General AFLW comments and articles

I actually don't know that it'll be financially sustainable in the long term.

It would be if there was some sex appeal to it. As bad and unpolitically correct people may think it is just tightening the shorts and tops would increase the viewers significantly. Otherwise i can’t see men taking much interest at all.

You’re an idiot.

Exactly.

The only time it’s acceptable to ogle footballers, is in the pre season training threads.

ParishGuns.jpg

Meet me in the Tayte Pears thread.

It would be if there was some sex appeal to it. As bad and unpolitically correct people may think it is just tightening the shorts and tops would increase the viewers significantly. Otherwise i can’t see men taking much interest at all.

You’re an idiot.

Bit harsh Riolio, bullying of the Bully is usually welcome but in this case he did place a bit of an explanatory caveat in there. He was answering the financially sustainable question and there’s probably some truth in it - sexualisation of just about anything pays pretty quickly. It’s a lowest denominator culture we live in after all. Not to mention there’d be a fair percentage of females and males attending the men’s footy for short shorts and loaded guns. I’m just glad Greco Roman naked wrestling isn’t our most popular sport.

No interest what-so-ever!

Then again I had no interest in women in the UFC, but have changed my opinion on that.

lingerie football league > Womens AFL

Didn’t Sepp Blatter say the short shorts thing about Women’s Football (soccer)?

For those who only watch female sport when it involves tight clothes or lingerie, go **** yourselves into oblivion.

Apart from AFL/VFL Essendon games the only other sports I watch are rugby league & basketball so to get me to watch the new women’s AFL league is nigh on impossible. Irrespective of the clobber they wear I will not be part of the viewing audience.

You’re an idiot.

Exactly.

The only time it’s acceptable to ogle footballers, is in the pre season training threads.

ParishGuns.jpg

Meet me in the Tayte Pears thread.

Didn't Sepp Blatter say the short shorts thing about Women's Football (soccer)?

He also said “The future of football is feminine.”

Doesn’t make it true.

Still won’t make me tune in.

For those who only watch female sport when it involves tight clothes or lingerie, go **** yourselves into oblivion.

Apart from AFL/VFL Essendon games the only other sports I watch are rugby league & basketball so to get me to watch the new women’s AFL league is nigh on impossible. Irrespective of the clobber they wear I will not be part of the viewing audience.

Are you equally enraged by women or men who watch AFL for the same reason?

I'm in favour of supporting women's sport

Bubble bath rastlin’?

Are you equally enraged by women or men who watch AFL for the same reason?

In my experience the difference is that most people who say things like that about women’s sport are sports watchers in general, and are saying women’s sport isn’t worth watching for the sport. People who say it about men’s sport aren’t watching sports at all except for eye candy. It’s a fairly important difference to say “I don’t like watching sport but I like hotness so sometimes I watch” compared to “I like men’s sport, but women’s sport is only worth watching for hotness”. One is a value judgment on the concept of professional sport as entertainment, the other is on whether women should be taken seriously.

I say this as someone who has no interest in AFL Women’s whatsoever, and I’m not going to pretend I do just to seem progressive.

Of course, it’s baffling to me that someone with access to the contents of the entire internet would pick sports for titillation, so maybe I just don’t get it.

There’s a bit of “cheerleader effect” going on with women’s sports imo (actually, should extend that to sports in general)

I was listening to an interview with a guy who is involved in soccer and he was so enthusiastic about the womens comp they have - and how good the standard has become, with the Matilda's leading the way in providing great role models. He also said that soccer had the highest participation of any other sport in Aus. Possibly the reason the afl was anxious to get the women's comp up.

The Matildas got hammered by 7-0 by Newcastles U15 year old team in a training run.

That said, the comp is strong, but the facilities they’re given are a joke.

Soccer has great participation figures because it's so easy to put a game on and play socially. Same with basketball

Yup, all you need is something to kick around and you can play a pick up game.
Basketball is also great for kids because everyone is likely to touch the ball a lot and even score frequently

Jumpers as goal posts.

If you’re under 6ft, basketball is boring to play.

I was listening to an interview with a guy who is involved in soccer and he was so enthusiastic about the womens comp they have - and how good the standard has become, with the Matilda's leading the way in providing great role models. He also said that soccer had the highest participation of any other sport in Aus. Possibly the reason the afl was anxious to get the women's comp up.

2015 survey of ages 6-13

More detailed figures (also, how big is the participation drop off in teenagers!?)
http://www.roymorgan.com/~/media/files/morgan%20poll/2015/march/6123listcustom.png?la=en

Swimming and cycling aren’t sports, they are for rehab and training for actual sports.

Really surprising not to see ‘yachting’ on that list.

TALLY-HO MATEYS.

If it’s the Women’s AFL , why are they calling it the AFLW instead of WAFL?

If it's the Women's AFL , why are they calling it the AFLW instead of WAFL?

Ummm … WAFL is already taken?

ffs!

Can we now have our gender listed beside our usernames? I am having trouble keeping up with our posters and their sexual preferences based on their ogling and googling

• not being serious
Can we now have our gender listed beside our usernames? I am having trouble keeping up with our posters and their sexual preferences based on their ogling and googling
  • not being serious

How dare blitz impose a gender on me!

No

No, indifferent

The standard will be crap for at least a decade until the wave of current 8-12 year olds get to draft age, and even then I’m not sure the current junior pathway is anywhere near comparable to the current men’s (more like back in the zoning days than TAC cup era)

Whilst I agree, what are the pathways for the women’s soccer comp? Isn’t there a women’s cricket comp as well? What is that pathway.

For memory the soccer and cricket comps started in the mid to late 90s and it’s taken to the last few years to get them semi decent. Not great but not terrible.

Give this comp around 15 years and it’ll be able to capture it’s own market.