Former #32 Travis Colyer

he was a match winner for a purple patch of 15 weeks.

and suspension or not, it’s still 2 years old, 2 and a half years more precious.

That is one hell of a small window of exposed form to be taking such a massive gamble on.

Stringer is a match winner, smith is a match winner, Saad gives us enormous run off the backline.

yet people still wanna hold onto a guy, on 15 odd weeks worth of form, cos " If" he gets back to that form he “could” be a matchwinner.

1 Like

I would prefer keep our 2018 draft picks than Trav, particularly given pigeon and smiths role in the middle / on the wing

I don’t disagree with what you’re saying but for mine Colyer’s best is as an outside mid with explosive pace. Stringer & Smith are forwards & Saad is a defender. Now maybe just maybe our attempts to turn forwards into mids may be successful with traded players because its been mostly a failure with draftees so my concern is that trading Colyer weakens our weakest area (not that he addresses the inside mid issue). I share your pessimism that he may simply never be able to recapture that purple patch but at the same time I think him doing that could well be a catalyst to the side having a genuinely good crack at winning finals next year.

I guess it ultimately has to be weighed up against what we are actually able to get for him but I can’t see any club giving a top 20-30 pick for him or any of the 3 clubs we want to trade with accepting him as straight swap so he would be traded for steak knives which is his realistic value based on the factors you’ve said. If he ultimately becomes the difference between landing 1 of our targets & missing out then like every player, he’s tradable, I’m just weary of trading him after a poor year, given the circumstances of missing so much footy.

If he stays and wants too

Better pull his finger out over preseason as he was gifted games this year and Worsfold you didn’t do any good by his potential in doing so.

You forgot out pick 26

But yes done

A lot of combinations out there but the 3 clubs are all fuming they chose a tainted club and are trying to use this fact to their advantage

No way would GCS or anyone else go for a deal like that.

1 Like

I’m against trading him for two reasons:

1. I am just a fan of the way he plays. Love watching him look over the shoulder, go “Nah, you can’t catch me” and turn on the jets when he has the ball.

2. He recommitted to the club less than 12 months ago, when he easily could have walked and got a gig elsewhere (considering his form prior to injury in 2015). Deserves more than a season to be judged, and his season was by no means awful. Showed plenty considering the amount of footy he has missed.

2 Likes

I’m more talking about our actual outs, for what we actually have now.

We never “really” had pick 26, just on traded it.

I love the fact that he is possibly up for trade

Shows we are becoming a bit more ruthless. You can’t play as poorly as he did all season and not expect to be in the chopping block

2 Likes

Agreed, his inability to pick up tbe ground ball was woeful.

Worth a 3rd rounder to a side that needs his pace.

A shame as that brief run of high quality games was awesome

1 Like

He is winning same amount of footy as a winger as he did when he was playing as a HFF for us in 2014.

Its all well and good getting 10-15 possessions as a fwd but we need much greater output in midfield. And whats more it’s a low possession count with ordinary disposal, can get away with small amount of possessions if damaging. He isn’t.

Runs fast but runs around in circles most of the time where the ball isnt. And fumbles it when he is near it.If only games like the Adelaide one weren’t once in a Blue Moon.

Will say however that the fatigue of the year got to most of the returning players. And that would affects amount of contests could get to, as well as disposal effectiveness.

So likely to improve somewhat but is not a natural ball winning mid it seems, and others will bypass him.

1 Like

utter rubbish

I hope we keep him. His value is virtually nothing to us in a trade but he is capable of playing pretty good footy for us going forward in my opinion.

That’s right, only expect to play 22 games - despite form.

argh see I don’t see him as a mid. maybe he was moreso this year. but at his best, he was a HFF who had an impact on games, similar to tippa and raz

having a quick look, that purple patch he only had over 20 possies 3 times. most of the time he was in the 15-19 range, but again had more impact.
so to me that aren’t midfield numbers, so therefore IMO we aren’t losing him from the midfield, if we indeed lost him.

and i’d agree, without the possibility of landing all 3 this year prolly wouldn’t bother trading him.

But he is still a player that is always going to have to be vigilant in his constant traning of his foot skills, cos the second he drops off from practising, he will drop off again like he did this year.

in 2014 from memory is was doing alot of extra kicking work to help rectify it, similar to watson did previously.
Coyler to me however is someone who is going to have to practice kicking every training session, every day, because when he doesn’t, something goes terrible wrong.

Again if there wasn’t the possibility of getting the 3 we could, i’d say keep him and take the punt that he can work through it.

but on paper those 3 improve us way behind what he can individually and as a whole, so if he can be used somehow in the trade, I hope they do it.

I get attached to our players and never want to trade them away…

BUT if we could get pick 30-something in return for Colyer, and then pick up a younger Hind-type replacement for 60-something, then it could make a lot of sense for Essendon.

BUT BUT, if I was Colyer, with 2 years remaining on my contract, I would dismiss the whole suggestion in about 3 seconds and refuse to go anywhere. So I will be shocked if anything happens.

If I was Colyer I’d be thinking my contract is the only thing in place from me being potentially playing VFL all next season as others surpass me, better pull my finger out this preseason as I am in my prime

Mmmm open to the idea but I’m not too keen on trading Colyer as we would most likely be ‘selling low’. Skills looked fine early in the season and preseason but then that all seemed to diminish. Perhaps because of fitness, which all the returning players seemed to battle with.

For the right price yes but the idea of trading in players is to improve your list. By offloading Colyer in place of say Smith I don’t think it improves it by much. Ideally we have both.

I think our pace is ok and we certainly don’t lose any by replacing colyer with Saad and Smith. Saad will release McGrath into the middle and Smith give us another midfield option and forward presence

1 Like

What if we buy low also