Game Day v the elderly cats, round 1 2022

Please don’t be too ■■■■ Essendon.

5 Likes

Not necessarily the case. Round 7 2019 was a Geelong home game at the G on a Sunday. Got 63,527.

Feels like the game hasn’t been marketed particularly well though and has been lost in the Dees Dogs/Carlton Richmond hullabaloo.

But whatever, bring on the cats!

Any tragics out at the Hangar with a report on who’s lining up there?

How many goal Joe daniher ki- oh

1 Like

giphy-2.2022-03-19 10_52_07

23 Likes

2.5 hours (my wife asks this same question every time I sit down to watch)

2 Likes

Good morning everyone!

I hope we go well today, but I’m not expecting a win. Missing 4/6 of our best22 forwardline is not a great start, and I don’t know how we’ll contain Hawkins, Cameron and Ratugolea. I think Smith will deserve a vote if he keeps his mouth shut in front of the umpires.

On the plus side, we’re not playing Geelong in Geelong, neither Mollision nor Razor Ray is umpiring, our back7 is first choice, we have our midfield of Draper, Caldwell, McMerrish, Shiel, Langford, and Cox all available at the same time, and we have some exciting debutants. Geelong are also missing a couple of their best22 too.

No injuries, remaining compeititive throughout, 2-way running (not jogging, like we saw in the last few weeks,) and not conceeding red-time goals would be good. Kicking it to our tall forwards’ heads instead of their feet would be good too, as would not handballing it to our teammates’ feet. Improvements in these areas would show we can be better than last year.

We have scope to outrun them, but it will require a team effort; our backs need to contain their forwards (I’m relying on Lav to crash packs and Ridley to intercept everything in sight, which imo is not an unrealistic expectation.) Our mids need to put pressure on their i50 entries to help out our backs, and our mids also need to win clearances and deliver well i50, not allowing their backs to take dozens of intercept marks, and our forwards need to bring the ball to ground, apply pressure, and kick accurately.

Go Dons!

4 Likes

It was only 110 points, not 120 ! Stop exaggerating

1 Like

It looks like Geelong doesnt have any reserved seat holders.

1 Like

Saturday arvo at the G
Warm day
First game of the season
Selwood getting soft free kicks all day
Essendon fans going ballistic
Oh baby, I”MTHERE

8 Likes

Any reason why they’ve done away with the country game concept?

I know what I’m hoping for, but not really sure what we’ll get.

It’s not our best 22 so I’m neutral on expectations.

Realistically, I just want us to show clean skills, work hard to create opportunities, and minimise making dumb decisions. Do that and we’ll be a good chance to win today.

Look forward to seeing how the new kids go.

5 Likes

I didn’t think they have? There’s the country festival happening right now.

2 Likes

Come on!!

I’d actually like to see a Vic metro v Vic country game played like in the tac cup but with the best AFL players selected. It would be like an all stars game and the country bumpkins would love to beat metro. Thinking about it our 3 best players would be Vic country reps, merrett, parish and stringer.

I’m here early and just saw SWWNBN :face_vomiting:

1 Like

so Essendon by 3 points?

No Essington today please

Make it top 4 players with Hobbsy