Gavin Wanganeen

If you get the chance watch last nights Open Mike interview with Gavin.

Great interview, great player, clearly stills loves the Bombers.

If you get the chance watch last nights Open Mike interview with Gavin.
Great interview, great player, clearly stills loves the Bombers.

Well worth a squiz.
I remember my sister telling me he'd left without telling the players. Told them he was staying then cleared his locker out. He confirmed that pretty well but i didn't realise he'd never told Sheeds either.
Interesting to hear no Essendon players sledged him first up in 1997.
Hard to judge him since he was a kid at the time and it must have been a massive wrench for him to leave.
Clear he still has a very soft spot for red and black.

Judas

1 Like

I still call him Judas, broke my heart.
But when I saw him and his son in the Essendon rooms at the Port match this year, I loved it!

1 Like

I think Tex will become a bomber.

1 Like

I still call him Judas, broke my heart.
But when I saw him and his son in the Essendon rooms at the Port match this year, I loved it!

I'm the same. I still love the guy, but he did steal a part of my childhood.

He was 23 when he left us. Twenty-■■■■■■■-three.
Looking back, he was almost the modern-day HBF. He was able to mix defence and attack perfectly, his foot skills were sublime and his tackling was as good as you’d see.
And his courage…It is almost as if when he was going for a mark he thought he was in a park playing kick to kick with no one else around him.
■■■■■■■■.

His final quarter in the 1993 premlin and that tackle he laid on David Brown late in the game…wow!

I still don’t know how a team that couldn’t afford to pay Justin blumfield could have fitted Wangerneen in the salary cap, but it’s nice to ponder how good we could have been had he stayed.

I still don't know how a team that couldn't afford to pay Justin blumfield could have fitted Wangerneen in the salary cap, but it's nice to ponder how good we could have been had he stayed.

What's this about Blumfield? Who couldn't pay him? Us?

I still don't know how a team that couldn't afford to pay Justin blumfield could have fitted Wangerneen in the salary cap, but it's nice to ponder how good we could have been had he stayed.

You know, the salary cap problems we had?
Imagine trying to fit Wanga in there as well.

You know, the salary cap problems we had?
Imagine trying to fit Wanga in there as well.
Oh yeah, when Peter Jackson mis-calculated the 10-year veteran list rule.

Watching the interview, Mike asks him who he baracks for when The Don's play Port.

Wanga's sitting there in a red & black shirt, & after the way & how much he had said about his time with us & the mates he was with all the guys, ..

He opens his arms wide in protest at the question, saying he can't answer that,

"You've got to keep some things inside", he says, .. as his hands come in to touch his guts, ... & his shirt.

1 Like

He's still red & black deep down. Such a good player for both clubs. Tex is definitely leaning towards us now rather than Port  ;)

You know, the salary cap problems we had?Imagine trying to fit Wanga in there as well.
Oh yeah, when Peter Jackson mis-calculated the 10-year veteran list rule.

How lucky are Melbourne to have him save them.
1 Like

Was my original favourite player.

I cried for days when he left.

When I met him I told him that and his response:

You reckon you cried mate

My fav player , haunts me seeing his name in an Essendon thread. All well and nice to say he still loves us , but until I see his kid here , and stay here , and be the player he was , he’s a little unforgiven still :slight_smile:

23 when he left ? Ouch … So much time away from us. Would love him back at the club as a back coach

One of the biggest impacts to our club was Wanganeen leaving......what a warrior and one of the saddest exodus's from the club to another team I believe in our history. A bit of man love I think.....!

Really surprised when he left given his wife Stephanie's family ties in Essendon.

My daughter cried when Wanganeen left.

What a great interview in Open Mike. Hope Tex comes our way! 

His final quarter in the 1993 premlin and that tackle he laid on David Brown late in the game.....wow!

the grab he took running back into oncoming sumich and some other west coast wastrel and splitting the pack.

if hed kicked that goal late in the 93 granny you would have seen the spoof from mars.

One of the biggest impacts to our club was Wanganeen leaving......what a warrior and one of the saddest exodus's from the club to another team I believe in our history. A bit of man love I think.....!

Really surprised when he left given his wife Stephanie's family ties in Essendon.

My daughter cried when Wanganeen left.

What a great interview in Open Mike. Hope Tex comes our way! 

i was hung over on a toilet on the gold coast when i spied a tiny skerrick somewhere under the water polo section in the local rag.

didnt need toilet paper.