Global Warming Thread

"science". pfft.
Good science welcomes criticism. 
If people get upset because people are criticizing it, its not good science. 

Don't confuse the economic and political sides of this with "science".

Good science welcomes informed, well-researched criticism.  The sort of horseshit we actually get, about 'warming has stopped since 1998!' and 'yeah, but what about the SUN then, huh?' and 'carbon dioxide is plant food!', isn't remotely either of those things.

I entirely agree that the economically/politically optimal way of addressing the AGW issue is a matter for debate (and it's a debate that will never be solved, because we only get one shot at this and will never get to go back and give the other options a try), but arguing against the fact of AGW is like arguing against the fact of plate tectonics or quantum mechanics or evolution at this point.
Thats fair, except your creationist comment is out-RAGEOUS. You know that they are not the arguments I refer to. Most scientists who have jumped on the ACC train (rightly or wrongly) have invested WAY too much reputation to ever even look at opposing evidence, mostly due to the political and social pressure. And that is not science. I am not going down this path, we are not going to converge. 

Did you vote for Bandt by the way? 

http://www.news.com.au/national-news/greens-mp-adam-bandt-tries-to-make-political-mileage-out-of-fires/story-fncynjr2-1226741900565

About sums it up for me.
My creationist comment is entirely accurate.

Both climate change denialism and creationism(/"intelligent design" science) are phenomena that grew from ideologies and political lobbying efforts rather than observation.  I strongly recommend the book "Merchants of Doubt" which tracks the history of these, and related anti-science campaigns such as the kickback against CFC restrictions, the backlash against the banning of DDT, and the coverup of the evidence linking smoking to cancer. 

Both climate change denialism and creationism rely heavily on the high-rotation testimony of a handful of 'renegade' scientists (such as Behe for the creationists, and Carter, Lindzen etc for the climate change denialists) who provide a quasi-intellectual figleaf that allows adherents of these beliefs to pretend that significant scientific disagreement still exists on the fundamentals of evolution/climate change science.  By virtue of their prominence in political debate, the publications and research of these contrarian scientists are read and examined extremely thoroughly and have all been pretty comprehensively debunked by the wider scientific community, not that this seems to dampen the enthusiasm for them in creationist/denialist circles.

Both climate change denialism and creationism are very prone to cherry-picking data.  THe 'no warming since 1998' crowd are the absolutely typical example.  They also are very fond of pouncing on minor incorrect predictions, or aspects of the science that more recent research has disproven or which are not yet fully understood, and acting as if this routine act of scientific self-correction or uncertainty in a complex field invalidates the entire decades-long field of study and massive evidence body of the scientific fact that they oppose.

Neither climate change denialism nor creationism seem at all interested in developing a meaningful alternative theory to replace the one that they oppose.  Creationists don't do any actual research into the act of creation - when it happened, the mechanism involved, nor do they attempt to further investigate (if they're "intelligent design" types) the possibility of physical aliens being the 'designers' as they sometimes feebly claim is one possibility.  Similarly, climate change denialists never attempt to explain the loss of polar ice, the receding of glaciers, the steady increase of global temperatures over the past hundred years or so which has no relationship to solar intensity in that time, nor do they try to explain why the earth is NOT warming, given that the Arrhenius equations (which have been unchallenged science for over a century) predict that any body of air will retain heat more if the proportion of CO2 it contains is increased.  Ergo, neither climate change denialists nor creationists are interested in investigating scientific truth, they only care about attacking a science whose implications they don't like.

And I didn't vote for Bandt, though if I was in his electorate I would have.  You know what - what he said was politically clumsy and should have been focused on a global level rather than on a national level, but regardles of what you think of him (and personally attacking Bandt does not invalidate climate science either, might I point out, it's just another indicator of the intellectual poverty of the climate denialist argument), he was 100% dead-on right.  FFS, us Greenies have been warning everyone for decades that global warming would result in longer and more severe bushfire seasons.  And now there are bushfires in Sydney only halfway through October exactly as people like me have been talking about for years and trying to avoid, and at the same time Abbott is bragging about how his first act as PM to remove every meaningful emissions reduction policy the country has. 

It's real, it's happening.  Deal.
I will come back to the other points but that last paragraph is annoying. 

"It's just another indicator of the intellectual poverty of the climate denialist argument), he was 100% dead-on right"

The lack of a carbon tax led to these bushfires? Come on, you are better than that. 

