General AFLW comments and articles

I care about it in that women deserve the opportunity to play at the highest possible level should they be talented enough to make it. Extremely unlikely to watch any of it, but then again, I watch few AFL games not involving Essendon so that is more a reflection of a lack of interest in the professional competition as a whole and not a disrespect of women’s sports.

No

No, indifferent

The standard will be crap for at least a decade until the wave of current 8-12 year olds get to draft age, and even then I’m not sure the current junior pathway is anywhere near comparable to the current men’s (more like back in the zoning days than TAC cup era)

Whilst I agree, what are the pathways for the women’s soccer comp? Isn’t there a women’s cricket comp as well? What is that pathway.

For memory the soccer and cricket comps started in the mid to late 90s and it’s taken to the last few years to get them semi decent. Not great but not terrible.

Give this comp around 15 years and it’ll be able to capture it’s own market.

I’m curious to how critical media types will be.

During that exhibition game last year it was as if the commentators were under instruction to not be negative or even discuss mistakes. Which … goes against equality but I don’t want to go down that rabbit hole. It’s just interesting.

If it's the Women's AFL , why are they calling it the AFLW instead of WAFL?

Ummm … WAFL is already taken?

ffs!

Maybe I should have posted this in the Dumb Questions Amnesty.

For those who only watch female sport when it involves tight clothes or lingerie, go **** yourselves into oblivion.

Apart from AFL/VFL Essendon games the only other sports I watch are rugby league & basketball so to get me to watch the new women’s AFL league is nigh on impossible. Irrespective of the clobber they wear I will not be part of the viewing audience.

Are you equally enraged by women or men who watch AFL for the same reason?

In my experience the difference is that most people who say things like that about women’s sport are sports watchers in general, and are saying women’s sport isn’t worth watching for the sport. People who say it about men’s sport aren’t watching sports at all except for eye candy. It’s a fairly important difference to say “I don’t like watching sport but I like hotness so sometimes I watch” compared to “I like men’s sport, but women’s sport is only worth watching for hotness”. One is a value judgment on the concept of professional sport as entertainment, the other is on whether women should be taken seriously.

I say this as someone who has no interest in AFL Women’s whatsoever, and I’m not going to pretend I do just to seem progressive.

Of course, it’s baffling to me that someone with access to the contents of the entire internet would pick sports for titillation, so maybe I just don’t get it.

This was not your intent but I think you have kind of highlighted the problem with women’s sports. As a general rule men watch sports to see it at the highest level. The women’s version is rarely the highest level so men look for other things in the women’s version.

Women just don’t watch much sport. If women watched more sport it would not matter what men thought because it would not rely on that market.

For those who only watch female sport when it involves tight clothes or lingerie, go **** yourselves into oblivion.

Apart from AFL/VFL Essendon games the only other sports I watch are rugby league & basketball so to get me to watch the new women’s AFL league is nigh on impossible. Irrespective of the clobber they wear I will not be part of the viewing audience.

In my experience the difference is that most people who say things like that about women’s sport are sports watchers in general, and are saying women’s sport isn’t worth watching for the sport. People who say it about men’s sport aren’t watching sports at all except for eye candy. It’s a fairly important difference to say “I don’t like watching sport but I like hotness so sometimes I watch” compared to “I like men’s sport, but women’s sport is only worth watching for hotness”. One is a value judgment on the concept of professional sport as entertainment, the other is on whether women should be taken seriously.

I say this as someone who has no interest in AFL Women’s whatsoever, and I’m not going to pretend I do just to seem progressive.

Of course, it’s baffling to me that someone with access to the contents of the entire internet would pick sports for titillation, so maybe I just don’t get it.

This was not your intent but I think you have kind of highlighted the problem with women’s sports. As a general rule men watch sports to see it at the highest level. The women’s version is rarely the highest level so men look for other things in the women’s version.

Women just don’t watch much sport. If women watched more sport it would not matter what men thought because it would not rely on that market.

You do realise our membership, and audience on match day, is 40%+ female?

Yeah sure, but are they women? Eh?

Would be interesting to know what % of that is women there with their partner/kids compared to going solo?
Personally my wife will go to the footy with me or my son but would never dream of going on her own, it just doesn’t interest her that much. I don’t know too many women that attend football on their own here but maybe things are different in Melbourne?

Each to their own!

Each to their own!

I think I missed the mark with that one.

My point was that there is nothing sinful or dirty about physical attraction. But I don’t think that women’s sporting uniforms should be deliberately provocative. If people like watching fit women (or men) run around a sporting field, I’ve got no problem with that.

Each to their own!

I think I missed the mark with that one.

My point was that there is nothing sinful or dirty about physical attraction. But I don’t think that women’s sporting uniforms should be deliberately provocative. If people like watching fit women (or men) run around a sporting field, I’ve got no problem with that.

Me either - I happen to be lazy when it comes to watching sport - I couldn’t be bothered in most cases.

What? No.

Would be interesting to know what % of that is women there with their partner/kids compared to going solo?
Personally my wife will go to the footy with me or my son but would never dream of going on her own, it just doesn’t interest her that much. I don’t know too many women that attend football on their own here but maybe things are different in Melbourne?

I don't know any women who go because there partner does. We all go because we love it.

If Essendon gets a team next year and Michaela Long streams down the wing and kicks a ripper goal this place will go berserk.

No I do not.

What? No.

what part do you disagree with?

Delete. Misread.

Delete. Misread.

Regarding standards The bulldogs vs demons game was good to watch… But then again the standard was only good because all the decent players were spread across 2 teams and not 8 or 18…

And regarding standards
Alicia Eva…
Tayla Harris…
Abby Holmes…
Are …

What? No.

The bolded bit.

“Guys only watch women’s versions of the men’s sports they like cos they’re hot” is a broad and erroneous generalisation.

What? No.

The bolded bit.

“Guys only watch women’s versions of the men’s sports they like cos they’re hot” is a broad and erroneous generalisation.

Maybe to imply all guys are like that is too broad, but I don’t think I’d be wrong too suggest a significant number think like that