Good call by me / Bad call by me

Bad Call
Gleeson will never play a game- Unlock the Bock MkII.

Bad Call

• “Storm in a teacup”

Surprised noone has posted it yet but I was on the Dayle Express.

I also called Glen Hawker an out and out dud in his first season.

And I still reckon Leroy will contribute this year, so there!

One positive, I think my first ever post was a defence of Hooker.

I'd love to participate but I'm struggling with the bad call part...

Yeah, Hardingham had a decent 35mins. I'm still not conceeding that he is a best 22 player.

Come back here and I'll gnaw your legs off!

It's not all that often I go out on a limb and categorically shitcan a player, more frequently I'll say things are stacked against them and they need to do X Y & Z to find a niche. Only guy on the present list I can't really see a career for is Del.

Good call:

Too many to mention

- Getting guys who can zone well (well, more that I was agreeing with ant555, but I'll claim it...), rather than guys who are slightly better footballers but don't have a clue with the team defensive set-up (cough, Davey). Drafting to a plan, now.

- Kepler fwd/Scotty Lucas back (not conclusively proven right but sure as **** better than what we ended up with that year). *Sigh* Rasta Don, me & old model angry wim, those were the days....

- Hocking

- Hooker

- Myers

Bad call:

- Henry Slattery. And in my defence, he did better than most thought he would, and played a fair few games - just didn't have that extra gear I thought he might. Still love ya though Slatts.

- Hurley forward, again probably not conclusively proven wrong but, well... it's happening

- We really really really need another tall a) last draft and b ) this week

- Specifically @ Penos - I thought we should have kept *one of* Loners, Dyson or Brendon Lee. Probably wouldn't have made any difference to anything at all TBH, miss out on Stein or Gregory or Hams, keep one guy for a year who would've been cut anyway, eeeehhh.

- Knights. Up until ~2010 anyway I was with him. Had about half the gameplan IMHO and did very good things for the development of the group. If we'd gone with a different style of coach I thikn it would've taken longer for Hird/Thompson to teach their gameplan.

In general I like/respect hardworking players more than anything, particularly since over the ~05-10 period we had some guys who really didn't want to push themselves, and guys like Slatts/Hocking & even Myers were the ones who started to show a path out of that rut.

Then Hird/Thompson showed how to actually play good footy. We're well past needing those guys purely on work rate.

Ok, jokes aside:

Good calls:

Hooker, Howlett, Hocking, Myers, Melksham.

■■■■■■■ off Knights.

Del being rubbish and not needed.

Hurley can't mark/kick well enough to play key forward.

Pears never really impressing apart from two runs down the wing against a lazy Fev and being in the gun.

Houli is a decent player and we would have liked to keep him.

Crameri being no huge loss.

Us being a very promising young side.

Zaha needing a lot of work on his team-focused game.

Bad-ish calls:

Dyson playing more / getting another year.

Jetta deserving more chances (still think he might have a Stoke-ish late 20's part to play, though).

Steinberg (some time still, but looks to be on the way to getting delisted).

Being 50/50 on Carlisle after his first pre-season game (quickly changed that tune).

Lots of other minor things.

Good call

- Hurley back
- Jay Neagle won't make it
- Have faith in Hooker and Bags

Bad call

- Jetta will come good
- We will miss Crameri
- Gumby will get there

Taking ownership of the worst call of all time
(it was a few years ago though)

- keep Ridley, trade Hird

Who is this guy? Can we lynch him?

Good Call
- Hurley Back
- Drafting defenders, rather than mids who are thrown into defence (ala Pig, bags etc) 
- We won't bomb this year due to ASADA controversy 
- The Dell is no good at AFL level
Bad Call
- Hooker is too slow to play AFL football
- Myers, generally
- Leroy will come good 
- Courtney Johns: The Saviour 

Good Call

Hooker (and all our defenders really) to shine once the rest of the team get their **** together (not really going out on a limb there)

Licha to turn into a gun before his breakout season and to subsequently have ongoing injury battles

Buddha to become a rock-solid part of our midfield

Bad Call (including, possibly the worst call ever)

Courtney Johns to make it

Lonergan, Dyson, Slattery to become players. 

Our midfield wont be good enough to compete for the top 4 if Jobe is our best mid*

*I reckon this was about 08/09

2 of the best, and 2 of the worst. 

Good Call

1999. Mark Mercuri will win the Brownlow this year. (Runner up)

2000. We might not lose a game this year. (Fuck the Bulldogs.)

Bad Call

2005. Watson is fat, slow, and can't kick. Get rid of him. 

2007/08/09. We should trade Ryder while we can still get something for him.

Bad call = In his first few games thought Lloyd was ■■■■...also thought Houli was crap and yes never thought Dimma's disposal was up to scratch. Also thought Reimers was a star.

Good call = Zaka!  Also said fletch would play 400 and predicted Hirdy would be a matyr and burnt at the stake. Went to school with Matthew Knights and knew he didn't (doesn't) have the charisma to be the coach of Australia's number one sporting team.(and i dont mean geelong rezzies)

Lance Armstrong is not a drug cheat.

thin ice!

2 of the best, and 2 of the worst. 

Good Call

1999. Mark Mercuri will win the Brownlow this year. (Runner up)

2000. We might not lose a game this year. (fark the Bulldogs.)

Bad Call

2005. Watson is fat, slow, and can't kick. Get rid of him. 

2007/08/09. We should trade Ryder while we can still get something for him.

Um, couldn't you only classify that as a good call if he actually won the Brownlow, very close to being a good call, but actually a bad call?

I'd love to participate but I'm struggling with the bad call part...

Yeah, Hardingham had a decent 35mins. I'm still not conceeding that he is a best 22 player.

