Goodbye Windy Hill

I have never actually been to a game there. Never had family who barracked for Essendon and we'd left for the MCG by the time my parents let me go alone. Apart from dropping in a couple of times when nothing really was happening, I actually took my boys there for training this year and it was my first time seeing the team train at the club (which unfortunately was the day before the WC game and Hirdy was under the pump - not a great atmosphere). I was born 5 to 10 years to late unfortunately, but love hearing the stories and remember vividly the descriptions over the radio (which I listened too every week). Any more stories would be appreciated.

You really missed something Benny. Other great moments I can recall were when the windsock was tied down against the Eagles and also the day West Coast were kept to 1.12 (18), that was a great day.

Ronny Andrews returning for the first time when playing for The Filth. He would have been the only Collingwood player to be given a rousing reception when walking past the grandstand.

Cameron Clayton putting Dipper down on his ■■■■ three times on the wing in front of the Social Club was good to see.

I could reminisce about Windy Hill for hours.

thanks Saltbush. I remember listening to the WC game on the radio. And one we played against Melbourne when Clark had a kick for goal after the siren either beat us or tie the game when everyone ran on the ground. Then I'd be straight in to watch the football replays from 5pm to 6pm covering the afternoons games. The tranny was glued to my ears - the commentators really were descriptive in those days which I now appreciate.

I actually attended games at Princess Park and Victoria Park and remember the atmosphere of the supporters there. Collingwood supporters really were feral (literally - shocking!) and Vic Park was uninviting. I would go but be pretty happy to go home at the end of the day. Carlton supporters to me were always very, very arrogant. A win at PP was always treasured.

What would people say the feeling or atmosphere was of our supporters at Windy Hill?

• The great donut stand fire .... all the yobs under the willow tree chanting 'Bradford, Bradford' as the pimply donut seller ran for his life
  • My dad bollocking Barassi because some new kid (Simon Madden) was tearing North a new one
  • Ess vs Collingwood lockouts - the outer wing a sea of faces
  • Roger the Dodger complaining to me and dad (we used to do the stats under Billy Stephen) that Huddo kept pushing him in the back
  • Some 4'2" Scottish guy on the wing racially abusing Glenn James (happy to say we've improved on that scale)
  • Michael Long suckerpunching McDermott (Crows) on the outer wing
  • Justin Madden in his first game against us for Carlton pretending to get confused and running towards the Essendon race
  • The Bomberettes!!! 
  • John Kennedy coaching North, leaving the ground at 3/4 time in his trenchcoat. North are getting flogged. He spots a 10c coin that must have missed the cheer squad blanket, picks it up, flicks it in the air and catches it then smiles broadly at all the Bomber fans.
  • Vanda launching one from 90 metres, outer wing, scoreboard end
  • Trevor Barker taking a speccy on Denis Scanlon about ten metres from me. I still recall the thump as his torso slammed into the ground
  • Conversation: ...  Me - "Crackers, are we gonna win today?" Crackers - "I hope so. Dunno. Might."
  • Essendon fans applauding a goal by Flower because it was that good. (We were already 12 goals up, of course).

One everlasting memory is the crush on the ricketty old footbridge over the railway line at Brewster Street upon leaving the ground. I am amazed it is still standing. One of my mates, who is not even an Essendon supporter, always said that was one of the things he missed (or didn't miss) when Essendon stopped playing games at Windy Hill.

peanaaaahhhh.....peanuts.

peanahhhhhhh....peanuts.

I loved that guy.

peanahhhhhhh....peanuts.
I loved that guy.

He certainly got around.

Also too young to get to a game there.

The first time I went was when my aunt took me to the hall of fame during school holidays. That was cool. All the silverware on show, great photos. I remember the vibe of the place, was imposing and reeked of success.

Second time I went was also school holidays, to a clinic for Mosquito Fleet members. Did drills on the ground, swam in the pool and had a full tour of everything. Went by myself rather nervously but then realised all the other kids were solo as well and it was ripper. They gave us maccas for lunch. To meet mum at the end of the day I had to wait in the Reynolds Stand in Row L, Seat 13 (Long 13). Whenever I've been there since for training or VFL I try to sit seat L13.

The first time I went was when my aunt took me to the hall of fame during school holidays. That was cool. All the silverware on show, great photos. I remember the vibe of the place, was imposing and reeked of success.