There are bushfires because there was a lot of rain, rain = grass. Grass dries out when it warms up, something ignites - bushfire. Its ignorant and overly simplistic, and pure vote grubbing from ignorant sheep to claim that a lack of a CARBON TAX, for farks sake, has anything to do with these bushfires. Didn't Bob Brown, vaunted leader of "you greens" claim in 2006 that climate change would lead to prolonged drought? You cant have it both ways, I am sorry. Yes I know, rapid cycles blah blah, bushfires happen - they are a tragedy. 

Anyone who stands up for that dirty, bottom feeding vote grab loses all my respect. At least wait until the fires are out. 

I'm not sure how many times it has to be said before people actually listen and/or understand, but the impact of global warming on climate is not uniform. More heat in a system leads to more turbulence in the system, which leads to more extremes in the system. Which is exactly what we're seeing in NSW right now - high rainfall leading to fast grass growth, followed by unseasonably hot weather (it was frigging 37 degrees in early October ffs! How is this anything resembling normal?), which dries out the grass and creates bushfire conditions. And yes, droughts are extreme weather events so there WILL be more droughts and the WILL be more severe - its just that not all years are the same, and this year we're getting grassfire conditions instead. Lucky us, hey?

This is exactly the sort of thing that climate scientists have been predicting for decades. And yes, if a significant global carbon price had been instituted 20-odd years ago - and the science and its implications were very thoroughly accepted even then - then we might have succeeded in reducing the rate of increase of CO2 concentration sufficiently to reduce the severity of what we're experiencing now. We'll never know whether this is true or not, because humanity as a whole DIDN'T introduce a global carbon price or take any other meaningful measures, but the possibility is real.

And you drastically misquote Bandt anyway. He said that Abbotts policies would mean MORE bushfires for Australia and Sydney in future. He did not say that lack of a carbon price caused these fires. Perhaps read what he said before getting offended about it next time, maybe?

Why Tony Abbott's plan means more bushfires for Australia & more pics like this of Sydney:

proxy.jpg?t=HBiDAWh0dHA6Ly9pLmd1aW0uY28u

"Adam Bandt: While much of the rest of the world is moving forward with action on climate change, by repealing the carbon tax Abbott is taking Australia backwards"

I am not sure how I mistook that NOT to have anything to do with repealing the Carbon Tax?

The article itself obviously wasn't related, it unless he is the worlds faster typist. 

I never said the climate wasn't changing, or that increased heat does not = turbulence. I would suggest that in any cyclical system the turbulence is greatest before a polarity switch. I am pretty sure no-one really argues that an increase in CO2 won't cause a reduction in the amount of heat escaping earth. The impression I get when people like you discuss this is that you think it will have an effect orders of magnitude stronger than what natural cyclical changes will (As you say "the steady increase of global temperatures over the past hundred years or so which has no relationship to solar intensity in that time). As CO2 increases, Temperature Increases. A Leads to B. If that is the case, why are none of the forecasts even close to being correct if its such a easy to comprehend trend? We can measure industrial output of greenhouses and we can measure temps from satellites. 

So the answer there is: There is "uncertainty" in the model.  Yes, there is uncertainty in every model, but that uncertainty is due to factors outside of the experimental bounds - its not made up. Measuring your error is important.  But apparently, CO2 is the primary driver of the rapid increases in global temperatures, and natural effects are statistically insignificant. This is paradoxical - you cant have uncertainty, yet discount the obvious source of it. But the reason people do is because if they say its possible that natural causes for variation can throw their model out by 1,2,5 degrees then its obvious that there isn't an order of magnitude difference in the effect it has. This would suggest that the current warming could be related to natural cycles - if it can throw models out that have had billions spend on them and policies based on them out by such a large percentage. Unless all the data was collected incorrectly, I guess that is another source of uncertainty.

It was my understanding that you'd complained Bandt has said that lack of a carbon price had caused these bushfires. I was pointing out he didn't say that. I may have misunderstood you. But regardless, that's a side-issue.
I completely reject your unsupported statement that 'none of the forecasts are even close to being correct'.
for instance, here's the prediction of the IPCC #4 model vs the actual observed results.

ipcc_ar4_model_vs_obs.gif

Seems to me the model is doing an ok job. 

