General World News

US has re-designated Houthis as a terrorist organisation, with a 30 day moratorium ( linked to supplies of humanitarian aid in Yemen).

1 Like

Wonder what Iran will do?

There is a long history of border skirmishes between Iran and Pakistan which don’t seem to escalate . Al Jazeera has a timeline.
Turkey reportedly carried out some strikes against Kurd sites in Iraq. No reporting on Iraq response, compared to its statements about US activities there.
Syria seems fair game for everyone.

4 Likes

Timeline of US & allied strikes in Yemen:

Jan 11: Strike on 60 targets at 16 locations targeting Houthi anti-ship cruise missile, anti-ship ballistic missile, drone, radar, air defence & C&C facilities

Jan 13: Strike retargeting Houthi radar site struck in first attack wave

Jan 16: Strike targeting 4 Houthi anti-ship ballistic missiles ready for launch at maritime targets

Jan 17-18: Strike targeting 14 Houthi missiles ready for launch at maritime targets

Jan 18: Strike targeting 2 Houthi anti-ship missiles ready for launch at maritime targets

https://x.com/elintnews/status/1748059472906379304?s=46

1 Like

11 January appears to be the first land attack, but attacks on Houthis in the Red Sea were reported on 31 December.

1 Like

2 Likes

Good, he deserves to die.

i have no qualms having someone who has committed murder feel anxiety and pain during their own death.

I think theres cases where the anxiety and pain be mandatory.

If anyone believes otherwise, google zoologist Adam Britton, who is currently on remand in NT.

Word of warning, do not seek the exact details of what he did…I made that mistake.

1 Like

If anyone is going to be executed, it should be as quick, pain-free and humane as possible.

Not simply for the sake of the person being executed, but to prevent as much as possible the executioner and wider society from starting to get their jollies from inflicting pain.

9 Likes

Geez, I’d pay good money to see a scumbag or kiddy fiddler put to death. Give me front row tickets please

I know. That’s the problem.

As soon as punishment becomes entertainment, there becomes a market demand for more punishment. And so inevitably, the scope of crimes punishable with torture or death starts to expand.

I strongly recommend the ‘Painfotainment’ episode of Hardcore History on this, by the way.

7 Likes

I couldn’t finish that podcast episode. Was absolutely brutal.

Half time executions at the Grand Final?

Imagine of we had executions of players at HT of the 1993 Prelim? Would never have had a come back and then a 93 GF win.

Not the players, but those convicted of the most heinous crimes.

Would be the ultimate in reality television.

Roman Colosseum days revisited.

1 Like

Except by introducing nitrogen into the room to lower the oxygen content will just mean anyone in the room with just go to sleep quietly and quickly and feel no physical pain.

Just over 200 years ago there were over 200 crimes on the books in England that were hanging offences.