Come back here and I'll gnaw your legs off!

It's not all that often I go out on a limb and categorically shitcan a player, more frequently I'll say things are stacked against them and they need to do X Y & Z to find a niche. Only guy on the present list I can't really see a career for is Del.

Good call:

Too many to mention

- Getting guys who can zone well (well, more that I was agreeing with ant555, but I'll claim it...), rather than guys who are slightly better footballers but don't have a clue with the team defensive set-up (cough, Davey). Drafting to a plan, now.

- Kepler fwd/Scotty Lucas back (not conclusively proven right but sure as **** better than what we ended up with that year). *Sigh* Rasta Don, me & old model angry wim, those were the days....

- Hocking

- Hooker

- Myers

Bad call:

- Henry Slattery. And in my defence, he did better than most thought he would, and played a fair few games - just didn't have that extra gear I thought he might. Still love ya though Slatts.

- Hurley forward, again probably not conclusively proven wrong but, well... it's happening

- We really really really need another tall a) last draft and b ) this week

- Specifically @ Penos - I thought we should have kept *one of* Loners, Dyson or Brendon Lee. Probably wouldn't have made any difference to anything at all TBH, miss out on Stein or Gregory or Hams, keep one guy for a year who would've been cut anyway, eeeehhh.

- Knights. Up until ~2010 anyway I was with him. Had about half the gameplan IMHO and did very good things for the development of the group. If we'd gone with a different style of coach I thikn it would've taken longer for Hird/Thompson to teach their gameplan.

In general I like/respect hardworking players more than anything, particularly since over the ~05-10 period we had some guys who really didn't want to push themselves, and guys like Slatts/Hocking & even Myers were the ones who started to show a path out of that rut.

Then Hird/Thompson showed how to actually play good footy. We're well past needing those guys purely on work rate.

Ah, I couldn't remember if that was you. I was more of the opinion that cutting the guys who had been around a while and wern't going to make it would not only help our salary cap, but would allow us to try some kids (on kid's salary) who might actually step up. But yeah, it's probably neither a good nor bad call.

As for Henry Slattery.... I was going to make him one of my good calls, but I thought is was a gimme :P  

Good call:

Staunch defence during the nineties of some young hack Sheedy had picked up who had no right foot and 70% of Blitz wanted shot out of a cannon. Turns out Scott Lucas could play a bit after all.

Bad call:

I was extremely disappointed to see Judd Lalich, whom I had once compared to James Hird, cut from our list. For Christ's sake! The guy had an album. AN ALBUM!

hmm, a few 

Goods:

Hocking will turn out a very useful AFL player

We need to rookie Crameri ASAP (18 months before we did)

Carlisle is the best KP prospect on the list

Myers will come good as a clearance player.

Jackson Merrett will be important to our running stocks in a year or two.

Bads

Tyson Slattery to be an adequate AFL player.

Taite Silverlock looks an excellent prospect (in my defence he was going well before breaking his leg)

Luke Davis has a good footy brain which will "get him there" despite no obvious footy "weapons".

Bag's doesn't have the skill level to make a permanent elevation needed.

Jury:

Kav will be an excellent midfielder for us

Play Hurley back!

Crameri has made a mistake in leaving.

Jake C will be an excellent forward.

Good calls:

• Always backed in Myers, Melksham, Hooker and Hocking despite all the criticisms.
  • Wanted Jerrett in the round one team as I believed he had another gear.
  • Goddard forward. Have been pushing this ever since we got him (and even more so since Crameri left).
  • Never wanted Mark Williams; was one of my most hated opposition players and we got sold an absolute lemon. Best part of that trade is quite clearly that we got Carlisle with the second rounder.
  • I had many arguments with some highly respected posters on here about drafting Colyer. Great kid, but blokes that size who can only play midfield NEED to be able to kick.
  • Although he ultimately left us, I was pushing the “rookie Crameri” project for a couple of years before we finally gave him a shot. I’ll claim this as a good call as I still have fond memories of him winning a few big games for us, plus it allowed us to secure Zach Merrett.

Bad calls:
  • Did not rate Baguley at all, mostly due to his disposal and lack of room for improvement due to his age (he’s 26-27 already I think). Love that I’ve been proven wrong in this regard.
  • Despite the fact that it’s early on in the season and he’s played well in the past couple of VFL games, my continued belief in Jetta coming good is certainly leaning more towards being a bad call.
  • Had very little faith in Hardingham as a forward, yet he’s been terrific in the first few games.
  • I rated Atkinson for a while there. Not the worst call, but yeah. I think I was probably a bit of a Neagle apologist at times, too.

Lance Armstrong is not a drug cheat.

thin ice!

There is such a thing called thin ice? Maybe he should have taken some of that instead, maybe it would have been less traceable.

Good Call

- Hardingham should be a forward

- Hurley should be a backman

- Baguley will be a gun

Bad call

- Hooker will never be good and simply wont make it

- Pears will be a superstar

- we are screwed without crameri and davey

- genuinely thought reimers was the next big thing

Jetta's problems are 99% in his head. Has a lot of tools to make it, and if he'd started in a different era/team/coach who could've developed him the way he needed at the time he needed it, he could well have been a very very good player.

I don't think he's going to come right, at this club - too many false starts. Might do, somewhere else.

I remember when people thought Atkinson should've got more games and started asking "why did they cut him?" (after he got fat and wouldn't rock up to training) . Wouldn't even call that a good call, just stupidity

Good call

Crameri overrated

Persist with Hooker

Bad call

Jesus, where do I start? Among many, many other howlers, I called for Melksham's blood for a long time, and I thought Cupido, Camporeale, and Matthew Allen were brilliant recruiting decisions.