As for the natural uncertainties - yes, they exist.  Do you really think that the models don't account for them?  Cloud cover, methane feedback, solar cycles, land clearing, volcanic activity, aerosol/suphate emissions, etc etc etc.  And yes, they all have their own uncertainties.  That's why the IPCC reports burn so much efforty and sweat putting together a confidence level, the likelihood that the sustained temperature increase what we're seeing is due to carbon emissions.  Most recent IPCC report had this confidence level at over 95%. 

There are legitimate statistical tools for evaluating datasets or models with multiple sources of uncertainty.  This is a known problem in all sorts of disciplines. 

And I'd LOVE to see an actual source for your claim that natural variation can throw models out by 5 degrees.  That is just way the hell out of the ballpark, down across the road, and into a completely different suburb.

In the end, it comes down to some pretty basic logic.

1) we know that increasing the % of CO2 in air will increase the temperature of that air, and we know (in lab conditions) the amount by which it will

2) we know that we are steadily increasing the % of CO2 in the atmosphere

3) we know the atmosphere is warming, as predicted by 1 and 2.

We DON'T know what the exact result of this will be (in terms of weather patterns, affects on particular regions, exact timescales etc etc), as heat circulation through earth's atmosphere (and oceans) is an enormously complex system with multiple feedback loops, and piles of other input variables.  But we can see the general trend - increased average temperature, increased frequency and severity of extreme weather events, loss of ice coverage.  1) is established scientific fact.  We would predict the globe to warm if we did 2), and this is exactly what we are observing.  We have examined other possible causes of this anomalous warming (solar variation for instance) and they have been pretty much discarded as they don't fit the observed facts.

Basically, the burden of proof now lies with the climate change deniers.  Mainstream science has come up with an hypothesis that matches the observed situation and is consistent with long-established scientific fact.  Anyone rejecting this theory needs to come up with a superior theory -and that theory not only has to explain why the climate has changed over the last hundred years if it wasn't due to atmospheric CO2, but also why the increased atmospheric CO2 level HASN'T caused the climate to change, because we've known for over a hundred years the effect of increased CO2 levels on air temperature and if this hasn't happened, then something is deeply wrong with our understanding of atmospheric physics at a really basic, fundamental level. 

95% confidence level.  Increasing all the time.  Whatever counter-theory you're expecting people to come up with, it's gonna have to be GOOD.

I will be back!! I have done no work today. I promised myself I wouldn't get sucked in here again, but I have. 

But, just to warm up, as you said you would love it:

http://itia.ntua.gr/getfile/850/1/documents/2008EGUClimaticPred.pdf

and the poster. The whole article is available for free as well. 

http://itia.ntua.gr/getfile/850/4/documents/2008EGU_ClimatePredictionsPos_.pdf

The 5 degrees was sensationalised  -  but didn't an early IPCC report suggest 3-6 degrees of warming by now if we continued on the same path of CO2? 

Also, just to stir the pot:

"We've learned from experience that the truth will come out. Other experimenters will repeat your experiment and find out whether you were wrong or right. Nature's phenomena will agree or they'll disagree with your theory. And, although you may gain some temporary fame and excitement, you will not gain a good reputation as a scientist if you haven't tried to be very careful in this kind of work. And it's this type of integrity, this kind of care not to fool yourself, that is missing to a large extent in much of the research in Cargo Cult Science." Richard Feynman, 1974. 

haha I didn't wikipedia link the word integrity, for the record.  I am not that rude. 

QUOTE ARTICLES PROPERLY PLEASE PEOPLE

The thing I do not understand about the Adam brandt attack is that under current global warming initiates we still had this massive and terrible bushfire.  So doesn't that actually mean the existing frame work is not working?

The thing I do not understand about the Adam brandt attack is that under current global warming initiates we still had this massive and terrible bushfire.  So doesn't that actually mean the existing frame work is not working?

THe existing framework has been in place for about a year.  If it had been put in place 20-25 years ago, when it should have been, then the emissions reduction measures might have had time to have an effect, the development of clean tech might have been accelerated, the progression of global warming might have been slowed and the current fires *might* have been avoided (though this is completely unprovable).

But once again, I'll encourage you to read what Bandt actually said.  He didn't say "these fires are happening because Abbott's going to remove the carbon price", or even "these fires are happening because of global warming".  He said "fires like these will happen MORE OFTEN if serious measures aren't taken to prevent global warming".  And in that he is entirely right.

