Goodbye Windy Hill

from twitter

http://scoreboardpressure.com/2012/07/23/windy-hill-essendon-victoria/

The players include Michael Thomson (34), Mark Harvey, Glenn Hawker (33), Mark Thompson, Tim Watson (leaning over), Shane Heard (drinking), Leon Baker (obscured), Terry Daniher (very obscured), Garry Foulds (10), Merv Neagle (1), Roger Merrett (25) and Paul Weston.

I took that pic. (Or maybe it was my dad, because it was his camera, and he's not in the pic)

For the rest of the people in it.

John Synan with the banner, got suspended in the 1990 GF

Paul Lew

John 'Killer' Kilby

Doc Reid

Graham Mendola cleaning Moose Thomson's boots (also suspended after the 1990 GF)

Can't remember the name of the bloke on his right

Rob DiStradi

Mick Casey

Dennis Mulquinney. He was one of the trainers having a "chat" with Dipper in 1984 GF after Dipper KO'd Walsh.

Simon Madden breaking ■■■■ Reynolds games record,the weekly countdown on the fence for T.D's comeback after 1990 susp.,Karl Langdon getting grabbed at the race,the wind sock,the crowd stuffing Allen Jakovich's kick after siren(1991),scrag fight I seen under ■■■■ Reynolds stand after eagles 7pt loss '91,Anthony Daniher torps from full back,'DON hotdogs,flag celebrations '93 etc etc..
I love our church!!

It was former Bomber Steven Clark.

First went there on a weeknight to see training when I was 6 or so - collected autographs from Daryl gerlach, don Mckenzie, Barry Davis and Ken fletcher from memory. Autograph book long gone now :frowning:

Windy Hill - Heaven for the Bomber faithful; Hell for the opposition.

Unfortunately, I never got to attend a game and Windy Hill.

I attended games at Princess Park and Victoria Park and remember the atmosphere of the supporters there. Collingwood supporters really were feral (literally - shocking!) and Vic Park was uninviting. I would go but be pretty happy to go home at the end of the day. Carlton supporters to me were always very, very arrogant. A win at PP was always treasured, you'd feel pretty proud walking out the ground after a win there.

Just wanting to know from those that went - what would people say the feeling or atmosphere was of our supporters at Windy Hill?

Were we feral? Was it unpleasant for opposition fans? Or was the atmosphere abit more civil?

I thought we were pretty feral. Not to the point where opposition fans were in physical danger but I feared for the umps occasionally.
Thinking back, I suppose it was pretty feral, but not really any more than the other grounds. I saw a fair few punch-ups in the outer, but that was probably more due to the alcohol because you were allowed to take your own beer in those days.
I used to go with my older brothers and stand on their Esky so that I could actually see the game. Some of the comments from the crowd were hilarious back in those days and they did give opposition supporters heaps, but not usually in a nasty way. Every time we played North the same North supporter used to come and stand in our area and he gave as good as he got. I always thought he was a very brave man (or else a complete flog).
I still have flashbacks of the Windy Hill outer whenever I get a whiff of cigarette smoke mixed with beer with mild overtones of stale urine.... Ah, memories.

Simon Madden breaking ■■■■ Reynolds games record,the weekly countdown on the fence for T.D's comeback after 1990 susp.,Karl Langdon getting grabbed at the race,the wind sock,the crowd stuffing Allen Jakovich's kick after siren(1991),scrag fight I seen under ■■■■ Reynolds stand after eagles 7pt loss '91,Anthony Daniher torps from full back,'DON hotdogs,flag celebrations '93 etc etc..
I love our church!!

It was former Bomber Steven Clark.
Always thought it was Jakovich,I stand corrected..
Was up on the hill at the time,just remember people everywhere on the ground,they got their revenge on us in the finals..

I attended games at Princess Park and Victoria Park and remember the atmosphere of the supporters there. Collingwood supporters really were feral (literally - shocking!) and Vic Park was uninviting. I would go but be pretty happy to go home at the end of the day. Carlton supporters to me were always very, very arrogant. A win at PP was always treasured, you'd feel pretty proud walking out the ground after a win there.
Just wanting to know from those that went - what would people say the feeling or atmosphere was of our supporters at Windy Hill?
Were we feral? Was it unpleasant for opposition fans? Or was the atmosphere abit more civil?

