Gardening

I’ve been testing it on on my passionfruit vines and it certainly hasn’t done any harm. This time of year they grow quickly so hard to tell if the leachate is helping. I’ve been mixing it 1:10 with water. They reckon you should aerate it but that seems like a lot of effort!

I figure it’s all about what you are feeding them. Too much coffee grinds, for example, wouldn’t be good. The trick is finding that balance.

1 Like

I was a bit cheap this year and started with smaller seedlings, broccoli thriving, but tomatoes still look pretty small.

Thinking i may get a hot house next year though, as our backyard is pretty big and theres too much grass to mow.

1 Like

Shahid I have a bonsai garden worth a fair bit of money and other plants in my garden too. I use it on all and i have seen enormous benefits in the condition of soils. I would add though that I use it in conjunction with regular but small amounts of dynamic lifter and blood and bone. These don’t go directly on the bonsai pots but instead inside empty tea bags to control the quantity but also to ensure the soil mix remains course and unaltered.

It’s really important that you only use the leachate when it does not smell. If it smells, you need to ensure your worms have enough airflow as it indicates it is fermenting.

All the best

1 Like

Has anyone had any experience sending plants or seeds overseas?

I’ve got a plant collector mate in the USA who’s keen to get hold of some lesser-known or lesser-propagated australian plants. I can find or source seeds, but the import-export regulations are quite the maze, and all the documentation is aimed at big, industrial-scale exporters.

Anyone know what the process is like, for small consignments of plant matter etc?

Corpse lilies out this morning and the flies think it’s party time. Both over 6 foot and stink to high hell. Look good though.
One of those plants that uses flies to spread pollen.

4 Likes

You’ve grown those yourself?

8 Likes

Is it too late to prune Fruit Trees in Vic now?

Also,… too late to transplant Roses?? :thinking:

This was the worst side of the house a few years ago, blackberries, Ivy, onion weed, spent the last 2 years on and off keeping on top of it. Was happy to keep most of the original plants and to see them growing and thriving now is pretty good.

12 Likes

Is that a before and after pic? :stuck_out_tongue:
Sorry to burst your bubble but it looks the same to me lol.

Depends on the tree but some fruit trees are best pruned in summer. You lose some fruit but they don’t throw up water shoots… you can Google depending on tree.

Just after :grin:

1 Like

I guess that aroid would be a bit off putting for Kay and Don.

Exporting ? easier, as long as you don’t need a phyto sanitary certificate, which will cost $$. Importing into Australia really complex, run it through BICON first and make sure the sender cleans it and labels it with the botanical name.

Just don’t get tricked into exporting CITES listed plants and seeds like some rare Australian orchids.

The phytosanitary certificate is the sticking point unfortunately - you need one for the USA. I’ve done a lot of poking around and there doesn’t seem to be a clean method of getting a PSC for sending hobby- or gift-scale amounts of material overseas. The whole process seems very geared for bulk export.

There’s a (very) small number of vendors who’ll send packets of commercial seed overseas who have all the right PSCs etc, but the range is very small. I was hoping to find an alternative.

The main problems are that seeds vary a lot, that the seed needs to be clean, free of husk and membrane, and evidence of insect penetration and may need to be treated to get rid of any chance of carrying insects, but also fungi. Fungi is easy, they do not like H202.

One of my businesses is in horticulture and seed import is problematic for us so we work from cuttings and our own seed generation and collection.

May I ask what seed your are looking for?

It doesn’t need to be seed, i just thought it’d be easier than cuttings or seedlings.

Basically, a boatload of natives - wildflowers mostly. Hakea, hardenbergia, correa, banksia, and slightly more obscure things like brunonia, platylobium, hovea, kennedia, dianella, pultenea, daviesia, stackhousia, epacris, etc etc etc. A good mate of mine in the USA is big into wildflowers, indoor plants and exotics, and even Aust natives that are relatively routine over here are damn near unknown in the states.

I’ve got no set list, and if I can’t get some of them over there then it’s no big deal, I’d just like a pathway. The listed ones are just stuff that grows on my property so i can personally get hold of.

HM,
Export of cuttings and seedlings is much more restricted ( and difficult) than seed.
Cuttings are often held in quarantine and gassed not watered and mostly die.
With Australian natives the easiest way is with seed.
Notwithstanding that you have these growing, a seed supply company like Nindethana is good, there are lots of them, but you need to buy from a one stop shop.

However, many of the more desirable varieties or cultivars of natives are cutting grown or tissue cultured from just one plant that appeared once in the wild or in cultivation ( eg grevilleas ), so they are clones.
On the other hand a large number of Australian plants cannot be grown from cuttings. With seed you are subject to wild variation

Export/import of cuttings and plants is really only economic in large scale operations, or sometimes insane collectors will go through the pain an expense to import plant material.

To undersand what can happen, a couple of years ago, the Queensland Herbarium imported some plant type specimens, being collections made over 100 years ago in the wild. The French herbarium did all the paperwork. In spite of this, Biosecurity Australia created an international incident. They destroyed the specimens. Then they did it again with some New Zealand type specimens. The people there are just clerks and are on the bloody minded side of careful.

1 Like

Is there anything more satisfying than the perfect lawn cut?

8 Likes

bloody oath. I’m a lawn nut

I run a lawn reno business. vertimowing/Aerating topdressing etc. I’ll post a few pics over the next few days. here’s a couple of Aerating in Broome just recently

3 Likes