Grammar, Spelling and Punctuation

The incorrect (and illogical) placement of the word ‘because’ in sentences over recent times is really doing my head in.

I fear that this is in the same category as your/you’re, the errant apostrophe and could of/have in that the battle is well and truly lost.

1 Like

“Talk to” versus “talk about” is the one that really, REALLY boils my piiss on a daily basis…

1 Like

When the word “however” is used without requisite punctuation.

Yeah, most likely. It’s just that to me, the his/he’s is really simple :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

You’re/your and they’re/their at least sound the same. His and he’s don’t.

2 Likes

They should sound different, but in some local dialects they’re spoken identically

Not in Australia though! Surely!

:smile: sad but true

I’ve heard it pronounced “he’s” in this country, but only very rarely.

2 Likes

Sometimes punctuation after that word is not required, however you try to argue otherwise.

But necessary commas are often omitted, and unwanted ones added.

I review reports written by others. I see 6-line sentences with no comma or other punctuation. Rather than edit those passages, I leave a comment challenging the report drafter to read it aloud, pausing only at the (absent) commas! They still don’t get it….

2 Likes

Agree. It’s a question of context and also taste. There is no rule requiring a comma in every case, but often a comma is appropriate.

1 Like

Yeah but see my edit!

That’s true. Use such as “however you like it” requires no punctuation.

But I very often will read things where it’s being used to connect two contrasting statements. Where it really should be “; however,” or two sentences. But it is so often either “, however” or no punctuation at all.

That is a good technique. I used to tell my ESL students the same thing. Read your work out loud and where you pause to breathe, that is a place to add punctuation.

1 Like

It’s an interesting subject. Some people when speaking pause more than others do and can transmit that to their writing. I don’t think that there is any kind of hard rule that can truly cover the correct use of commas. Dickens, for example, uses them liberally, and in general, I find that commas were, indeed, used more liberally than they are today. I’m guilty of it myself.

3 Likes

Older texts seem to have longer sentences with more commas (see the Puritans, whose sentences could go for most of a page). My theory is that this something to do with the way we form handwritten sentences as opposed to word processing (where you can go back and edit your expressions more easily).

1 Like

Dickens also wrote very long sentences, some of them as long as a paragraph.

Your second sentence is a good example. Some may say the whole sentence without pausing. Others may pause before and after ‘when speaking’, and/or after ‘do’.

2 Likes