Golf and related musings

preface this by saying that of course it would be mental to expect a saturday in summer to not be flat out busy

but i propose a new rule: if all of your group miss the fairway for, let’s say, four holes in a row, you must leave

in other news, i played fkng awful today. and guess what i’m blaming.

4 Likes

I used to play regularly with a social club here in Perth. Tee off was 6am (or first light after 6 when the days got shorter) on Saturday.

The Pro would regularly send groups off the back 9 if they were only playing 9 holes.

One of our regulars (who played off between 15-20) hated the fact that the pro would send “the public” off in front of us as we were coming off the 9th green.

It didn’t matter how well he was playing, if he was in the 1st group and then had to play behind “the public” his game would fall to pieces.

We all kept telling him that we were also “the public” as it was a public course…but he just couldn’t come to grips with that concept.

You never wanted to be his partner if you were in the first group with him. :rofl:

2 Likes

What did everyone think of the Netflix full swing?

2 Likes

Now I “was” the last person in the world to own to a mobile, a source of egregious embarrassment to my daughter who donated to me one off her cast offs in the hope I would use it to link in to nursing home social media. I took it and downloaded Golf Pad, a supposed free golf app which has a GPS option I assumed was a con or costing big bucks. Took it for a walk round my local today to prove it wrong and got stooged. Didn’t have to jam it in the eye socket like the wankers who take ten minutes to line up a shot, it just told me how far out I was with one glance. Problem is I’m a Luddite. Feel dirty having used it, but gee it was nice to have caddy like yardages to the middle, back and front of the green, and it was pretty close to “centimetre perfect”. Problem is, how do I tell my daughter she was right all along?

7 Likes

fk this made me laugh

grr the obvious answer is to never bring it up in her presence

I’ve started playing 330/4 on saturdays. Crowd well and truly thinned out and I picked up 5 decent balls today (3 pro v1s, 1 chrome soft, 1 erc triple track).

In saying that, I only found them because I scrounging around the rough off the tee. Iron play was okay tho.

2 Likes

Watching ep 1 now. Loving it.

The behind the scenes of JT at the PGA throwing it away in the third round before turning it on on the final round and the playoff. Brilliant drama.

1 Like

Brilliant show. I love seeing the lead up to wins. It is so much better seeing some context to these players performances.

1 Like

After being quite reasonable for a “Hacker” I have had and still have many back related issues that caused my swing to be horrible and extremely inconsistent to the point of barely enjoying the game most times I played. I owe you a huge thanks for mentioning your (and now to a degree, my) guru.

I also have not done the course, but based on the youtube vids and basics of his method, after playing around 4 - 5 rounds I am striking my irons far more consistently than I have for around 3 - 4 years (possibly ever). I also feel the swing is a little easier on my body (although a lot of that still has to do with trying to hit it too hard).

I would strongly recommend anyone who struggles with consistent ball striking to give this a go - warning, it feels weird as all hell to start (same as any big change to your swing) but my irons have never been so clean, or high. When I first started I did lose maybe 10 - 15m distance, but after a few rounds I would say I am hitting it pretty close to the same distance I always have.

He may seem like a cult leader based on how he talks, but his extremely simple method makes an awful lot of sense.

No worries , I have found this a revelation. I actually signed on to the course as a monthly subscription. His swing makes so much sense. The way he wants to do this is to not play golf and re learn his swing. That’s not an option for me at this time as I play golf with a brother who has stage 4. But, I am getting this swing albeit it will probably take a lot longer to blend it with playing . I have played pretty good in January winning 3 comps , but not 100% happy with my consistency so I’m changing my swing to this as I reckon it makes so much sense and is more sustainable than mine. My scores have gone backwards while incorporating this new swing principal during feb, but I’m now getting it and the good shots are just unbelievable. Solid contact and a nice little draw