THe existing framework has been in place for about a year.  If it had been put in place 20-25 years ago, when it should have been, then the emissions reduction measures might have had time to have an effect, the development of clean tech might have been accelerated, the progression of global warming might have been slowed current fires *might* have been avoided (though this is completely unprovable).

But once again, I'll encourage you to read what Bandt actually said.  He didn't say "these fires are happening because Abbott's going to remove the carbon price", or even "these fires are happening because of global warming".  He said "fires like these will happen MORE OFTEN if serious measures aren't taken to prevent global warming".  And in that he is entirely right.

Thanks for the explanation, makes sense.
Just on what he actually said on twitter it is this:

Why Tony Abbott's plan means more bushfires for Australia & more pics like this of Sydney instagram.com/p/fjntyWkpGK/ theguardian.com/commentisfree/…

— Adam Bandt (@AdamBandt) October 17, 2013

Could Adam Bandt please quantify how many fewer bushfires and/or at what reduced severity Sydney would experience under the present carbon tax as compared to Abbott’s proposed plan. You know, just so we can make an informed decision. Otherwise it just sounds like more base political opportunism, global warming evangelism, and scare mongering - the very things that corrupt what should be a purely scientific endeavor and turn it into a discussion that shuts out free thought and real debate.

Adam Bandt doesn't need to do that, G. The CSIRO already did it
http://www.publish.csiro.au/paper/WF10070.htm
And the Royal Meteorological Society did it too
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/joc.3480/abstract

EDIT: Boot, or other mods, can we have a clarification on forum rules?  If I'm linking to a long (20-page plus, with lots of graphs, diagrams, tables etc) scientific article like the above, do I still have to copy out the full text as per forum rules regarding newspaper articles?  Can I just post the link only?  Or should I post the link and quote a representative sample?  I don't think the rules were written with this sort of thing in mind...

EDIT: Boot, or other mods, can we have a clarification on forum rules?  If I'm linking to a long (20-page plus, with lots of graphs, diagrams, tables etc) scientific article like the above, do I still have to copy out the full text as per forum rules regarding newspaper articles?  Can I just post the link only?  Or should I post the link and quote a representative sample?  I don't think the rules were written with this sort of thing in mind...

A good point you raise there HM. Maybe cut and paste the first page and let people go on from there if they wish?

Did they comment on the pros and cons of each party's approach to climate change or or predict the outcome of unchecked global warming?

I can't believe you are standing up for those comments, HM. They haven't been taken out of context at all, and by siding with him you lower yourself to his level. 

Timeline: 

3.52 on the 16th: Adam posts an article titled "do you want to spend Xmas worrying about heat Deaths?. My piece of why Tony Abbott is failing the Ronald Reagan test"

11.01pm the same day: Houses are burning, NSW is on fire. Adam, in all his honour, sees a chance to increase the exposure to his article!.

Thats all it was. Pure and utter, dirty vote grubbing. Its disgusting. The greens are a total shambles. 

The Greens have been saying for decades that people will die because of worsened natural disasters because of global warming.  Nobody's been listening, and even now what half-arsed CO2 reduction legislation the country has is only due to Bob Brown holding a gun to Julia Gillard's political career back in 2010.  Well, here we are in MID FRIGGING OCTOBER with bushfires and 37 degree heat, and Bandt is saying 'yep, get used to much worse than this if you don't get serious about global warming'. 

Nobody ■■■■■■ listened, natural disasters were a long way off weren't they, nothing to see here.  And hur hur it's a bit chilly today, global warming's all a bit of a laugh innit, those silly hippie Greenies hur hur.  If we can't talk about global warming when there's climatic disasters happening, and nobody listens about global warminhg when they're not, then what the ■■■■ IS the right time to talk about it?  Never mind that Abbott only released his plan to kill the carbon price what, two days ago - now is EXACTLY the time we should be talking about climate policy.

Oh, and by the way:

The Port Arthur massacre was used politically to strengthen gun laws.

The death of Jill Meagher was used politically to attack the parole system

The deaths of those patients treated by Dr Jayant Patel were used politically to attack the Qld govenment's management of the state health system

Drowned asylum seekers have been used politically, agains and again, by everyone to justify every bit of immigration policy and attack everyone else's for a decade now.

