Grass

Just concrete it people!

um...i pulled up the concrete to lay the grass.

was pretty funny. got a crew in to pull up the slab. halfway through the day they ring me to ask me if i knew what was under the slab? im thinking drugs, money a body? do i say yes or no? anyway turns out there was nothin exciting, just another freakin slab under there. 

Just concrete it people!

um...i pulled up the concrete to lay the grass.

was pretty funny. got a crew in to pull up the slab. halfway through the day they ring me to ask me if i knew what was under the slab? im thinking drugs, money a body? do i say yes or no? anyway turns out there was nothin exciting, just another freakin slab under there. 

Two lots of wogs clearly.

1 Like

anyway, i killed all the grass off, then couldnt get the ho in time, then had some stuff come up. then fark me dead, the grass has started growing back, and it looks better than before. not sure what to do.

been there, done that. it's the worst.

I'm a fan of the mulcher mower. It's like a regular mower, but without a catcher. The clippings get mulched and feed the grass. You get lusher grass, and don't end up with a heap of green waste to dispose of.

2 Likes

I’m looking at getting one of these next.

Did the whole inner city leftie thing and got an electric mower. It’s been ‘ok’ but some critical pieces have failed due to being plastic.

Plus the guy 2 houses up comes down and mows everyone’s nature strip, I only got enough extension cords to get halfway to his house to return the favour

Anyone heard of Vertimowing??

I think I need to buy/hire one for the Kikuyu, which I just discovered people actually pay for as a lawn.

FMD, I have just spent near a full day chopping the crap back down to near dirt level with a whip snip as it was almost a foot thick (well, 8" or 9" at least) below the cuttable “blades”, and the mower wheels just sank straight in.

It’s been like trying to cut a giant horsebrush or WELCOME mat, you more grind it away than cut/chop it. ■■■■■■ nightmare.

I have no idea why people would want it. It takes constant vigilance to stay on top of.

Yeah, I think you gotta do that for those really thick grasses that just keep building up a thick chunky base.

I reckon people buy the quickest growing grasses for home improvement not realising how fricken quick that stuff grows. Some of the buffaloes are similar.

I used Empire Zoysia, which is pretty slow growing, green most of the year, and seems to be hard wearing. Trick is to do a decent job preparing the soil, not mow it too low, and hand remove weeds.

1 Like

Hand has just gone up.

Pretty well everyone down here has kikuyu.

It does occasionally pop up in the garden beds but that’s what hoe/cultivators are for.

I did mow about 10 days ago, and it’s looking like it’ll need it again by the weekend.

Go see these guys and ask. They spent 20 minutes with me walking around and going through the types and conditions.

Then they went off and cut it when we had the order worked out.

Probably got 20m2 for $50 or so.

http://www.seedandturf.com.au/

1 Like

Really? 20 mins in the yard, plus travel to you, and back, … then, cut, bring & lay, 20m2 for you, … all for $50!!!

That’s fking incredible.

You must mean $50 PER metre, … right?

@bugman5 @megz :sunglasses:

Shhh. You’ll just feed my new obsession.

I brought lawn scissors to do the edging by hand because the whipper snipper wasn’t doing it right…

2 Likes

Yeah I didn’t believe that was even a thing til I was in Bali at some resort and there were people cutting the grass with scissors. Ffs, what a time to be alive!

Those Balinese are so cutting edge…

1 Like

Those push-edgers are absolutely no use against kikuyu. You’d need to sharpen them to razor sharpness.

Whipper-snipper only.

So my lawn/grass has gone really yellow in the past month.

Is it a nitrogen deficiency, or just par for the course in Winters depths?

Likely just dormant. Mines done the same. What sort of grass you got?
There’s probably something you can do to keep it green, but it’ll likely bounce back. Need to keep pulling out any weeds tho, those farkers never rest.

1 Like

Mine’s bright green and still needs mowing every 3-4 weeks.

Nothing going into it bar rain.

Kikuyu.

Ours was all killed by frost. We had temperatures down to -3 C. For a few night, first times in over 25 years here.

I am glad we have a warming planet !

1 Like

Ring your council, you will probably find there is a by-law against. I dont know any council that permits it.