Second time I went was also school holidays, to a clinic for Mosquito Fleet members. Did drills on the ground, swam in the pool and had a full tour of everything. Went by myself rather nervously but then realised all the other kids were solo as well and it was ripper. They gave us maccas for lunch. To meet mum at the end of the day I had to wait in the Reynolds Stand in Row L, Seat 13 (Long 13). Whenever I've been there since for training or VFL I try to sit seat L13.

That goes for me too. I had a Mosquito Fleet clinic in the mid 90s alot of the old stuff was still there such as the scoreboard and the hill behind the goals. I remember having to take a dump in these putrid toilets on the scoreboard hill. The end of day Maccas was also my first Big Mac.

peanahhhhhhh....peanuts.
I loved that guy.

He certainly got around.

A mate of mine Tony "The Beast" de Bolfo did an article on the peanut man for the Hun back in the 80s. Turned out the peanut man was actually two brothers ... that's how he "got around" so much.

I was at both great stoushes at Windy Hill as a kid.

The Battle of Windy Hill against the Tigers I got caught in the crowd near the players race at half time

on my way to the Donut Van!

& The Battle of Boot Hill against Carlscum the next year!

Saw a lot of games out there!

Going there for VFL Games brings back many memories!

I remember climbing the peppercorn trees under the scoreboard while the ressies were on and not only being sticky from the sap that you could never get off, but smelling of it all day.

<span style="font-size:12px;">A good piece by Rohan Connolly on the departure:</span>

Lifetimes of memories and legends depart Windy Hill

art-svWINDYHILL-620x349.jpg

New home: Removalists transport the painting When We Played Football at Windy Hill. Photo: Justin McManus

It's been more than 22 years since Essendon played its last game of AFL football at Windy Hill, yet there were still tears in a few eyes when the club last week packed up and moved house to its new administrative and training complex at Tullamarine.

On the field, the Bombers had signed off a 70-year stay with a routine 45-point win over the struggling Brisbane Bears on August 10 1991, before a much-debated shift of home ground to the MCG.

But the small and, for opposition sides, often intimidating venue has continued to be the hub of Essendon's coaching, training and social activities. The departure of the club lock, stock and barrel needed to be marked appropriately.

And that task was left, fittingly, to club elder statesman and former player Jack Jones, who has been conducting tours of the ground for most of the past 20 years.

As the packing of boxes and crates continued apace last Wednesday, the still-sprightly 88-year-old led club staff and a few invited guests on a final waltz around a venue loaded with history.

"It was a bit hard to do," he says. "Things were in a bit of a mess with everything being boxed up for the move." But it was hard to do for more sentimental reasons too.

Jones was privy to most of Windy Hill's most important moments during his 175-game career, which included seven grand finals and three premierships. Much of that time he spent at centre half-forward working at close quarters with the legendary John Coleman. Indeed, Jones was just metres away when Coleman famously suffered his career-ending knee injury in 1954.

"I was at centre half-forward that day," he recalls. "Jack Clarke came out of the centre, I started leading, then I heard Coleman say: 'It's mine, Jona,' and I moved out of the way, because he was vice-captain and marshal of the forward line, and I wanted a game the next week!"

Jones retold that story to the Essendon staff, as he has the thousands who have joined him over the years for the Windy Hill tour, a ground, he's quick to point out, where the club has been based for a dozen of its 16 premiership wins.

"I'd take them to the auditorium where they'd pick the sides and have the player meetings. We'd go down to the medical rooms and the gym, and I'd take them out on the ground and tell them about the grandstands named after [long-time club secretary] Bill Cookson, ■■■■ Reynolds and Allan Hird.

"When James [Allan's grandson] won his Brownlow Medal in 1996, Mark Harvey put a sign over the 'Allan' part and it became the James Hird grandstand for a little while." While it's hard to imagine now, Windy Hill once packed them in like sardines, a record 43,487 turning out to see the Bombers against Collingwood in May 1966.

The fiercely partisan local hordes bayed for opposition blood in the stands at the Napier Street end, or from favourite corners like the fondly named "Cow Shed" on the outer wing, or the sloping terracing next to it at the "School End", behind whose goals the inevitably outnumbered opposition supporters were always tentatively camped.

There they watched some of the finest work of official AFL Hall of Fame Legends such as Coleman, who booted 12 goals there in his senior debut in 1949, ■■■■ Reynolds and Bill Hutchison, and latter-day greats such as Simon Madden, Tim Watson and Terry Daniher.

And they were privy to some of the game's most memorable incidents. There was the infamous "Windy Hill brawl" of May 1974, a half-time spot fire that exploded between the Bombers and Richmond, and featured players, officials, supporters, umpires, police, mounted and on foot, and at one stage a six-year-old boy strolling calmly among a sprawling wild pack near the visiting players' race.