And don't get me started on what the deaths in the Bali bombings and on September 11 were leveraged to justify.

Your sense of righteous outrage is very selective.

The Greens have been saying for decades that people will die because of worsened natural disasters because of global warming.  Nobody's been listening, and even now what half-arsed CO2 reduction legislation the country has is only due to Bob Brown holding a gun to Julia Gillard's political career back in 2010.  Well, here we are in MID FRIGGING OCTOBER with bushfires and 37 degree heat, and Bandt is saying 'yep, get used to much worse than this if you don't get serious about global warming'. 

Nobody ■■■■■■ listened, natural disasters were a long way off weren't they, nothing to see here.  And hur hur it's a bit chilly today, global warming's all a bit of a laugh innit, those silly hippie Greenies hur hur.  If we can't talk about global warming when there's climatic disasters happening, and nobody listens about global warminhg when they're not, then what the fark IS the right time to talk about it?  Never mind that Abbott only released his plan to kill the carbon price what, two days ago - now is EXACTLY the time we should be talking about climate policy.

Oh, and by the way:

The Port Arthur massacre was used politically to strengthen gun laws.

The death of Jill Meagher was used politically to attack the parole system

The deaths of those patients treated by Dr Jayant Patel were used politically to attack the Qld govenment's management of the state health system

Drowned asylum seekers have been used politically, agains and again, by everyone to justify every bit of immigration policy and attack everyone else's for a decade now.

And don't get me started on what the deaths in the Bali bombings and on September 11 were leveraged to justify.

Your sense of righteous outrage is very selective.

It isn't selective at all. I have two points:

Wait until the fires are out. I don't remember Little Johnny calling for Gun Reform whilst Martin was holed up with the Police outside. Have some class. 

The carbon tax wouldn't have stopped these fires. Chances are, they were deliberately lit? Also, isn't August-September-October traditionally the DRIEST months in NSW? so three months of dry weather, following three years of sustained growth due to the weather Bob swore wasn't coming? Scaremongering and sensationalist politics then, and nothing has changed. 

The reason no-one listens to the Greens because they are a shambles, with no give and take. They have lost any sort of trust that people had in them. 

Maybe Aug-Sept-Oct are historically drier than usual in NSW. I honestly don’t know. But even if so, the fact remains that with AGW causing greater temperature extremes, all this means is that we’re more likely to have an extreme heat event immediately following on from this dry period, with resulting skyrocketing fire risk. Exactly what we’re seeing now. High 30s. Middle of October. FFS it isn’t even SUMMER yet.

The reason no-one listens to the Greens because they are a shambles, with no give and take. They have lost any sort of trust that people had in them.

This is plainly and simply wrong. The Greens do give and take better than any other party, simply because they HAVE to. They’ve never had a majority in either house of parliament in any state or federally. They’ve never had the luxury of pushing through their legislative agenda as a majority party. They’ve sometimes had the balance of power, but the usefulness of that is compromised by the fact that if they demand too much the Lib/Lab parties will simply ignore them and push through whatever compromise legislation they hammer out between themselves. Instead, they’ve had to ruthlessly prioritise every single one of their policy initiatives, wheel and deal, accept minor victories and play a weak hand as best they can.
Every single parliamentary achievement the Greens have had, they’ve had to compromise and bargain for, from the carbon price (Greens wanted fewer exemptions, a fixed price rather than a market rate, no tie to the EU market, no free permits for polluters, more spent on renewable energy research, etc etc etc) to Denticare. Pretending otherwise is just false and dishonest. It suits the major parties to paint the Greens as wild-eyed uncompromising fanatics - the ALP wants to stop their base headig to the Greens after seeing Rudd/Gillard abandon almost every ALP principle that ever existed, the Libs love pretending the Greens are loons because it suits the big miners etc who fund them. Doesn’t make it true.
And this is the global warming thread, not the politics thread, so this is the last politically-related post I’ll be making here.

Okay, no politics. The Tasmanian came out in me then. 

rainfall-2.gif

(link for boot: http://www.tocal.nsw.edu.au/farms/Tocals-e-farm/the-climate-of-tocal/rainfall,-evaporation-and-effective-rainfall)

I would argue all you need for fire is Fuel (Grass plus prolonged dry weather), Oxygen and an Ignition (fire bug). 

Anyway, I think that topic is done to death. What did you think of that poster showing that regionalisation is a major flaw in the IPCC predictions?

