Full club review

Let’s see how many of the Execs and for that matter senior players are at Port Melbourne on Sunday supporting the VFL boys. Will tell
us all we need to know.

10 Likes

Good post Ivan. I feel the same

Not sure if anyone else has listened to the recent ‘Sacked’ podcasts, but Choco Williams & Spud Frawley (yes, I know) have both talked about their own experiences in terms of applying for the head coach role and selecting Bomber. There seems to be a prevailing issue within the club (as evidenced pre and during saga) that a review may not be able to fix.

McGrath was a free hit #1 pick. Can’t give the recruitment team any credit as any of the top #3 in that draft would have been a steal. Will be a gun.

Saad - tick
Redman - tick
Smith - tick
Shiel - overrated, we paid overs & is a turn over merchant.
Stringer - good year but I damn hope he had the flu as he was almost inexcusably pathetic last night being the only winning GF player on our team.
Francis - had a great night & likely to become a very good player but has been inconsistent and had fitness issues for a pick 6.
Parish - great second half of the season, ■■■■ poor final when the heat was on.
Lav - for a first rounder he hasn’t been ideal. Trade if any value
Shuey The Langford - laconic battler
Myers - bust for a top 6. Cyril
Hurley - really good value for a pick #5
Hooker - great pick up late in the draft

But let’s go back through the drafts under Dodoro & name a single brute inside gun midfielder that he drafted?
Jobe was father/son so it’s been a massive miss.

We haven’t had a successful ruckman post Alessio. You could argue David Hille in his latter years. Mr Instagram has been a pathetic waste of a decade.

I’ll agree we’ve traded much better in the days of free agency but our draft/development hasn’t been pretty ■■■■ poor. We had a solid spine but haven’t had a decent midfield since the days of Jimmy & JJ. Even I’n those days we were blessed that we had a freak like Hird who would take himself into the guts when needed & do the job & 4 men.

1 Like

A lot of recent ticks and not many fails.

Yes. And I think if you are going to do a review you get business analysts and management consultants to do it, and to look at successful sporting clubs world wide in all sorts of codes.
If you aspire to be the best you need to know what the best are doing, and how they got to where they are.
Reviewing what we are doing won’t help at all.
It’s less about what we are doing, and more about what we are not doing.
That’s when you get change.

Reviews are done for two reasons.

To cover your ■■■ - Not needed.

Or to bring in radical change. But we all ready know the board is not at all interested in that.

1 Like

Almost all those guys are small/light for their position. Redman is reasonable height for a half back but light… will fill out. Francis and String shortish for kpp. Smith, walla, McGrath, Guelfi… nuff said.

Not good recruitment based on the monstering we got last night and the fact all our big guys are falling off a cliff at the same time.

1 Like

From what I understand Richardson has been doing a pretty in depth review and has been slowly moving people on, as much as he was allowed to during that time. I expect more changes coming up.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s true. Interesting to see the rest.

Then he’ll get rutten as coach. Because that’s what he wants

1 Like

I think it’s a fair point…
The concern I have, is that we started the season exactly the same way as the season prior.

Their sole focus is revenue driven like most private sector businesses. The more people keep signing up, the happier they are. Success onfield is secondary to these geese.

1 Like

Absolutely correct that we hold on to people for far too long.

Jackson Merrett being on the list in 2017 and 2108 and then Jake Long and Marty Dea prove this. I reckon everyone on this forum thought they probably should have been delisted last year. They weren’t, and then even with our horrid injury run neither could get a game.

I Dea was delisted, and then redrafted apparently after a bit of uproar from the players.

When you think about that and the apology players asked for from Xavier about the tweet after the 2017 Brisbane game you wonder if the tail is wagging the dog.

There is a lot to sort out.

2 Likes

What a load of horse ■■■■.

Reviewa are only done to justify a tough decision you know you need to make.

I could be wrong. I said apparently because there was talk of that on this board and in the press.

If a fringe player was redrafted because of an uproar from the players I’d be very, very surprised.

But hey, this club does push the boundaries.

Isn’t this why we hired Dan Richardson last year?

Yep and it is what he has been doing, hence a number of people who have moved on.

2 Likes