Game of Thrones TV show mega thread

So a mini-recap, here's basically why LF's involvement is interesting:

[spoiler]Eddard is the head of House Stark and Lord Paramount of the North. He is a dedicated husband and father, a loyal friend and an honourable lord. Eddard becomes Hand of the King to his lifelong friend, Robert Baratheon, when the previous hand dies in suspicious circumstances. He follows his predecessor's footsteps and uncovers an incestuous relationship between Queen, Cersei Lannister, and her brother, Ser Jaime Lannister. Robert dies after being injured while hunting and Eddard challenges the legitimacy of his successor, Joffrey Baratheon, but is betrayed by his political allies and arrested for treason. He confesses to the crime to protect his family, but is nevertheless executed due to Joffrey's impulsive ■■■■■■. The conflict between House Stark and House Lannister sets the stage for the War of the Five Kings.[/spoiler]

So about last night...[spoiler]Baelish wants power, and now he's basically Lord of the Eyrie, with the only known live heir of Winterfell up his sleeve. Not sure if he wants the Iron Throne but whatever his plans are, they are big, "I want it all" I think he said.

He seems to thrive on chaos. Murdering Jon Arryn for finding out about the incest helped the Lannisters, but getting Ned to become the Hand didn't help the Lannisters but started a big war. Killing Joffrey was good for the Tyrell's and probably the realm, but not the Lannisters, maybe it just gave him an opportunity to spirit Sansa away (with her agreement as she is now wanted for murder). [/spoiler]

Really hard to know what his motivations are, my theory is that he's got something to do with (just my theory here, so only a spoiler if it turns out to be true) [spoiler]the Iron Bank of Braavos who seem to keep being mentioned. Maybe the realm (Westeros) will become bankrupt due to LF's meddling and the Bank will appoint him as ruler as a thank you?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

Alternatively, I wonder if he is white-anting for the Targaryans (though not working directly for Dany, just on her behalf)?

[/spoiler]

So a mini-recap, here's basically why LF's involvement is interesting:

[spoiler]Eddard is the head of House Stark and Lord Paramount of the North. He is a dedicated husband and father, a loyal friend and an honourable lord. Eddard becomes Hand of the King to his lifelong friend, Robert Baratheon, when the previous hand dies in suspicious circumstances. He follows his predecessor's footsteps and uncovers an incestuous relationship between Queen, Cersei Lannister, and her brother, Ser Jaime Lannister. Robert dies after being injured while hunting and Eddard challenges the legitimacy of his successor, Joffrey Baratheon, but is betrayed by his political allies and arrested for treason. He confesses to the crime to protect his family, but is nevertheless executed due to Joffrey's impulsive ■■■■■■. The conflict between House Stark and House Lannister sets the stage for the War of the Five Kings.[/spoiler]

So about last night...[spoiler]Baelish wants power, and now he's basically Lord of the Eyrie, with the only known live heir of Winterfell up his sleeve. Not sure if he wants the Iron Throne but whatever his plans are, they are big, "I want it all" I think he said.

He seems to thrive on chaos. Murdering Jon Arryn for finding out about the incest helped the Lannisters, but getting Ned to become the Hand didn't help the Lannisters but started a big war. Killing Joffrey was good for the Tyrell's and probably the realm, but not the Lannisters, maybe it just gave him an opportunity to spirit Sansa away (with her agreement as she is now wanted for murder). [/spoiler]

Really hard to know what his motivations are, my theory is that he's got something to do with (just my theory here, so only a spoiler if it turns out to be true) [spoiler]the Iron Bank of Braavos who seem to keep being mentioned. Maybe the realm (Westeros) will become bankrupt due to LF's meddling and the Bank will appoint him as ruler as a thank you?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

Alternatively, I wonder if he is white-anting for the Targaryans (though not working directly for Dany, just on her behalf)?

[/spoiler]

Well yes, that's a possibility, though I kind of assume he's on the opposite side to the spider, who seems to be trying to be barracking for them (or has at least helped them at some stage, though it gets confusing guessing his motives which can change over time).

I suppose if [spoiler]the bank wants to oust the Baratheon (really Lannister/Tyrell) regime then they will need a big army, so they could back Dany who seems to be amassing a formidable army. She already has the Unsullied & The Second Sons (?), a fleet of ships plus a heap of slaves that will join/fight for her cause. And 3 dragons which are capable of obliterating Kings Landing between lunch and afternoon tea. Where would this leave LF though? Could he marry Dany? That would suck. I want Dany & Jon Snow to align at some point. Initially I thought they could destroy the white walkers but now Im thinking there needs to be some kind of peace brokered...[/spoiler]

Good ending to episode 6. Things are building up nicely

Looking forward to it!

I WISH TO CONFESS!!!

I WISH TO CONFESS!!!

Loved it

[spoiler]TRIAL BY COMBAT[/spoiler]

Some big changes from the books in relation to how major plot points unravel, can’t be sure what will happen now!