I would argue all you need for fire is Fuel (Grass plus prolonged dry weather), Oxygen and an Ignition (fire bug). 

Anyway, I think that topic is done to death. What did you think of that poster showing that regionalisation is a major flaw in the IPCC predictions?

Crap, wrote a huge reply and then firefox crashed and I lost it all.  Starting again...

While the physicist in me agrees that fuel/oxygen/ignition is all that is needed to start a fire, the part of me that does his CFA training every year knows that the severity, intensity and general dangerousness of a bushfire is heavily dependent on temperature and wind speed (and other factors such as topography, vegetation etc).  Hot weather desiccates fuel, which makes ignition more likely from stray sparks and allows small fires to grow very quickly into large ones.  High winds fan flames onto new fuel quickly, making for a more intense fire, and also result in significant problems with airborne embers, which scatter all over the place and can result in fires breaking out everywhere, even in areas assumed safe or miles from the present firefront.  Combine the two and you've got a real nightmare.  High winds scattering flaming embers for miles, tinder-dry bush ready to ignite at the smallest spark, high winds ready to kick up these spotfires into full-blown blazes horrifyingly fast.  There's a reason all the worst bushfires happen on extreme days - Ash Wed and Black Saturday for instance were hideously hot with howling winds.  More frequent extreme conditions lead to more frequent extreme fires.

As for the paper you link to, I'm familiar with the argument.  Basically, it misunderstands what climate models do, what they are used for, and what we are expecting to learn from them, and in the process triumphantly proves what everyone knew all along.

Fundamentally, a climate model is a simulation of thermal, chemical, and physical processes in the atmosphere and ocean (and land, pack-ice, vegetation, etc etc to some degree).  They work by dividing the entire atmosphere/ocean/etc into a grid of thousands of blocks, each of which is assumed to have uniform physical properties throughout its volume, and which interacts with neighbouring blocks.  These blocks are initialised with physically reasonable values, and then the simulation is kicked off, advancing in time (with steps of 20-30 minutes in most climate models), as the program logic simulates the interaction between blocks. 

So we've already got two source of simplification here.  Instead of simulating every molecule in the atmosphere/ocean individually (obviously impossible), we're dealing with blocks that may be tens or hundreds of cubic km in size.  And instead of treating time as a continuum, we're advancing it in steps about 20 minutes apart.  And of course there are loads of other hidden simplifications as well due to unavoidable factors - to choose just one topical example, a large bushfire pours an immense amount of heat into the atmosphere when it burns, which has significant effect on the thermal behaviour of its block and thus the blocks around it.  But of course we have no knowledge of when a bushfire is going to happen, so we can't simulate its effect.  Furthermore, the atmosphere is a prime example of a chaotic (in the mathematical sense of the word) system.  Its sensitivity to initial conditions is extreme.  This is why we can only forecast weather (as distinct from climate) a few days in advance - because our sampling by necessity has a lower resolution than reality, our simulation of initial conditions is imperfect and our weather model diverges further from reality the further ahead we attempt to predict.  And weather forecasting is able to use both smaller timescales and block sizes than climate forecasting, as its only generally interested in a relatively small geographical area and so can afford the extra computational hit.

So, when climate scientists run simulations using their models, they run them many, many times with slightly differing initial conditions, then again with slightly different levels of CO2 forcing, etc etc etc.  As you'd expect from a chaotic system, the slightly different initial conditions mean the simulations go out of synch with each other very quickly - the physical conditions of block 83695 at timestep 23453 of simulation A will be very different to the physical conditions of block 83695 at timestep 23453 of simulation B.  This is expected.  What the modellers are looking for is commonalities.  They're attempting to 'filter out' as much of the chaotic effects of the system as possible by running the simulations over and over again so that random noise cancels itself out over the course of many runs and the underlying trends become visible.  The 'modelled' results you see in an IPCC report are actually averages, not just of many different runs of the same model, but many different runs of different models, since it's a known fact that some climate models simulate, for instance, sea ice better than others.  There isn't just one uber-IPCC-approved model To Rule Them All - different research institutes still use their own models and codebases. 