Even in its final year as a league venue, Windy Hill was still the scene of intrigue, with West Coast turning up to find the ground's windsock tied down to make their task as difficult as possible, coach Kevin Sheedy initially shouldering responsibility, the culprit later found to have been club chief executive Roger Hampson.

For so many Essendon fans, Windy Hill has remained a significant place. "A few years ago, there were three big trees they wanted to move to shift the practice wickets for the cricketers off the grounds near the croquet club," says Jones. "They came across all these urns. They had to ring up all the families of people who had been buried there, and moved them down to the other end of the ground."

And there they will stay. As will the social club, a souvenir shop, and for next season, Essendon VFL side's home games. Proof that while the body of the football club has now departed, much of its soul will still remain at the poky little ground on the corner of Napier and Brewster streets.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/lifetimes-of-memories-and-legends-depart-windy-hill-20131028-2wbx2.html#ixzz2j0twBwG3

peanahhhhhhh....peanuts.
I loved that guy.

He certainly got around.

A mate of mine Tony "The Beast" de Bolfo did an article on the peanut man for the Hun back in the 80s. Turned out the peanut man was actually two brothers ... that's how he "got around" so much.

Think one worked at princess park. And I believed the brothers owned one of the club x cinemas in the CBD.

I was at both great stoushes at Windy Hill as a kid.
The Battle of Windy Hill against the Tigers I got caught in the crowd near the players race at half time
on my way to the Donut Van!
& The Battle of Boot Hill against Carlscum the next year!
Saw a lot of games out there!
Going there for VFL Games brings back many memories!

The battle of boot hill was about the roughest/toughest game that I witnessed.

And Carlton kicked 14-1 in the second quarter.

A good piece by Rohan Connolly on the departure: Lifetimes of memories and legends depart Windy Hill

art-svWINDYHILL-620x349.jpg

New home: Removalists transport the painting When We Played Football at Windy Hill. Photo: Justin McManus

It's been more than 22 years since Essendon played its last game of AFL football at Windy Hill, yet there were still tears in a few eyes when the club last week packed up and moved house to its new administrative and training complex at Tullamarine.

On the field, the Bombers had signed off a 70-year stay with a routine 45-point win over the struggling Brisbane Bears on August 10 1991, before a much-debated shift of home ground to the MCG.

But the small and, for opposition sides, often intimidating venue has continued to be the hub of Essendon's coaching, training and social activities. The departure of the club lock, stock and barrel needed to be marked appropriately.

And that task was left, fittingly, to club elder statesman and former player Jack Jones, who has been conducting tours of the ground for most of the past 20 years.

As the packing of boxes and crates continued apace last Wednesday, the still-sprightly 88-year-old led club staff and a few invited guests on a final waltz around a venue loaded with history.

"It was a bit hard to do," he says. "Things were in a bit of a mess with everything being boxed up for the move." But it was hard to do for more sentimental reasons too.

Jones was privy to most of Windy Hill's most important moments during his 175-game career, which included seven grand finals and three premierships. Much of that time he spent at centre half-forward working at close quarters with the legendary John Coleman. Indeed, Jones was just metres away when Coleman famously suffered his career-ending knee injury in 1954.

"I was at centre half-forward that day," he recalls. "Jack Clarke came out of the centre, I started leading, then I heard Coleman say: 'It's mine, Jona,' and I moved out of the way, because he was vice-captain and marshal of the forward line, and I wanted a game the next week!"

Jones retold that story to the Essendon staff, as he has the thousands who have joined him over the years for the Windy Hill tour, a ground, he's quick to point out, where the club has been based for a dozen of its 16 premiership wins.

"I'd take them to the auditorium where they'd pick the sides and have the player meetings. We'd go down to the medical rooms and the gym, and I'd take them out on the ground and tell them about the grandstands named after [long-time club secretary] Bill Cookson, ■■■■ Reynolds and Allan Hird.

"When James [Allan's grandson] won his Brownlow Medal in 1996, Mark Harvey put a sign over the 'Allan' part and it became the James Hird grandstand for a little while." While it's hard to imagine now, Windy Hill once packed them in like sardines, a record 43,487 turning out to see the Bombers against Collingwood in May 1966.

The fiercely partisan local hordes bayed for opposition blood in the stands at the Napier Street end, or from favourite corners like the fondly named "Cow Shed" on the outer wing, or the sloping terracing next to it at the "School End", behind whose goals the inevitably outnumbered opposition supporters were always tentatively camped.