I thought we were pretty feral. Not to the point where opposition fans were in physical danger but I feared for the umps occasionally.
Thinking back, I suppose it was pretty feral, but not really any more than the other grounds. I saw a fair few punch-ups in the outer, but that was probably more due to the alcohol because you were allowed to take your own beer in those days.
I used to go with my older brothers and stand on their Esky so that I could actually see the game. Some of the comments from the crowd were hilarious back in those days and they did give opposition supporters heaps, but not usually in a nasty way. Every time we played North the same North supporter used to come and stand in our area and he gave as good as he got. I always thought he was a very brave man (or else a complete flog).
I still have flashbacks of the Windy Hill outer whenever I get a whiff of cigarette smoke mixed with beer with mild overtones of stale urine.... Ah, memories.

My Dad and my 2 aunties would take my older brother and sister and myself along and stand behind the goals at the Napier St end. Most of the time my sister and brother would be up on stools and I'd take my racing cars and shuffle between people's legs down the concrete steps. Was ■■■■■■ awesome! Dad would find me 5 minutes before half time for a quick Jeff Leak in the dunnys, they were truly horrendous but no-one gave a care. i knew there were feral areas around the ground but generally the people around us were great. Was like an extended family around our area.

My Dad and my 2 aunties would take my older brother and sister and myself along and stand behind the goals at the Napier St end. Most of the time my sister and brother would be up on stools and I'd take my racing cars and shuffle between people's legs down the concrete steps. Was ■■■■■■ awesome! Dad would find me 5 minutes before half time for a quick Jeff Leak in the dunnys, they were truly horrendous but no-one gave a care. i knew there were feral areas around the ground but generally the people around us were great. Was like an extended family around our area.

A Geoff Leek surely!

First game was a win by about 6 goals over Fitzroy in '84. I'd been to matches before at VFL park but it was the first time the old man took me there across town as previously, he wasn't sure if I could last the whole game without getting bored as kids do. I was 7. Seven years later I went by myself to the last ever game against Brisbane which we coasted to a win. I think a young Michael Long bagged a few that day from memory. It was a crappy day with a small crowd and I don't think anybody at the time knew it would be our last game there. Some weeks later, I do recall a couple of ol girls who were lifelong supporters on the news, the day it was announced that we were shifting to the 'G. They said they'd never come back to watch the Dons.

The old man would stand on the Windsock hill and put away a few cans, I'd burrow down the front with all the other kids behind the two rows of seating on the boundary. Those seats always had nannas knitting and folks who waited through Under 19's and Reserves. The School End had the opposition cheer squad but they were always in the cast minority. It did get heated there some days, my old man nearly got in a blue with some Carlton ferals, four of them.

wbWINDYHILLhill_gallery__470x364.jpg

*Standing behind those advertising boards on the edge of the bluestone that towered over the windsock hill, loads of kids would get a good view from up there.

*Beating a decent Carlton side by over 100 points in '85. Generally smashing teams who feared coming there in the 80's.

*Watching us smash North by over 100 points in '85, that day myself and a couple of mates sat with our Dad's a few rows in front of Bob Ansett on the wing, repeatedly yelling "Hi, I'm Baaahb Ahhnsett. Budget truck rentals." in our worst American accents. Smart arses, we were told to shut it after a while as he was our connection for the seats on that day. Think Salmon had a field day.

*Giving West Coast a bronx cheer when Chris Lewis kicked their only goal for the day in the mud, think it was '88 or 89?

*Bernie Quinlan killing us there on a couple of occasions.

*Going home on one of those dingy old blue Harrison trains, ■■■■■■ blokes hanging out the open doors, nearly ending up in the North Melbourne railyard.

The dunnys on the outer wing, School End were very basic. Resembled an old cow shed.

*Seeing blokes trying to get in for free at the School End over those pickets.

