play with the Stars this year before being forced to spend the season on the sidelines as one of 34 past and present Essendon players suspended because of the club’s supplements saga.

However, Wallis said the two-time premiership player had kept fit and was keen to get back to the playing game he loved.

“He’s still got itchy feet and he still wants to play on the back of what happened (this) year. He still trains and runs and keeps fit,” Wallis said.

“He came down and watched a few games (this) year and understands how I operate. If we can get a few games out of him next year it will be great for the club.”

A two-time AFL premiership player, Fletcher retired from the top level after 23 seasons with Essendon at the end of the club’s 2015 campaign.

He sits fourth behind Brent Harvey (432 games), Michael Tuck (426) and Kevin Bartlett (403) for the most VFL/AFL games played.

Wallis — who played alongside Fletcher in Essendon’s 1993 and 2000 premierships — said he had no doubt the veteran would add plenty to the Stars’ squad on and off the field.

Dustin Fletcher flies for a mark over teammate Dean Wallis and Richmond’s Ben Holland in 1999.
“He’s one of the most amazing people that I’ve met in my time in footy,” Wallis said.

“Forget about playing football but just as a person. I love the bloke and anything we can do to help him and vice versa, I think there’s a mutual respect there.

“He sees an opportunity at Douttas that we’re not far away and I think he can add a little bit of value all over the ground and to the dynamics of the group with his knowledge. The legacy he could leave on the players would be amazing.”

Essendon Doutta Stars finished one game outside the top four in EDFL Premier Division this year.

And so the legend that is Fletch continues to inspire. Gotta love him!

Doutta stars attendance > gcs

Doutta stars attendance > north melbourne’s

Doutta stars attendance> EFC

Feel sorry for the forwards that he lines up on

HAVE A SHOT!

Great news. Bit surprised he hasn’t gone full circle and ended up at PEGS in the Ammos.

Feel sorry for the forwards that he lines up on

No need to feel sorry for them, they will feel very honoured. :slight_smile:

We didn’t post in Fletch’s thread last year, not once???

Congratulations on 400 Fletch!

Sorry that you couldn’t get back on the park at the end of 2015, won’t be the same without you, thanks for all the good times.

It’s bullshit you couldn’t walk on the oval for any of your boys games in 2016.

It’s great that you are getting back out on the park, I reckon you will still be upper AFL standard, so Wally will be pretty happy, enjoy yourself.

Ah, that’s better, up to date.

Bring him in.

Legend.

HAVE A SHOT!