Fringe Players for 2015

I'm interested to see if Hird has any favourites or otherwise different to Bomber.

Will Hurley stay back for 99% of games or will we see him up forward a bit more often?

Will Zach Merrett be a regular fixture? Gleeson?

Will Kommer/Jerrett/Melksham be best 22 auto-selections?

What about Chappy? Is he auto-select when fit?

How much will Fletch be rested? Will he retire on 400 games? Or is he a lock if we play finals?

Will Joe Daniher be pencilled in for 22+ games?

Something has to give, you can't fit all of the following in a team...

(And yes, this is a sneaky reverse best 22 thread, so here goes...)

Fletcher/Hooker/Baguley

Hibberd/Hurley/Dempsey/Gleeson

Watson/Heppel/Stanton/Howlett/Goddard/Cooney/Myers

/Hocking/TBell/Zacka/Colyer/Melksham/J. Merret

Carlisle/Chappy/Winderlich

Daniher/Ambrose/Kommer/Z. Merret

There's 27 names above, so pick 5 guys who have to miss out and 1 who can only be sub...

Obviously most of those mids will play a fair bit of time forward or back too...

And that's not including guys' like Pears, Stein, Hams, Browne etc...

Everyone is assuming we have a healthy list for the majority of the year. we won't

and we have depth for smalls so will be able to rest chappy/winders if needed and other sore players.

Fletcher probably gets a rest when we play the teams without 3 key talls. or we send Hurley forward and drop ambrose.

What we should have is a settled lineup. but if Kav/obrien/etc are dominating in the reserves they will get their chance. And that is what it will take which is a good thing.

Big question marks for me are Melksham is he a hird favourite can he improve his game again.

Defence is solid, but can we squeeze gleeson and gwilt in back there?

Young midfielders - Hams/Browne/kav/obrien/mckenna/ Jerrett/zerrett what role will they play in our lineup.

Can Kommer, Dalgleish and Hams be injury free and make a difference to the side

Really need to draft a key tall in the ND. (Goddard fingers crossed)

Sure there will be injuries but I think we'll have a pretty good side lining up in the VFL.

I've bolded the guys who would be most likely to miss out if Bomber was coach, but with Hird coaching it could be Chappy/Ambrose/Dempsey/Myers/Fetcher who get the ars* instead, who knows.

Fletcher/Hooker/Baguley

Hibberd/Hurley/Dempsey/Gleeson

Watson/Heppel/Stanton/Howlett/Goddard/Cooney/Myers

/Hocking/TBell/Zacka/Colyer(sub) /Melksham/J. Merret

Carlisle/Chappy/Winderlich

Daniher/Ambrose/Kommer/Z. Merret

Then there's the surprise inclusions which would mean MORE ingrained players have to miss or be injured. I really can't see Pears/Gwilt/Hams/Browne/Dalgliesh/Van Unen/Ashby/Stein/NOB/Dell/McKenna/Thurlow getting much more than a game each unless we hit serious injury trouble.

Giles will probably be a regular though as surely he'd be straight in if Carlisle/Daniher/TBell/Ambrose were to miss (and they will, no doubt).

Dalgliesh

O'Brien

Stein

Kav ( traded )

Will be delisted end of 2015

For the Bombers to move forward I think Stanton might struggle to hold his spot.

he also had some kind of injury (hand/thumb?)  if I recall , that coincided with his form slump.  (J.Merret)

btw, are those boys the sons of Roger Merret?

Don't know their relationship to Roger but, I remember hearing they are great nephews of former old Collingwood star Thorold Merret

Dalgliesh

O'Brien

Stein

Kav ( traded )

The great thing about that list in the OP is that 2015 has to sort them out. We have to know.

Arguably O'Brien and Dalgliesh have shown more than KAV, certainly true of O'Brien's VFL form and KAV wanted to walk. 

The real issue for me, and posted this elsewhere erroneously, are the holes our aging list will have 2016+ yet require these types to fill.  Baguley , Chapman, Cooney, Dempsey , Fletcher, Goddard, Hocking, Hooker, Stanton, Watson, Winderlich. 

Some may have three years in their legs yet, but not all for age nor form reasons. Generally that is the lead time on a developing squad. Things are going to be a challenge for the list manager if none of these guys are up to it beyond Jobe's era or we only get the standard one or two who do make it. 

This is part of the sanctions imposed and too early for chicken little stuff. Dodoro has been good to date but the challenge is ahead.

Settle down.

Jobe/Goddard/Stants (and now Cooney) age group we look at getting guys in from (or before) now, hopefully up to speed by 2015-16.

Hocking's 26. Baguley and Dempsey 27. We look at replacing them after 2015-6 with guys hopefully up to speed by 2017-8 ish.

Next year we're looking like a bunch of changes (Winders Fletch Chap, plus a lot of kids who haven't done anything yet come out of contract). We'll have a full set of picks then, so it'll make more sense to do a bunch of changes.

Settle down.

Jobe/Goddard/Stants (and now Cooney) age group we look at getting guys in from (or before) now, hopefully up to speed by 2015-16.

Hocking's 26. Baguley and Dempsey 27. We look at replacing them after 2015-6 with guys hopefully up to speed by 2017-8 ish.

Next year we're looking like a bunch of changes (Winders Fletch Chap, plus a lot of kids who haven't done anything yet come out of contract). We'll have a full set of picks then, so it'll make more sense to do a bunch of changes.

18, 36, 54, 72 - we are going smash the 2015 draft :0

You've forgotten all about priority picks, Hawthorn and Carlton will be so god-awful they'll need 5 first round priority picks and our first pick will be at 28.

We've got 8 father son kids coming up though, all shaping as potential pick 1s.

So we'll effectively take pick 1 at #28, pick 0 at #46, pick -1 at #64...

Melksham is a fringe player going on observed form this season. Needs a ,massive improvement or others will quickly go past him. 

Dalgliesh

O'Brien

Stein

Kav ( traded )

I agree on O'Brien and Kav, but would love them to prove me wrong.

Dalgleish will stay. 

If Stein's not getting an opportunity due to the quality of our tall backs he'll be worth a trade. Surely a team like the Doggies could use a high-flying backman? They don't have much back there.

I notice Van Unen keeps getting a mention in this thread (and on the list of players by the OP)....he is gone. He was delisted along with Gregory, Jetta, Hardingham etc.

If there is one player on the list that turns up from the offseason with a fringe, they should be delisted.

There are a LOT of guys who would be fighting for the AFL life. Kav, Aylett, Dalgiesh, NOB, Hams, Browne, Ashby, Pears, Stein as a minimum probably have to show something or be let go at the end of 2015. Kommer, Gleeson, Edwards all have contracts but would want to start establishing themselves in the senior team. Jerrett may have enough brownie points to be safe for 2016, but may not.

Melksham is a fringe player going on observed form this season. Needs a ,massive improvement or others will quickly go past him.

This is a little contradictory. He’s still ahead of most of the other fringe players, so he only needs a “massive improvement” if one or more of them do. Personally, I don’t think he needs to improve much to be fighting for a best 22 spot.

I notice Van Unen keeps getting a mention in this thread (and on the list of players by the OP)....he is gone. He was delisted along with Gregory, Jetta, Hardingham etc.

Ummm...look closer. The only mentions of him in this thread were before he was delisted.