Grass

I recently watched a documentary on grass. It’s the best way to watch documentaries.

5 Likes

The Flymo I had, admittedly 20 years ago, didn’t have the guts to do spring lawns anything less frequently than weekly. Fortnightly just left them too lush.

Personally, I would avoid anything that’s based on buffalo grass, eg Sir Walter. It’s got a harsh colour, and it grows on top of itself and invades everything around it.

1 Like

Was never really a huge fan of it. Being mostly plastic, it always felt like it was twisting when your trying to manoeuvre it.

I did like that it didn’t smell of fuel and stink out my bungalow.

1 Like

Agreed.

Looks like a lot of the higher end stuff is some kind of Zoysia.

Last time I laid Empire Zoysia, and it was pretty good, slow growing, but because of that, one spring the weeds took hold before the grass could outcompete them.

Fescue

I’ve got Sir Walter and thatching is definitely an issue. Ive got a few spongy areas that need some work this spring. But it’s easy to control in regards to garden beds as the runners are above ground they’re easy to see. I haven’t had an issue. It’s not like Kikuyu. That stuff is evil.

1 Like

I did turf a few years back, sir Walter in the backyard and empire zoysia in the front. I preferred the look of the empire as you could get a smoother look. Look up the turf thread on the homeone forum, there’s an awesome guide there by FuManchu. All about getting the soil right, not just laying 100mm of sandy loam like most people suggest. Rotary how down like 300mm and get some good organised soil in there, lots of seasol etc. you want the soil good as to not have to rely on feeding with fertilisers.

Funnily enough I’ve read that same thread.

It’s a lot of work, hence why people go artificial.

Given the machinery required, and a lot of manual labour, still thinking outsourcing is worth it.

Kikuyu out front, sir walter buffalo out back, wish I did kikuyu back as well, love it.

2 Likes

Looking good.

2 Likes

Do you remember what strain of Kikuyu?

When I discovered they actually SOLD it as turf I found it hard to believe, … then I became aware there are several different types other than the original one brought out from Africa for Cattle feed purposes that takes over everything, (and did all the way to our sand dunes down here until a massive eradication effort a couple of decades back.)

Mallee (MSK) Kikuyu, the back is palmetto soft leaf buffalo with lots of runners and patches from dog, both from Advance Turf in Sunshine, a mate got his kikuyu from there , big corner lot in Melton, was around 90m2 frim memory, lots of care and water but looked like a bowling green.

1 Like

Our Sir Walter died. The roots were not getting deep enough and the water just sat on the top due to the clay underneath

Ta.

Do you have to “scarify” every 2 or 3 years to maintain it, and keep it from getting 6 inches thick with that one do you know? :thinking:

Ever heard it mentioned as part of the care?

We are doing our back yard next week in Buffalo Kakadu . We have a lot of shaded areas and they reckon this is best. About 150 sq metres, so not that much.

This has been the problem all along SB.

It’s all about drainage. You can’t grow turf on clay, … although I reckon that original Kikuyu I mentioned would give it a good shot if you want it. That shitt climbs brickwork ffs.

Not my fault our estate was built on the clay swamp lands. Landscaper originally didn’t go deep enough and said that the Sir Walter Buffalo would thrive.

No, nothing like that in the care pack they gave me.

1 Like

If you could simply lay new turf over old it would be a piece of ■■■■

1 Like