Grand Final replays scrapped

I actually hate this change. I realise I'm in the minority, but still.

If 23 rounds, 3 finals and 120 minutes of a grand final can’t split two teams, then I’m of the view that a frantic 5-10 minute period is not the right way to decide the premiers. The fairest way is to play another game the following week.

Yeah lots of other spirts have extra time, but they are sports in which draws occur much more frequently. Draws happen very infrequently in our game (maybe once a year, or once every 200 odd games).

But apparently we need to change the rules because its unfair on interstate sides? Riiiiiiiight. If you want it to be fair, then how about playing the GF at the higher ranked teams home ground? Or if you don’t want to do that. then how about playing the replay in the interstate team’s home state? Or, maybe if you really want an even competition, how about you fix the goddamm draw so each team only plays each other once? The AFL couldn’t give two sh!ts about fairness so why start now?

And don’t get me started on the golden point scenario (with no siren blowing), how on earth will that even work?

What if the replay is a draw. Surely if we can’t split the two teams with 2 grand finals then we need like ANOTHER 2 grand finals?

There is more to this than interstate teams.

In 2010 it was a nightmare for Seven. All their logistics were thrown out - all their cameras were supposed to be on a truck to Bathurst to set up for the race and that was thrown out. There was no windfall for them on advertising either, companies don’t have a spare couple of hundred thousand dollars sitting around to spend on a whim. They couldn’t sell it in a week.

It wasn’t just seven who suffered either. Think of every other supplier who had to throw everything together last minute, including the AFL who had very little time to organise new grand final entertainment, the mcg who had to get staff, food etc ready and push back preparation for cricket season.

Then of course the fans who have to shell out again for another game, plus more if coming from interstate.

I could go on.

The fact is they are removing the replay because it’s a massive inconvenience for everyone associated with it.

I actually hate this change. I realise I'm in the minority, but still.

If 23 rounds, 3 finals and 120 minutes of a grand final can’t split two teams, then I’m of the view that a frantic 5-10 minute period is not the right way to decide the premiers. The fairest way is to play another game the following week.

Yeah lots of other spirts have extra time, but they are sports in which draws occur much more frequently. Draws happen very infrequently in our game (maybe once a year, or once every 200 odd games).

But apparently we need to change the rules because its unfair on interstate sides? Riiiiiiiight. If you want it to be fair, then how about playing the GF at the higher ranked teams home ground? Or if you don’t want to do that. then how about playing the replay in the interstate team’s home state? Or, maybe if you really want an even competition, how about you fix the goddamm draw so each team only plays each other once? The AFL couldn’t give two sh!ts about fairness so why start now?

And don’t get me started on the golden point scenario (with no siren blowing), how on earth will that even work?

What if the replay is a draw. Surely if we can’t split the two teams with 2 grand finals then we need like ANOTHER 2 grand finals?

You just blew my mind

There is more to this than interstate teams.

In 2010 it was a nightmare for Seven. All their logistics were thrown out - all their cameras were supposed to be on a truck to Bathurst to set up for the race and that was thrown out. There was no windfall for them on advertising either, companies don’t have a spare couple of hundred thousand dollars sitting around to spend on a whim. They couldn’t sell it in a week.

It wasn’t just seven who suffered either. Think of every other supplier who had to throw everything together last minute, including the AFL who had very little time to organise new grand final entertainment, the mcg who had to get staff, food etc ready and push back preparation for cricket season.

Then of course the fans who have to shell out again for another game, plus more if coming from interstate.

I could go on.

The fact is they are removing the replay because it’s a massive inconvenience for everyone associated with it.

And the replay actually ended up with a far greater percentage of football fans (versus “corporates”).

Asking an interstate side to return 7 days later is a good reason not to have a replay. No, very good reason.

Would your hypothetical interstate team prefer to return a week later with 22 fit players, or play 10 minutes a man down. Could be the situation.

It’s all for the corporate sponsors and their “convenience” the interstate thing is lukin’s corporate comms strategy to sell it.

The golden point thing is moronic, but it does show that the priorities are helping the broadcaster with their programming schedule, rather than producing an outcome that accurately reflects a fair contest between 2 teams. I don’t believe the scrapping of the replay is anything other than the same priorities being addressed with some corporate comms fluff around it.

That’s the worst thing about the grand final - too many corporate tickets. I sat in a corporate section in 2001. It was flat but for essendon haters, including one hawthorn supporter who had a go at the essendon supporter I was with when she complained about the umpires because we had a “good run from the umpires last week against the Hawks”

Asking an interstate side to return 7 days later is a good reason not to have a replay. No, very good reason.

Would your hypothetical interstate team prefer to return a week later with 22 fit players, or play 10 minutes a man down. Could be the situation.

It’s all for the corporate sponsors and their “convenience” the interstate thing is lukin’s corporate comms strategy to sell it.

The golden point thing is moronic, but it does show that the priorities are helping the broadcaster with their programming schedule, rather than producing an outcome that accurately reflects a fair contest between 2 teams. I don’t believe the scrapping of the replay is anything other than the same priorities being addressed with some corporate comms fluff around it.

I reckon they’d go the 10 minutes. I would.

Def would rather to just play on.

Replay starts immediately.

Pretty rough not letting us watch old grand finals again. I had '93 all set to go in the DVD player.

Yes. Goodness me yes.

Yes. Goodness me yes.

kids in my bothers u12s play for the u14s right after. Surely afl players can do it…

The funniest part people don't realise is golden point carries on from the second period of extra time with no siren. So the Umpire will have to keep an eye on it and somehow signal it? How does that work?

That sounds so stupid and so AFL

Time for a spill of the commission

The funniest part people don't realise is golden point carries on from the second period of extra time with no siren. So the Umpire will have to keep an eye on it and somehow signal it? How does that work?

That sounds so stupid and so AFL

Time for a spill of the commission

Oh now? Yep.

With two footys

When the draw does happen, on the siren out strolls Vince McMahon. “There’s going to be a replay - and this replay starts… RIGHT. NOW.”

An extra 20 mins, but in old school style - line up, Captain’s pick, no rules. That’s what I want.
And ice cream.

Yes. Goodness me yes.

kids in my bothers u12s play for the u14s right after. Surely afl players can do it…

AFL players would be ineligible for the u14s.

The fairest way is to replay the match the following week.

That way one team’s High Performance Dept can juice up 8-10 of their stars for a much better recovery during the week than the other team’s and win the replay by close to ten goals…allegedly.

Much much fairer.

Yes. Goodness me yes.

AFL players would be ineligible for the u14s.

Not mentally.