Golf and related musings

Great setup for the final day tomorrow. Incredible comeback from 5 down for the tie. Shame we only got the tie in the other, but a big difference for our confidence getting that extra point, than losing all 4 afternoon matches.

Can’t wait for the final day.

2 Likes

Should be a ripping day. I’ll be there.

I’m going to lay into Reed AAAAALLLLLLLL DAY!!

2 Likes

It’s been great to watch on TV. It really is a great event.

1 Like

Can’t blame Louis and Hideki, they played well over the tournament, but geez if they hold those 4 & 3 up leads - it would have been a different result.

Choked big time!!

It was so flat at the end of the day. Everyone walking around with their heads down.

1 Like

I went on Saturday and was pretty bummed that Tiger ended up sitting BOTH sessions. The real irony in all of it was that I thought that would probably be the best day to see him because of the very fact there were two sessions.

I still had a really good time though. As someone who’s really interested in the course design and architecture side of things, being able to see Royal Melb up close was worth the price of admission and it was especially satisfying to watch all the match play strategy that was happening.

This golf course needs to be hosting some kind of event every year; it’s too good to be ignored.

3 Likes

A green keeper who is actually a greenie? Are you kidding? Golf courses of the future? I’d love to play it, for one. As a golfing tragic from way back I’m glad to see someone in the field has an environmental conscience (note the term includes the word science).

2 Likes

Absolutely. The place is unbelievable. The number of places where you can be standing, wedge in hand, and have no idea how you could possibly get the ball within 25 yards of the hole is amazing. You can feel like you’ve just played the best 9 holes you’ve ever played in your life and be 20 shots worse than your handicap.

And still love everything about it.

1 Like

In the afternoon matches I watched every group play the 17th hole (which I believe is #1 West) and every single group that missed short made bogey. There was almost nothing immediately obvious in terms of danger - no bunkers or rough, just some short grass and a couple of subtle slopes. But with the pin front left, short siding yourself was absolute death. Player after player who ended up in that spot couldn’t get anywhere near the hole. It was really something to watch.

1 Like

But the greens are so true that if you hit it on line, you can know it is in 10 feet out!

Thr PGA tour generally plays pretty rubbish courses. Its great to see them on a course where they have to think.

1 Like

I got to play Yarra Yarra a couple weeks ago. I really enjoyed it - probably the best course I’ve played in Australia. Most of the renovations are done; I’m told there are still 1-2 more holes to do on the front nine. Really great set of par threes.

I think the enjoyable thing about it was that I could walk 18 and carry, which I haven’t done for a long time. I played with a couple blokes about 15-20 years older who were 30 yards behind me in the fairway on every hole but still managed to beat the brakes off me with superior putting, short game and local knowledge. I actually enjoyed watching them do it.

Before I moved back, I played almost all my golf for the last 10 years with my dad, who turns 70 this year, and his game has really started to deteriorate. Obviously it is disheartening for him, but also for me as he seems to be having less fun when we play and I start to wonder how much longer I can play at a high level. So these guys I played with actually improved my outlook quite a bit.

2 Likes

That’s not something that I’d know anything about!

1 Like

My father in law, a good mate & I played the Wednesday comp at Bowral GC with the pro in our group just before Xmas
It was a real learning experience and a lot of fun to watch his club selection and how he shaped his shots
No matter where he was on the green he always managed to put it within tap in distance of the pin, although the 6 or so putts that didn’t drop were followed by a muffled Irish f*#k !!
I’d never seen anyone who could hit a one iron as cleanly as he did
They say stableford is the great leveller - the pro finished on 31pts / FIL & me 30pts (off 18 & 17 HCP respectively)

1 Like

Forget the tennis, it’s 2 out of 2 on the main stages of golf.
My fav Oz golfer came from behind to pinch the 2020 Farmers Insurance Open, a 7 mill US PGA event, passing the likes of world number 2 Mcilroy in the process. Didn’t hit many fairways but putted the lights out in shooting a final round of 7 under. Especially impressive considering he’s had back issues of late, he has 4 bulging disks in his back which is hardly ideal considering.

Meanwhile in Dubai Bendigo lad Lucas Herbert, who hits it out of fooking sight, came charging home in memorable fashion. Watch his response after dumping his second in the drink in the first of the playoff holes and appearing to have lost his chance at a maiden win, 4.05 “■■■, that may be my worst shot I’ve ever had in my life” I think. And then he plays the best shot of his life.

5 Likes

Thanks for the highlights. I missed Herbert, great to see

1 Like

Yes great highlights and speech afterwards. Thanks for posting Vander.

Vic Open…great event. This commentator Quintin is so ■■■■■■■ annoying though

I’m a crap hacker and regular 3 and 4 putter so I consider myself an authority on the pin in or out debate. Was on the final green in 4 at Cerberus yesterday, a par 5 from the back tee from where I hooked it into the middle of the practice fairway because I believe in getting my money’s worth. About 10 metres away and they say never up means never in, so naturally I gave it 20 metres worth of putt. Watched in horror as it hurtled towards the hole imagining it careering past and into the beckoning bunker. It smashed into the flagstick like a snowball hitting a brick wall and sucked into the hole. No flag stick and I’m raking sand. Arsiest par of all time. That’s the 3rd or 4th time it’s happened and I can’t honestly remember missing one because the flag was in, and I miss plenty so I have a decent sample size. The debate for me is officially over.
May be a different tale for touch putters but I really can’t see why anyone would take it out for downhill puts at least. Not sure why but I also seem to see the line more clearly if the stick is in.

3 Likes

Are any channels showing televised golf? I don’t have cable except for a basic Fetch package + a Roku with Netflix on it.

I was looking at Kayo especially with footy season coming.

kayo has golf a lot.