*The cheersquad on the wing in front of the shed were always pretty rowdy.

It was ramshackle but it was real, Windy Hill. A day at the footy then was simple, no bullshit gimmicky bells and whistles stuff like Voice of the G or peripheral entertainment. Just three grades of footy, the Quaddy on the scoreboard, smokes, beer and had a genuine suburban flavour to it which you just don't get anymore. When Victorian opposition supporters went there, they were generally outnumbered 80-20.

I was at both great stoushes at Windy Hill as a kid.
The Battle of Windy Hill against the Tigers I got caught in the crowd near the players race at half time
on my way to the Donut Van!
& The Battle of Boot Hill against Carlscum the next year!
Saw a lot of games out there!
Going there for VFL Games brings back many memories!

The battle of boot hill was about the roughest/toughest game that I witnessed.

And Carlton kicked 14-1 in the second quarter.

I have to agree; Steve Beaumont didn’t shirk the issue that day. Kicked a bag too I think. Swan Mackay killed us.

I was a pie boy at Windy Hill for a few years in the 1960's. Made good money and got to watch the footy for free.  I was promoted to the pie stand under the scoreboard; the then grog-squad had a big fight with the tiger fans, took over my pie stand and threw pies at everyone.  I scooped up the takings and went home; never went back to the job, considered it payment for danger money.

Later had a house in Napier Street and could walk to the ground; dozen tins of VB each and a packet of Marlborough.  Those were the days !!

I was a pie boy at Windy Hill for a few years in the 1960's. Made good money and got to watch the footy for free.  I was promoted to the pie stand under the scoreboard; the then grog-squad had a big fight with the tiger fans, took over my pie stand and threw pies at everyone.  I scooped up the takings and went home; never went back to the job, considered it payment for danger money.

Later had a house in Napier Street and could walk to the ground; dozen tins of VB each and a packet of Marlborough.  Those were the days !!

I used to work in the stand that sold hot dogs near the scoreboard early 70's- we boiled water in old pots that carried a bit of leftover rust from the last home game but no one cared to clean them because as the boss said, you wouldn't notice anything on the red Huttons franks. The pay was about six bucks for 11-4. Hot dogs with all the trimmings (bread and tomato sauce) were 25c. Moved on to the beer stands, sold plenty of Marlboros, Fosters and VB in the day.

you guys are showing your age

I'm only 34 so i have never been to a AFL/VFL match at windy hill.

I was at both great stoushes at Windy Hill as a kid.
The Battle of Windy Hill against the Tigers I got caught in the crowd near the players race at half time
on my way to the Donut Van!
& The Battle of Boot Hill against Carlscum the next year!
Saw a lot of games out there!
Going there for VFL Games brings back many memories!

The battle of boot hill was about the roughest/toughest game that I witnessed.

And Carlton kicked 14-1 in the second quarter.

I have to agree; Steve Beaumont didn't shirk the issue that day. Kicked a bag too I think. Swan Mackay killed us.

Swan McKay was my boss for a time in the 1980's. A really nice guy. Played a social footy match one day - About 7 or 8 years after he retired - My God he was still a gun at around 40 - And so hard at the ball.

you guys are showing your age

I'm only 34 so i have never been to a AFL/VFL match at windy hill.

I'm 33 and I went to quite a few :)

wbWINDYHILLhill_gallery__470x364.jpg

Woah!! That photo. All those people hanging off the top... The good old days before OH&S and public liability killed all the fun.....

The guy top left looks a little precarious

Thread should be 'stickied' to the top of the Board forever.

Priceless memories.

from twitter
http://scoreboardpressure.com/2012/07/23/windy-hill-essendon-victoria/

The players include Michael Thomson (34), Mark Harvey, Glenn Hawker (33), Mark Thompson, Tim Watson (leaning over), Shane Heard (drinking), Leon Baker (obscured), Terry Daniher (very obscured), Garry Foulds (10), Merv Neagle (1), Roger Merrett (25) and Paul Weston.

Not Shane Heard but Frank Dunell me thinks.
Yep,that is me, ■■■■ I was thirsty !