Gary ablett jnr

How long ago was that last contract signed?
What was the average ‘top-tier’ contract at the time?
What position was the team in at the time, given that players do consider premeirship windows as an offset to contract fees?

He signed when he was a decent but not great small forward in a decent but not great team. 5 years before he left, when did GC start, 2010? So 2005

At which time 200k was about right for a decent but not great small forward. But in 2007 after Dean Robinson and co had been there, and Gary turned into the fittest and best player in the league, was miles under.

1 Like

Well then - it seems that the contract was around the ‘fair’ mark then.
Do you have any inside info on what the Cats offered Gary to remain at the club, including non-apparent portions?

Nup, NFI. I know Pickering was being a ■■■■, and I know Costa was whinging about not being able to pay him outside the cap, so all normal there.

My point was Gary had been (through his own decisions) paid the most ridiculous unders in the game for 3 years, so I don’t think it’s ridiculous for him to get paid however he could.

Gary Ablett Jnr isn’t even Gary Ablett Jnr anymore.

It would be a weird decison, and one I’d think came from the board, not the coach.

Doesn’t matter what he’s doing on field. If J Watson had (for some reason) ■■■■■■ off, and wanted to come back, you make it happen, simple as that. Doesn’t matter what hell he’s actually doing or likely to do. He’s J Watson.

Cats problem is they’ve replaced their old stars with someone else’s old stars.

1 Like

Geelong stuffed themselves by trading 2 years of first round picks. They need to take a first round pick this year. GC will demand a top pick this year but will settle for a second if Geelong can find one too.

The major problem with this for me is that he only wants to go to Geelong. This is fair enough given the link. However, what is not fair is that Geelong may be able to get him for almost nothing and gold coast will be asked to pay half of his salary. This is where it is just wrong, if Geelong want him pay the price.

Gold Coast should get rid of him, but make Geelong pay for it. If they dont well he can retire.

At this point - age, form and injuries - he’s worth basically nothing. If GC are still paying him big bucks, that’s their stupid decision, theirs to live with.

But they still should not be forced to trade him and play his salary because Geelong are maxed salary cap wise.

1 Like

What GC accepts trade wise will be aligned with how much Cats can take on board salary wise.

If Cats say offer him 2yr deal @ $1.2mil - with $800k in first year and GC only have to cover $200k for 2018 then they might accept a 2nd rnd pick.

Where Cats get that cash from the issue. May have to sacrifice other players to get Gaz for 2yrs max probably. Motlop for example.

Who’s fault is it they’re paying a retiree that much?

One thing I’ve learnt is when it comes to GC having a problem in negotiation with another club, the problem is almost always GC. Enormous bunch of idiots from top down.

Mate i don’t care if a player is a mercenary, one of our better players right now (BJ) is a total mercenary, but hes a consummate professional and does his all.

IT was preaching about how he was doing some honourable thing @ GCS. thats what my post was in replay to.

1 Like

36 touches and two goals today.

Yep, absolutely worthless…

1 Like

That was a reasonably huge SHAFT YOUSE yesterday.

yfuknytkutikntuik

May of been handy in our midfield yesterday, always been a great wet weather player too. I remember a final against geelong before he was a true star his ball control in the wet was amazing.

It’s Cats or retire for Gaz imo.

Travelling okay at the moment. 45 touches, 27 contested, 9 tackles, 15 clearances (NM had 21 as a team) and a goal.

1 Like