Goodbye Holden

Economics. Tooling up to build a new design is seriously expensive business, engine castings, panel stamping, lots and lots of zeroes.

Net profit to gm/Ford of selling a German made Opel or an Aus made one is much the same. If we were a China/India size market, different story, but we’re not.

They’re both still driving around daily.

1 Like

A lot seem to have ‘Fit In or F*ck Off’ stickers as well.

1 Like

thats my point, with both falcon and territory (until the diesel) they did not meet emissions regulations to sell outside of australia.

Ford only had to do a 3.8lt Falcon to make it sellable in the EU, but didnt want to make a different engine that compared with Holden (which did sell in the UK as Vaxhall.

Yes the territory was a very good car. But it didn’t export even once it got more efficient because it was just too big for Europe.

No more aussie utes is going to be weird. I know dual cab utes sell like hot cakes. But Australian car based utes we’re distinclty Australian.

1 Like

And just like that the infamous badge will no longer grace a new car

Does this mean that all those guys on Facebook commenting on AFLW posts will have to change their Holden Commodore profile pics?

4 Likes

Is this the end for meat pies and kangaroos too?

1 Like

Does that mean my Commodore is now a collectable car?

Presumably General Motors will still export cars to this market. I wonder what brand they will use.

Apparently GM will not sell cars in Australia.

What’s happening to the dealer network?

That’s huge if true.

Heard some bloke from GM say on the radio that they will still sell spare parts and offer service and warranty work for atleast the next 10 years. Still have enough stock to sell cars for several years

Chev?

I believe the 10 years is due to legal requirement to do so.

Yes for warranty purposes

GM are getting out of the RHD market all together.

GM are pulling out of RHD markets. So any GM products sold here would be conversions such as what currently happens with Ram.

Must be huge discounts, resale market must have just got hammered

Can’t imagine a huge rush to the dealers