Former #40 Will “Snello” Snelling

Yes, we appeared to have played by the AFL rules and replaced like-for-like, can’t say the same for the other teams.

2019 SANFL stats

HEIGHT:

175cm

WEIGHT:

70kg

CAREER MATCHES:

CAREER GOALS:

LeagueLEAGUE

MATCHES PLAYED

PLAYING FOR

SCORING

GOALS

AV. GOALS

SCORING ACCURACY

100%

DISPOSALS

DISPOSALS

AV. DISPOSALS

DISPOSAL EFFICIENCY

68%

TOTAL STATISTICS

AV. KICKS

AV. HANDBALLS

AV. MARKS

AV. TACKLES

AV. CLEARANCES

AV. INSIDE 50S

AV. REBOUND 50S

AV. DREAMTEAM POINTS

7 Likes

Goes ok in that state league

Original Port Adelaide profile

Will Snelling was the captain of the South Australian Under-18 national championships side in 2015, and also played in West Adelaide’s 2015 SANFL premiership win over Woodville-West Torrens. A small midfielder, he is both fast and skilled and was the MVP for SA in the championships. Brings a hard-edge to his midfield work, but as a rookie will need to push extra hard to find his way into the team.

TIMELINE

Debuted against Gold Coast in the final round of the year after playing consistent football in the SANFL as one of the club’s leading state league midfielders. Showed plenty of promise.

Having made his senior debut in 2016, Snelling played the entire 2017 season for the Magpies. The smooth-moving midfielder averaged 20 disposals a game, and also kicked a goal.

Good luck Will.

If anyone drafted tonight plays 50 AFL games it will be quite an achievement.

1 Like

What was the knock on him in his draft year?

Seems to be replacing the Colyer list spot. Fast midget who can only play as a midfielder.

1 Like

From his draft year

AFL Draft: Will Snelling owns an excellent resume but is fighting for AFL chance

ANDREW CAPEL, The Advertiser

November 22, 2015 8:00pm

WILL Snelling polarises opinion.

His football pedigree is among the best on offer at Tuesday night’s national draft.

The West Adelaide inside midfielder captained South Australia at this year’s Under-18 national championships, was one of four Croweaters picked in the All-Australian team, won SA’s MVP award and played in West Adelaide’s league premiership side.

It is a CV few 18-year-olds can match.

But AFL clubs have concerns about Snelling, including his size (174cm), his outside game and his kicking.

That’s why instead of being a top-20 draft candidate Snelling is fighting just to find an AFL home, with some draft experts believing his best hope of fulfilling his dream is through the rookie draft.

“I know some clubs have some concerns about my game but I’m determined to prove them wrong,’’ said Snelling, who played 15 league games this year.

“There’s a couple of areas I know I need to improve but I’m prepared to work hard to do that.’’

Some of Snelling’s State teammates believe his all-round game, highlighted by his ability to win the ball in the clinches and distribute it well, his footy-smarts and leadership demand AFL selection.

“Clubs would be crazy to overlook him,’’ said SA and Norwood on-baller Luke Partington, who is tipped to be drafted in the 25-35 range.

Snelling has been interviewed by nine AFL clubs, including Port Adelaide which could swoop with a late draft pick, and describes his draft hopes as being “up in the air’’.

“It’s a daunting time waiting to see what happens because the clubs don’t give too much away,’’ he said.

“Being drafted is what all young players aspire to so it would be a dream come true if it happens and I can guarantee if I get an opportunity I’ll give it my best shot.’’

Snelling, who is studying to be a physiotherapist, models his game on hard-as-nails Melbourne captain Nathan Jones.

STICKS SAYS?

“Professionally he ticks all the boxes. Will does everything right and has a big appetite for workrate and the contest. He’s a tackling machine, he just loves it, and led the national under-18 championships in tackles. He’s just a really good inside mid.’’ - SANFL high performance manager Brenton Phillips.

WILL SNELLING

CLUB : West Adelaide

HEIGHT : 174cm

WEIGHT : 76kg

POSITION : inside midfielder

DRAFT RANGE : 50-Rookie.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/afl-draft-will-snelling-owns-an-excellent-resume-but-is-fighting-for-afl-chance/news-story/ca75051b5b8c5cee049c4a3720b8ad69

2 Likes

I reckon he sounds alright.

• finds the ball
  • wins his own ball
  • good work rate
  • 2 way runner who likes defence

Good luck and welcome will.

6 Likes

Found him!

18 Likes

Not tall enough to run through the banner.

3 Likes

And there it is
"But AFL clubs have concerns about Snelling, including his size (174cm), his outside game and his kicking.
"

No pressure Will but we kind of need you replicating this midget’s form this week vs Blues

4 Likes

Concerns with kicking. He’ll be right at home with us

5 Likes

It seems like Dodoro’s jackets, like his selections, have shrunk in the wash.

That midget goes all right

We have some thing to work with here.

Good bunch of midgets

I too am outraged that with this free and meaningless hit mid season we have selected a very solid contributor from the second best comp in the country who has exposure to the AFL system and displays many of the attributes we are lacking.

19 Likes

The snellster
makin’ tackles

1 Like