Former #38 -- Rhett Montgomerie

No rhetticence about Montgomerie.

2 Likes

Hope he never goes full Rhettā€¦

This a rhettorical question?

6 Likes

Great article - could be a good pick up - but he has grown since he was measured at the SA state combine in Ocotber at 187 cm

Smells of McDonugh type pick

ā€˜Over the moonā€™: Bombers make Montgomerieā€™s AFL dream come true

JORDON HUDSON 06/12/2022

Essendon draftee Rhett Montgomerie has had ā€œa crazy four or five daysā€ after having his AFL dream realised following his rookie draft selection by the Bombers.

ā€œItā€™s definitely sunk in now that Iā€™m hereā€ the mature age prospect revealed of his AFL opportunity in an exclusive chat with The Inner Sanctum.

Montgomerie played 21 games for Central District in the SANFL this season following some tough times in the lead-up to his eventual selection by the Bombers.

When asked what kept him motivated after missing out in previous drafts Montgomerie said: ā€œalong with not getting drafted, I didnā€™t even make any state teams as a junior at all, no 16s, 17s, 18sā€.

ā€œI saw a lot of my mates getting picked up in front of me and it was pretty tough to watch so I guess that gave me the drive and Iā€™m determined just to prove people wrong

ā€œI just love my footy, I always have, so itā€™s always been my dream so I didnā€™t give up.ā€

At 190cm, Montgomerie played as a key defender this season, using his height to take strong intercept marks.

ā€œAt Centrals in SA, I was more playing on the tall forwards but obviously I know when I come here Iā€™m going to be playing on more medium forwards, talls and smalls as well, so definitely going to be looking at a third or fourth tall role in whatever grade that is,ā€ he said of his role in the side.

Speaking on his learnings in the SANFL this season, Montgomerie labelled it ā€œthe best comp outside of the AFLā€ with ā€œa lot of good playersā€, as he prided himself on being ā€œreally professionalā€ and ā€œtraining really hard with intensity.ā€

While the 22-year-old did meet with Essendon, he wasnā€™t expecting to be taken by the club.

ā€œI had a zoom call with them a few weeks out from the draft and thought obviously they are keen, we didnā€™t really talk ever until the rookie draft in the afternoon and he (Rob Forster-Knight) kind of rang me a bit before and hinted that they might take me,ā€ Montgomerie said.

ā€œI wasnā€™t fully confident if it would be here.ā€

Montgomerie said he was excited by Essendonā€™s successful history of mature-age recruits such as Nic Martin and Massimo Dā€™Ambrosio.

ā€œThat definitely excites me that they saw that I was like that and can be beneficial for the club and so those lads have definitely really inspired me,ā€ he said.

Rhett Montgomerie at the NEC Hangar for day one of preseason. Image: Essendon Football Club

When asked which AFL players he bases his game style on, Montgomerie revealed other mature-age prospects such as Tom Stewart and Callum Wilkie were just a few of his inspirations for his game.

ā€œJordan Ridley here is a great player that I admire a lot, I love the way Shannon Hurn goes about it being a Barossa boy as well, and Jeremy McGovern definitely someone Iā€™ve mainly looked up to the way he reads the play,ā€ he said.

Montgomerie officially began pre-season training on Monday alongside the other Essendon draftees and the entire senior playing group under new coach Brad Scott.

17 Likes

He looked very good at training today I thought.

19 Likes

Can we agree on Monty as his nickname?

1 Like

Mr Burns

4 Likes

3 Likes

Monty took his own advice, and shaved those sideburns.

1 Like

Third tall defender, maybe, but he marks the ball like a KPF.

1 Like

We have unearthed a gem. Getting on his band wagon here and now.

2 Likes

Except he is a rookie so no great issue.

4 Likes

Nice article. Congrats Rhett. @Finding_Nino I donā€™t think heā€™s a McDonut type.

10 Likes

Nope, looks like a real defender with a bit of a Howe leap. Judges very well and takes good options hand and foot with little fuss. As ever it will remain to be seen if he can mix it up at the AFL pace of things

4 Likes

ā€œMy family is stoked for me, they know footy was my dream and that I went for Essendon.ā€

:smiley:

8 Likes

Kyle Hardingham vibes?

2 Likes

Hopefully heā€™s more of a Baguley/Hibberd type mature age defender.

2 Likes

I said a couple of weeks l am firmly on his bandwagon. Make no mistake about him succeeding, this guy is a Monty!

2 Likes