There they watched some of the finest work of official AFL Hall of Fame Legends such as Coleman, who booted 12 goals there in his senior debut in 1949, ■■■■ Reynolds and Bill Hutchison, and latter-day greats such as Simon Madden, Tim Watson and Terry Daniher.

And they were privy to some of the game's most memorable incidents. There was the infamous "Windy Hill brawl" of May 1974, a half-time spot fire that exploded between the Bombers and Richmond, and featured players, officials, supporters, umpires, police, mounted and on foot, and at one stage a six-year-old boy strolling calmly among a sprawling wild pack near the visiting players' race.

Even in its final year as a league venue, Windy Hill was still the scene of intrigue, with West Coast turning up to find the ground's windsock tied down to make their task as difficult as possible, coach Kevin Sheedy initially shouldering responsibility, the culprit later found to have been club chief executive Roger Hampson.

For so many Essendon fans, Windy Hill has remained a significant place. "A few years ago, there were three big trees they wanted to move to shift the practice wickets for the cricketers off the grounds near the croquet club," says Jones. "They came across all these urns. They had to ring up all the families of people who had been buried there, and moved them down to the other end of the ground."

And there they will stay. As will the social club, a souvenir shop, and for next season, Essendon VFL side's home games. Proof that while the body of the football club has now departed, much of its soul will still remain at the poky little ground on the corner of Napier and Brewster streets.

You're still dead to us, Rohan.

connolly_collingwood_main-420x0.jpg

That goes for me too. I had a Mosquito Fleet clinic in the mid 90s alot of the old stuff was still there such as the scoreboard and the hill behind the goals. I remember having to take a dump in these putrid toilets on the scoreboard hill. The end of day Maccas was also my first Big Mac.

I went to one of those clinics. Was about 94? Michael symons was running the game play. We were wearing garbage bags for jumpers...no expense spared

When i was a kid i used to jump a fence from the wing and sit up on the wall that separated the ground from the bowling club. Not sure if it is still there but I got the best view of the game.

Then I would race home and watch the replay because you could always see me sitting up there on the wall when the ball was in that pocket right of screen. I was just pumped to be on the telly!

I hope they preserve the ground like they have the Victoria Park.

Even take it to another level and make it a tourist attraction. Imagine a micro brewery and restaurant over looking the ground. Watching people enjoy the oval. Get Harvs back to mow the lawn. It would be magic.

A good piece by Rohan Connolly on the departure: Lifetimes of memories and legends depart Windy Hill

You're still dead to us, Rohan.

connolly_collingwood_main-420x0.jpg

I never noticed who the two Collingwood players in that pic are.

There's a nice element of irony there.  

Unfortunately, I never got to attend a game and Windy Hill.

I attended games at Princess Park and Victoria Park and remember the atmosphere of the supporters there. Collingwood supporters really were feral (literally - shocking!) and Vic Park was uninviting. I would go but be pretty happy to go home at the end of the day. Carlton supporters to me were always very, very arrogant. A win at PP was always treasured, you'd feel pretty proud walking out the ground after a win there.

Just wanting to know from those that went - what would people say the feeling or atmosphere was of our supporters at Windy Hill?

Were we feral? Was it unpleasant for opposition fans? Or was the atmosphere abit more civil?

Unfortunately, I never got to attend a game and Windy Hill.

I attended games at Princess Park and Victoria Park and remember the atmosphere of the supporters there. Collingwood supporters really were feral (literally - shocking!) and Vic Park was uninviting. I would go but be pretty happy to go home at the end of the day. Carlton supporters to me were always very, very arrogant. A win at PP was always treasured, you'd feel pretty proud walking out the ground after a win there.

Just wanting to know from those that went - what would people say the feeling or atmosphere was of our supporters at Windy Hill?

Were we feral? Was it unpleasant for opposition fans? Or was the atmosphere abit more civil?

I thought we were pretty feral. Not to the point where opposition fans were in physical danger but I feared for the umps occasionally.

from twitter

http://scoreboardpressure.com/2012/07/23/windy-hill-essendon-victoria/

The players include Michael Thomson (34), Mark Harvey, Glenn Hawker (33), Mark Thompson, Tim Watson (leaning over), Shane Heard (drinking), Leon Baker (obscured), Terry Daniher (very obscured), Garry Foulds (10), Merv Neagle (1), Roger Merrett (25) and Paul Weston.

Not Shane Heard but Frank Dunell me thinks.