Goodbye Holden

What’s (for example) Vauxhall’s status?

Maybe. Or maybe Opel. German reliability and all that.

1 Like

This is quite sad really…

Interesting that GM are getting out RHD completely. Fair chance they will go under soonish?

1 Like

None apparently.

GM sold them to PSA (Peugeot etc) a few years ago.

1 Like

Hmm. 25% of the world market is a decent chunk to ignore. In the longer term it may be the fastest growing too (India, parts of Africa, etc).

1 Like

That is an amazing decision.

Holden died (and so did a little bit of Australia) when it decided to replace the Torana with the Camira. Arguably the worst locally made car of them all.

4 Likes

They simply aren’t very good at making cars these days. No US based automotive manufacturer is. Nobody wants them.
Not in comparison to the Japanese, Koreans and major Euros.

1 Like

Controversial opinion, but I actually reckon the Camira, for what it was, was a good car. They fked it up a bit in terms of reliability etc in the very early days (and the 1.8 was a bit weak) and by the time it had been sorted the reputation was shot. But a 2.0 L front wheel drive, making the max use of its space, it was a car of the future before the country was ready for it.

Did it to themselves Holden, and by extension GM. They doubled down on big sedans after the GFC when the market was shifting to SUV’s, Duel Cabs and small hatch backs.

GM still don’t adequately service any of those markets. Not without their European manufacturers anyway

2 Likes

Has anybody checked on Zaka?

Tesla and Ford says hi!

And all the major globals have manufacturing there in some capacity. Usually to make the bigger cars americans enjoy.

From the big japanese, euro brands and I think even kia.

Kia has 3 SUV’s, 4 small cars compared to Holden who had pretty much one exterior with multiple engines and specs. They had no idea of the market.

1 Like

Does it mean my HR, & HQ sedans &, HJ, HX Prem, HZ Prem, VK SL, VN, VS Calais and VY S2 Berlina Wagons are? :thinking:

Anyone wanna buy an '09 Subaru XL Forrester btw?? It really does stick out like a sore thumb.

(I really have to stop buying cars, … I’ve run out of sheds, … :no_mouth: )

6 Likes

No VL?

Zaka’s not impressed.

2 Likes

Never liked VL’s, … Sedans had that stupid butt ugly rear spoiler, and the Wagon had the stupid bonnet that covered half the grill.

Cack. :frowning_face:

It was a sad day when the car manufacturing industry died in Australia. Whilst Holden’s have been fully imported, now the actual brand is dead, that’s the final nail in the coffin. The past few years the cars were rebadged Daewoos, Opel or Vauxhalls. I don’t know whether we will get GM cars still over here but not rebadged as a Holden? Problem is, the market for the Commodore severely declined and they failed to release a decent enough small/mid-sized car that could compete with a Ford Mondeo, Mazda 3/6, Mitsubishi Lancer and the like. It shows how small we are as a country that they are better off just pulling the plug on Holden…

1 Like

Germany

VL Calais was the most beautiful Holden produced!

4 Likes