Gary ablett jnr

SEN were floating the idea of him moving on this morning.

Essendon would be silly not to put an offer on the table to such a quality free agent.

He will go to Cats. Another article up about it now.

Just had a thought.

If he ends up at Lollingwood, ā€¦ heā€™d be the Pied Fyfer ā€¦

8 Likes

No one has said this. People have just said they have no interest in having him at EFC.

1 Like

I was so happy, I was thinking about Fyfe in red and black (starting to sound like a dirty novel).

But then I read your comment.

To add to this, Jnr is 32, he is a champ and Iā€™m sure he has several good seasons left in him but I just donā€™t like the idea of recruiting twilight aged players, weā€™ve done this a bit in the past; recruited players from other clubs instead of blooding and developing youth.

No. Thatā€™s not it.

The bond & camaraderie we have in THIS team, is totally unique, itā€™s something you couldnā€™t orchestrate if you wanted to. This is going to sound weird, but we really should, & or will look upon the SAGA as a blessing, ā€¦ the spirit & purpose of this team is something I doubt has ever been before in the History of this game.

We want, A) Nothing to fcuk with that,ā€¦ and B) To foster it and keep it for as long as is possible. We want no dollar chasers.

I donā€™t know if this is wishful thinking, but Iā€™d like it to be that we only take players that come TO US, and are willing to take a shave simply to be part of the spirit that is the rock solid base of the Essendon Football Club going forward.

(End 3 sheets passionate rant ā€¦)

8 Likes

Woah youā€™ve gone deep with this one :grinning:

1 Like

Such an overreaction from a story deprived media

Barracked for us as a kid.

WSPHU

1 Like

Is that right?? ā€¦ Hmmm ā€¦ :thinking:

Still NO.

I canā€™t imagine he would have barracked for any other team.

3 Likes

No. Just no. IMHO he divided the Gold Coast. Donā€™t want a player that holds prayer meetings and circles before the game. Of any denomination.

3 Likes

1 Like

Might start circulating these around the club :joy:

10 Likes

Why not? Somehow it is bad to have a prayer before a game? What harm would it do exactly? Why is it bad or are you lot just anti-Christian?

1 Like

Itā€™s fineā€¦for those in the little prayer group. But what that does, like it or not, sends the message to the non-believers and non-practisers at the club that there is a little click of nutjobs in your group. Then the latter, they see them as weirdos and lose all respect for them (oh and the main one is your captain at the time!).

Letā€™s take religion out of it for a minute as I know the believers find it hard to get past that.

Quite simplyā€¦Imagine youā€™re a football team about to run out on the big stage. Moments before you do, 4-5 of your team mates peal off on their own, sit down at a small table to throw a couple of dice playing dungeons and dragonsā€¦because they LOVE that f@rking game. How you reckon the rest of the team are going to react to that.

1 Like

Doesnā€™t Houli have his own prayer room / section in the change rooms? Not sure heā€™s dividing anybody there.

The fact that Gazza leads a prayer group is pretty irrelevant in my opinion, and I doubt it has affected the club one bit.

I still wouldnā€™t take him though. Heā€™s too old, his body is cooked and he appears to have lost the passion. Heā€™s just cashing cheques from here on in.

10 Likes

Yeah while weā€™re at it letā€™s all pillory Bachar Houli as being a ā€˜fruitcakeā€™ for being a devout Muslim who gets his prayer matt out 5 times a day, and who regularly speaks about his religion openly.
Seriously?!

Edit: Beat me to it Peos.

4 Likes

That maybe true, but Houli wasnā€™t the captain and he didnā€™t take a handful of muslim players to pray with away from the rest of the team.

I got no problem with prayer before the game. Every player has a pre-match thing they do, whether its sit in a corner and listen to music or handball against a wall. But it is an issue if that pre-match routine becomes an event. You want to pray, no problem with that, treat it like your personal pre-match routine, youā€™re not fricken madonna and her dancers gathering around before a concert.

1 Like