General World News

When you consider the extraordinary gains to be had from education of women in developing nations, anything that helps in this area should not be overlooked.

This leads to greater longevity for entire families. The women live longer, but oddly enough, the men gain even more longevity when women around them are better educated.

Educated women tend to have significantly fewer children, which leads to greater standard of living for the whole family, and local community. The resulting slowdown in population growth leads to less strain on limited worldly resources, which happens to also make it the single biggest impact in the fight against global warming.

So not only is it simply the right thing to do, morally speaking, but also has such an impact for good in so many ways. Long may it continue.

12 Likes

How many MCG’s is that?

3 Likes

I’ll be more worried when I see an Alligator the size of 69 asteroids…

12 Likes

As many have already memed… the US will do anything to avoid using the metric system.

12 Likes

I think in Australia, we should use local metrics.

I interpret this as ‘an asteroid about the size of 45 Australian crocodiles’

1 Like

If that’s the case, 138 Holden Grey motors is the correct measurement

3 Likes

69 is a number best avoided in French
What’s with the ‘About 69’?

1 Like

Cyclone Freddy has travelled across the Indian Ocean from Australia to wreak havoc in Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique and Zimbabwe.
UN is coordinating emergency relief teams helping out with the displaced in Malawi and Mozambique . Some deaths.

More information about said alligators required. Are they fully grown adults?
At what age are alligators considered to have matured enough to be considered adults?

When they say “See ya later” to their parents and leave home.

7 Likes

More like when their parents turf them out and say “bugger off”

2 Likes

Turkey’s earthquake affected areas now hit with floods

UNICEF has reported that 10 million children in Central Sahel are in dire need of humanitarian assistance, while 4 million are at risk in neighbouring countries because of hostilities and climate
Ukraine is not the only country where children are suffering ( at least they are getting fed)
Blinken has been on a charm offensive in Niger, handing out cash to a country in the US good books.

3 Likes

This is getting bigger than it has before, even for France.

Nowhere close to the stage of May 1968, a BOP crisis as well, which in any event lasted 7 weeks.

2 year rise for retirement age?

It’s much more complicated than that.
Under the revised French pension scheme, it will require something like 42 years of continuous employment to be eligible for the full pension on retirement. AFAIK there is no grandfathering for those in the current scheme, as compared to new in the workforce .
Raising the retirement age will also give less scope for employment on retirement. As in other countries, people in their sixties face an ageist barrier to re-employment. France was contemplating a scheme of incentives to encourage the hiring of older people

Well then I’d protest

2 Likes