Fox Footy Top 5 dirtiest Essendon players of all time

Accidentally flagged your post there …

But wandered by this old thread as we wait for 2021 liftoff. Rhys-Jones hit on Diesel Williams and his one back on Rhys were legendary. Broke DRJ jaw did Diesel I think. Lucky to have played under age football alongside DRJ until the Swans scouted and grabbed him. Exceptional talent. He was never that dirty till well into his AFL years.

But the Battle of Windy Hill … you had to be there to appreciate that one. Ronnie and Cassin went wild. Both they and then add Hit man Roger and Tuddy. Those would be my EFC quad.

There’s a bit on an Essendon compilation video, Essendon player wearing 24…I assume around Misiti’s era but I can’t imagine how it possibly could have been him.
The ball goes out of bounds, he’s jogging back to position away from the throw-in, an opposition player is jogging towards the throw-in to get to the contest, and he just friggin’ drops him cold.
No way anyone could have expected it, and because of the throw-in no-one was looking.
Takes a few views to see what happens.

If you are talking tough footballers then Sean Denham has to be right up there. Sheedy would always have Denham tag Williams when we played Carlton. The same thing would happen every time we played them Williams would take Denham off the ball and then Denham would be crouched over holding his gut. Denham would recover and be full on tagging Williams again. This would be repeated more than once in a match

5 Likes

My memory has it that Grinter was out for longer than Wallace. Wallace’s jaw was broken but Grinter’s forearm got infected from tooth punctures. The human mouth/bite is one of the most infectious and dangerous in the world. Far wore than a dog.

Would not be Misiti who was a very fair player. One of my favorite players. Always delivered in the big games.

1 Like

Michael Werner. 1991 Elimination Final v Melbourne, Waverley.

5 Likes

Luke Hodge says hi.

After the whistle crushes wingards head into the post

5 Likes

That Grinter hit on Daisy Williams happened directly in front of me. The ball was loose, they were both going for it side by side, and Grinter just hit him. It was the most blatant thing I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

Thanks. It’s been bugging me for a long time.

1 Like

Holy ■■■■, this was the first thing that came to my mind. It was grotty AF. But I thought it was Craig Bradley he got. Happy to be corrected on that one. I vaguely remember Gerard Healy saying he ‘let one fly.’

If I had to pick 5

• Barry Young - had a few guernseys, but loved him when he had his stint with us.
  • Dean Solomon - more a ball player, but was tough, and scared the opposition.
  • Paul Barnard
  • Dean Wallis
  • Lovett-Murray - taking on the Carr brothers.

apologies MJ

2 Likes

Met all the players at the 2000 post season camp (I guess it was pre season).

Anyway, of all the people he seemed like the one who was a lovely bloke, and didn’t reflect the infield image he had. Come to think of it, never recall him whacking anyone.

The Shane Ellen of the 2000 premiers.

1 Like

one of my fondest memories is seeing Don McKenzie belting Crackers Kenin ? - I cant spell, you get the picture- at the G one day, thats my recollection anyway.

1 Like

On a windy day he was the only one kicking them straight.

Don’t think I’ve even watched that game after being there on the day.

Should’ve been a 15 goal drubbing.

Seriously though, how much would it suck to be Shane Ellen?
I won two premierships!
Sure you did.
I kicked five goals in one of them!
rolls eyes. Uh-huh.

3 Likes

Barry Hall says Hi.

1 Like

But… but… How can you leave out Phabulous Phil Carman ?

Probably Michael Werner. He could dish them out and had a short fuse.

Zero fuse in this case.
It’s the worst thing I’ve seen an Essendon player do.
Matthews/assault ish.