Fox Footy Top 5 dirtiest Essendon players of all time

Not often that a list loses credibility right from the first entry, but there you go.

3 Likes

Pickett was legit tough, hard at the ball and would obliterate any man that stood between him and the ball

5 Likes

Nobody has mentioned Roger Merrett yet?

7 Likes

Mark Johnson

I took my Canadian brother in law to the G to watch Essendon vs West Coast, ( It may have been the throat slitting game), and we had seats a row or two from the fence. MJ attached the ball as he often did, and a Weagle got there before him to take posession. So MJ picked him up, span him 180 degrees and pile-drived him into the MCG turf. Then stood over him and glared.
My brother in laws understated comment- " can you really do that?!!!"

2 Likes

Showing my age but from the 70s to now, no one compares to Ronnie Andrews.
He came from an era where outright thuggery was a tactic, and was, from my viewing, the best and longest term exponent of it.
There were a number of opposition players who came off worse for their encounter with him, and Hawthorn people talk of seeing him playing in the 83 Reserves Grand Final and feeling a lot more comfortable about being aggressive themselves in the main game.
Ron was going to retire that day, and take a few with him.
Not saying we would have won the 83 GF, but Iā€™d be thinking Colin Robertson wouldnā€™t have won the Norm Smith and that heā€™d have been unconscious in hospital at the time.

25 Likes

Actually, I thought the opposite of Pickett. IMO he often used to run past the ball to take out the man. Maybe it was to prevent himself from getting cleaned up if he put his own head over the ball.

8 Likes

The throat slitting game was at Colonial Stadium (now Marvel). I was there.

1 Like

Big difference between being tough or being dirty.

2 Likes

Ask Joe Misiti about the time he broke his jaw - and got off scott free IIRC

3 Likes

Ronnie was also the slowest player in the league by about 3 yards with crook knees. Interestingly no one ever managed to catch him when he went for a run through the middle !

2 Likes

I think Beaumont took on the whole of FC one day in the middle of Windy Hill.

1 Like

Not the toughest but i use to like ryan ā€˜rhinoā€™ oā€™connor in the 90s. I remember seeing him punch on against collingwood one day when the ball was at the other end of the field, was taking on about 3 guys like the incredible hulk.

5 Likes

However Ronnie did regret his tangle with Stewie Gull who decked him twice I think.

2 Likes

both good ballarat guys.

Aagree. Pickett was a gutless sniper.

1 Like

These players:
aaaa1
aaaa2

6 Likes

Yes, I remember that wellā€¦ was right in front of where we were sitting. I donā€™t think there was even a free kick given. Still cant believe he got away with that.

1 Like

I was at that game and saw the incident. Gull knocked Ronnie out cold with an upper-cut.
In his defense at the tribunal Gull said that when playing on an opponent like Ron you have to make sure that you get in first.

2 Likes

I was at the game and this is spot on, they needed him. To this day I cannot understand why Ronnie didnā€™t play. To my way of thinking playing him was a no brainer.

4 Likes

I think he paid the price for his reckless report and suspension against Fitzroy.