3 Likes

I also find that it’s relatively easy to get this swing working on the range but harder to do it consistent on the course. But range vs course are always misleading. On the course you don’t get the luxury of hitting 10 to balls to get it working. I’m still working on basic fundamentals of the swing but yestarday on the back 9, I felt like I had a breakthrough where the penny majorly dropped. So keen to get out again this week.
Even if I have clicked with this , it’s still going to take more time to adjust with shot and club selectionto a degree of o have susawd this out
All good fun

1 Like

That’s the problem I’ve found with any substantial change to my swing. Yeah it’s fine at the range where I’ve got ball after ball of hitting within seconds of one another. Out on the course where you’re worried about lie, club changes, pin placement, hazards etc, it’s hard to maintain consistent changes in swing. Especially when you’re not playing every day/week.

The guys makes a lot of sense tho, except I assume the downswing part of it isn’t aimed at a driving swing as you want to the ball on the very start of the upswing there to assist with loft on that club.

1 Like

Thanks for the updates @Tezza_the_King , hopefully the subscription still provides value. There is a guy on youtube (golf test dummy I think) who tried the course a few years back and documented the first few weeks of it - I remember him saying that you were supposed to only use the range for the time of the course, which I understand but would be near impossible for anyone who enjoys golf to do. Luckily / unluckily for me, I can’t really hit many balls at the range (for fear of my body breaking) - so I’ve only been implementing via my normal rounds.

Due to the weird nature of it in general, it will take a fair while for it to “click” and I seem to be learning a little more about how it works for me each round - just ball placement, swing path, where I need to aim it etc. I still tend to have a little push but most are going far straighter than I was hitting in the past.

@jack_mack50 - Re the driver, I basically use the same swing for the driver, with ball further forward of course and it seems to work just fine. I still generally get a little fade on the Driver which has always been my natural outcome - but it is far more controlled and I still need to work on ball positioning etc on the drive.

Also, for anyone out there that has an adjustable driver - don’t be scared to play with the settings…I always thought it wouldn’t do much for a hacker like me (also believing that the small weight changes etc wouldn’t really make much difference) - but it’s actually extremely surprising how much my shots can change by adjusting the driver. Hit it way better adjusting the lie angle, weight back… Some setups had terrible results, some very favorable even though I had no idea why!

Also also - has anyone purchased a 2023 driver / irons as of yet? Thinking it may be a good time to upgrade - will probably get fitted etc but would be interested to hear peoples opinions on the new stuff if you have already made the jump.

1 Like

I had mainly only adjusted my loft settings on windy/calm days but that’s because I’m too scared to move away from my draw bias setting, only because I’ve still got the occasional monster slice in me.

Golf clubs have pretty much hit the wall when it comes to improvement. The rules of golf don’t allow clubs to be any better than what they are. Forgiveness on a bad shot is all they can do and that doesn’t really change anything when you hit it good. When it comes to extra distance, that is purely based on shaft length and loft but in some cases you can get a dud or a hot club head. I’ve known of stories of fittings where a club head alone can +/-10 m.
Getting fitted to the right shaft is important and replacing wedges once there worn.

Range vs course tip in this one at the end but it’s more of how to practice and prevent reverting back to your old swing. That is to do the swing at a slow speed so you can feel the exaggerated changes. Don’t worry how far the ball goes, just get good connection and direction.
This lesson is also a great example of why people pull the ball and or pull slice the ball. These lessons can be considered advanced but at the same time bring analysis back to a 2D level

1 Like

https://thebaysidecharitygolfday.com/ If you want to play at Royal Melbourne without knowing a Member here is your chance. We used to come up to Melbourne on Friday morning and play at Commonwealth and RM on this day .The prices have gone up .

2 Likes

I might have to think about that. Not a good day of the week for me, though.

Good lord. Today was the first time I’ve done 36 holes over two days. Suffice to say I suffered from fatigue massively today. 85 at Warragul yday and 95 at Pakenham today. I even went the cart option today (walked yday) but fk I’m rooted.

Another level of admiration for pro golfers.

4 Likes