Anyway, what this paper has done has taken a couple of runs of (I think) one model, and looked at individual blocks within that model, and compared the conditions of that block with the actual physical conditions of the bit of atmosphere/ocean represented by that block at the days/times modelled.  And no surprise, they don't match.  Well, duh, of course they don't.  They're not expected to.  That's not the point.  A single model run doesn't represent 'how we predict it will happen', it represents 'one possible way in which it could happen'.  Which is why we do piles of different model runs and look for commonalities between them, not just run one model once and call it a day.

And it's the averaged models that the IPCC etc use which are consistently predicting long-term climate patterns accurately, as shown below:

1_Projections_cfMainstreamSkeptics.gif

From http://skepticalscience.com/comparing-global-temperature-predictions.html

To use an (imperfect) football analogy. 

Fan A: who do you think will win today, the Cats or the Demons?

Fan B: Cats easy, they're just too strong in the midfield

[game is played, Cats win by 10 goals, have 150 more touches and double the inside 50s]

Fan A: Hey, I turned on the TV for 4 seconds in the second quarter, and another four seconds in the final quarter, and both times Melbourne midfielders had the ball!  Your prediction was useless!

Fan B: Ummm...

Did you really write that twice? Shiiiit. 

I guess it depends where you get your graph from. Skeptical Science may have a different view to other places. 

global%20warming%20ar5%20model%20b.jpg

(Foxnews - could be bias too - http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/01/28/un-climate-report-models-overestimated-global-warming/)

It seems that from most of what I read, is that the IPCC has underestimated temperature increases over the last twenty years?

As you say, building a model is an iterative process. You start with a base model, you run the model (in this case 4D which is different to my every day work, although common petroleum), and then you take the bits you like (or to word it better, are scientifically reasonable), and you iteratively improve it. The more constraints you add into the model, the less flexibility you give it to move and so on, and so on. You also need to choose a resolution (normally computational, but also what sort of wave length changes you are trying to see). In the case of climate models you go back say 30 years, put the data in for that year and then try and match it the actual recorded data. 

The point I am trying to make (badly, because its a friday afternoon and 5pm here), is that models are human driven. You decide what you want to get out of it. Its just the nature of the beast. The algorithms which are used to model in 4D are non-unique. Any number of combinations of parameters can result in the same end result. So human input is required to guide the model in the "right" direction. If you have already decided that up is the right direction for temperature, the model can go up. Even if you are totally unbias and you let the model do what it wants, you cannot completely rely on the results. Also, say for example in one model you predict an ocean warming of 0.5 degrees, and you also predict an increase in solar activity by 10%. When you have so many other parameters as well, it can be quite difficult to delineate which variable is causing warming. Especially when you don't understand the variables. When I say "dont understand the variables" I mean, can you predict what sun activity will do in the next 30 years with a high degree of confidence? I doubt it. There when you take a trend, as you say, you are averaging errors. Smoothing noise. The noise could be the actual important information. 

If you do not understand the constraints, or the inputs for your model - you can't model them with confidence. The model may give you some insight on how they work in some instances, but if you don't understand how deep ocean currents changing effects surface temperature - you can't confidently model it. Number 1 rule of modelling: **** in, **** out. If you don't have confidence in your input parameters, and you don't really understand the physical processes you are attempting to model - you will not get an accurate or even reasonable result. You might, but how can you confidently say that? because it fits what you want it to say. I would also argue that you can't measure error bounds as accurately as is suggested. 

With respect to the regionality problem mentioned by that article, I understand what you mean about averaging and how individual cell predictions will not match actual measured data. The problem with that is that how can you predict, for example, increased temperature in NSW, when you can't actually model it? An example would be that after doing a gravity inversion over Australia, it gives me a broad scale view of what sort of density distributions I am looking at it. I can say that the Yilgarn deposit is denser than the east coast of Tasmania, on average. I can't turn around and say that under Humble Minions house there is a 5g/cc ore deposit, no matter what the inversion says. The sampling of my input is not suitable. The same applies for that graph you show. Where is that recording temperature, is it averaging globally - I imagine so? I could plot the temps of the last 30 years on a graph and draw a straight line over it and be as accurate as that.

All I am trying to get across, and I know I am waffling garbage, is that believing in these models as gospel is fraught with danger. And policy is being based on them. But the tide is turning! beer time.

Nice summary, hopefully not known to be politically bias, but who knows (http://www.thenewamerican.com/tech/environment/item/14371-leaked-ipcc-climate-report-shows-un-overestimated-global-warming).