F*CK THE KING

Some big changes from the books in relation to how major plot points unravel, can't be sure what will happen now!

that's interesting... care to elaborate on what the changes are at this point?   I have only read book one and probably wont be getting to the rest, but it appears from reading things on this site and on a few articles, that up to now at least, pretty much all the major stuff has been replicated, so I am really intrigued about how it might be deviating now!  I assume it is because the books are as yet unfinished and the show has to have an end that might come before the books are done, and that specifically, the changes you have observed have something to do with the trial or Stannis or Reek/Greyjoys/Boltons since these were the main focuses of the episode?

I think that was my favourite episode of the season so far.

Tyrion's scenes were great, show has missed him so much this season.

Also they should've just cut the Greyjoys out completely from this show, Theon was a waste of time all last season and the LETS CRAM EVERYTHING INTO FIVE MINUTES scene was ordinary. I will avenge my brother! Oh wait ... they have a dog. Nevermind.

Book spoiler question:

[spoiler]

Vary's is involved in Tyrion's escape so why did he testify against him again? I can't recall.

[/spoiler]

Was that the first episode in all 4 seasons not to feature a Stark or at the very least Jon Snow?

Was that the first episode in all 4 seasons not to feature a Stark or at the very least Jon Snow?

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure there was 1 or 2 Lannister heavy episodes last season that was Stark-less as well.

Good episode. Fantastic episode. Although I agree on the Greyjoy's; get rid of them. We all know that Theon is going to cut Ramsey Snow's throat and escape anyway just get to it already.

I was talking to my cousin after the episode and said how it's funny my opinion on the Lannisters has changed. At the start of the series I was barracking for the Starks and wanted them to kill all the Lannisters, now they're my favourite characters. Everyone else is so bland at the moment.

Also they should've just cut the Greyjoys out completely from this show, Theon was a waste of time all last season and the LETS CRAM EVERYTHING INTO FIVE MINUTES scene was ordinary. I will avenge my brother! Oh wait ... they have a dog. Nevermind.

Book spoiler question:

[spoiler]

Vary's is involved in Tyrion's escape so why did he testify against him again? I can't recall.

[/spoiler]

ALSO A BOOK SPOILER

[spoiler]

From memory,  Jamie cornered Varys and threatened to kill him if he didn't help Tyrion. 

[/spoiler]

Guys please prefix your spoilers with whether they spoil the TV show or the books.

Though, from memory the rules of this thread were spoilers for books, and the thread assumes you've watched up to the latest episode.

Heads up Game of Thrones fans: tonight's Writer's Room episode on ABC1 (10pm) looks at Game of Thrones. Basically a 25min interview with its creators and a few other GoT writers

Book spoiler question:

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

ALSO A BOOK SPOILER
[spoiler]
From memory,  Jamie cornered Varys and threatened to kill him if he didn't help Tyrion. 
[/spoiler]

Book and show [spoiler]
I'm guessing testified just so down the track he didn't look like a sympathiser...[/spoiler]

Some big changes from the books in relation to how major plot points unravel, can't be sure what will happen now!

that's interesting... care to elaborate on what the changes are at this point?   I have only read book one and probably wont be getting to the rest, but it appears from reading things on this site and on a few articles, that up to now at least, pretty much all the major stuff has been replicated, so I am really intrigued about how it might be deviating now!  I assume it is because the books are as yet unfinished and the show has to have an end that might come before the books are done, and that specifically, the changes you have observed have something to do with the trial or Stannis or Reek/Greyjoys/Boltons since these were the main focuses of the episode?

Book and show differences [spoiler]
Ok, we'll they seem to get to the same major plot points, but they get there a different way, or they ad in things that never happened, I guess to develop characters, or to create tension when they need it, or just to show characters more that have become fan favourites.
In the books Theon's sister doesn't try and rescue him from the Dreadfort, that never happens. I suspect Ramsay is a popular character, and they wanted to keep the Greyjoy storyline alive as they didn't really have much going on at this point in the books. I guess it was a good way to show how far gone Theon is, with action rather than just dungeon stuff.
Also, Shae didn't testify in the books... Edit: Ummm, I stand corrected - yes she did!

Jon never raided Crasters Keep in the books, though it was a great way for him to earn the other Brothers respect back after joining the Wildlings. It also added tension and linked in with Bran, who otherwise would have just been off freezing in the snow having D&M's with Jojen, Meera and Hodor.
In the books it was a big thing that Sam wasn't allowed to tell Jon he'd met Bran too. And that Locke character was known as Vargo Hoat in the books and never went to the Wall to kill Jon.
In the books you never got to see the White Walkers have their little ceremony or anything like that, they seem a bit more civilised in the show, not just zombies... That could also be because the book is written from one characters point of view at a time, and we haven't been inside a white walker yet.
[/spoiler]
So yeah, enough changes to keep book readers guessing how this season will unfold. The book ends in a really awesome, spectacular fashion, and the TV show could be even better.

Book spoiler question:
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

ALSO A BOOK SPOILER
[spoiler]
From memory, Jamie cornered Varys and threatened to kill him if he didn't help Tyrion.
[/spoiler]
Book and show [spoiler]
I'm guessing testified just so down the track he didn't look like a sympathiser...[/spoiler]

book spoiler
[spoiler]i thought he testified against him because he had to get him found guilty so he was moved into a place to await sentencing. From their Varys could help him escape?[/spoiler]