Grand Final replays scrapped

It's official, no more replays in case of a drawn granny. 5 minutes each way then it goes to golden point if still tied.

Surprising move I reckon. Given the AFL’s love of a $$ I would have thought the extra money generated by a replay would persuade them to keep it.

Another tradition gone. Will be a night grand final announced before you know it…

Replay is unfair burden on traveling side(s): TICK!

Night GF: TICK!

Good Friday Game: TICK!

Replay grandfinal should he in the home teams home state. Ie if eagles finish top and draw with hawks replay would be in perth. Would actually allow the teams supporters easier access to grand finals and better for home teams sponsors if they are a interatate side plus home ground advantage.

If melb side finish top then they can choose out of melbourne venues or in hawks case play the replay grand final in tasmania
Could make it a night game.

Sorry HD’, but no … they are Gladiators, let them “Finish It”, on the day.

Theres nothing but celebratory, or commiseratory alcohol beyond it, … let them run it into the ground and see who has the EPO … sorry, I mean guts and determination …

Wait for the worst centre bounce in history to determine the golden point winner…

Has Razor Ray or that lanky bald headed cheat written all over it.

GF must, repeat must be at MCG.

Should be a shoot out but only torps and drop kicks count.
Start from the centre and move in 5 metres each time until someone pings one.
Hartley would have to be selected JUST IN CASE. (yeah I know THAT goal was a drop punt but I think DJR said he kicks 70 metre torps like he’s shelling peas)
Has to be a goal too, none of this point garbage.
And then the crowd has to be allowed to invade the field and tear down the goalposts and cut them into matchsticks for souvenirs.

Of all the AFL’s problems, this would rank somewhere in the top 160 so I’m glad they’ve jumped on it.

Another dumb solution to a problem that doesn’t exist by the AFL. But hey they look so cool fixing this imaginary important issue, they are doing something.

If they really must do it, it should be 5 mins each way until there is a winner, keep going till the players are out on their feet if you have to. Survival of the fittest/strongest.

And it shouldn’t just roll over suddenly into golden score. What if the ball is locked in one teams forward line, when it ticks over, the GF is likely decided by pure chance. That sucks and isn’t fair on players. The extra time should end, teams get a quick rest, set up & go again from the centre bounce with next score wins. Both teams start equally and can kill each other trying to win it.

Have a shirtfront competition

Or go back to the school yard:Booth teams line up for kick to kick. Biggest speccie wins.

British bulldog? Stacks on?

The funniest part people don’t realise is golden point carries on from the second period of extra time with no siren. So the Umpire will have to keep an eye on it and somehow signal it? How does that work?

Worse than that, because it’s golden point, you could really really conceivably have the situation where someone has marked 80m out and the golden point activates, leading them to either themselves or via handball to a big kicker just to give it the big torry through the points, or even worse, to a ruckman who is able to punch the ball through…

… for the GRAND FINAL WINNING point…

Why wouldn’t you at the very least just make it back for a centre bounce? Even if there’s no break.

Multi ball

Even when they get it right, they still get it wrong.

So the AFL jump on this problem because there MIGHT have been a Freo v West Coast grand final and a replay would have been a bit much in terms of travel. But when we had 3 consecutive years when we actually DID have two interstate teams up against each other (04-06) they couldn’t have figured it out then?

Geniuses.

This is how it goes.

A rag tag bunch of kids and top ups wearing the red and black qualify for the GF versus Hawthorn.

The red and black lose 2 players to injury early, including one concussed in an off the ball incident, but are still clearly the better team all day. They begin to tire in the last but still lead by a goal with 10 seconds to go, and the ball on the wing, when the out of zone umpire pulls out a free that leaves everyone bewildered. The other out of zone umpire then finds a 50 as the siren rings, giving Hawthorn a chance to tie the scores in regular time.

The Dons are out on their feet, having battled 2 players down for 3.5 quarters as the Hawthorn player lines up to send it to extra time…

So the GF is now consistent with drawn games as the rest of finals games, so the AFL for once is being consistent - & people are up in arms about it?

I agree with PP & Mendoza

Multi ball

Rock paper scissors?

Why not remove more skill from the game and just hand a win to the team that wins the coin toss?

Golden point lol

So the GF is now consistent with drawn games as the rest of finals games, so the AFL for once is being consistent - & people are up in arms about it?

I agree with PP & Mendoza

There’s a strong reason for other games to have to manufacture a result in the day. There is no reason for the GF.

The integrity of the game is more important than any scheduling concerns.

Asking an interstate side to return 7 days later is a good reason not to have a replay. No, very good reason.

The funniest part people don't realise is golden point carries on from the second period of extra time with no siren. So the Umpire will have to keep an eye on it and somehow signal it? How does that work?

That sounds so stupid and so AFL

I actually hate this change. I realise I’m in the minority, but still.

If 23 rounds, 3 finals and 120 minutes of a grand final can’t split two teams, then I’m of the view that a frantic 5-10 minute period is not the right way to decide the premiers. The fairest way is to play another game the following week.

Yeah lots of other sports have extra time, but they are sports in which draws occur much more frequently. Draws happen very infrequently in our game (maybe once a year, or once every 200 odd games).

But apparently we need to change the rules because its unfair on interstate sides? Riiiiiiiight. If you want it to be fair, then how about playing the GF at the higher ranked teams home ground? Or if you don’t want to do that, then how about playing the replay in the interstate team’s home state? Or, maybe if you really want an even competition, how about you fix the goddamm draw so each team only plays each other once? The AFL couldn’t give two sh!ts about fairness so why start now?

And don’t get me started on the golden point scenario (with no siren blowing), how on earth will that even work?