Greatest Moment of our 150 year history

The Sheedy team got me thinking about this the other day, and while there are so many moments that have given me great joy over the years, I don’t think I’ve ever had quite the same feeling as I had during the second half of the 84 GF. The fact that I didn’t really see it coming at half-time, and the way it happened, and the players who made it happen, just made it an extraordinary afternoon.

The Adelaide Prelim is possibly the only other game I can compare it to.

There are many great moments that I have to be reminded of from time-to-time, but the second half of those two games are easily - and often - recalled in my mind!

6 Likes

Hird 5 goals ANZAC day was better than Zaka 09’

1 Like

I agree with what people have said about the '84 GF but the only thing on that list that is truly unique to Essendon is John Coleman’s 12 goals on debut and 100 goals in his debut season.

And no one will ever break that record.

6 Likes

2 Likes

Our greatest moment is yet to come.

When we next break through to win a premiership (and someday we will), it will be glorious. Imagine the roar at the MCG when it becomes clear we are going to win.

The fans will have waited and waited and waited, through the pandemic, the saga, and the longest drought in club history.

It will be one of the greatest life moments any of us will experience I think

8 Likes

Was going to say the same thing… while it was a great entertaining come back it was the begining of the end.
Sheedy deciding to coming to Essendon was a great moment…
The 93 Grand Final was my favourite GF but Ess v Adel Preliminary Final was my standout
game.

1. flash mob
1 Like

EFA.

2 Likes

1984 premiership for mine

3 Likes

The problem is, most of us will have completely lost interest by 2039 when this happens.

2039? It’ll be 2139 and we’ll all be dead.

3 Likes

That one time I managed to exit the VFL Park car park prior to midnight.

6 Likes

If only we get to live that long!

1 Like

If I’m dead in four weeks time it will have been worth it.

1 Like

Connor McKenna leaving his car at The Hangar.

6 Likes

1984 GF.

Coming from behind to beat a fierce and determined rival, after such a long time in the wilderness. That years was the culmination of a process that began with the drafting of Madden, then Van Der Haar and Watson. Then Sheedy arrived and put the finishing touches on the team that was a heady blend of talent from the suburbs, the Wimmera and interstate. That last quarter when we ran all over them and not even a typically thuggish moment from Dipper could stop the momentum. The players themselves still speak in hushed tones about the game, witness their interviews with Mike.

11 Likes

You mean Hird and Cupido 5 goals each :slight_smile:

1 Like

Jobe’s epic chunder against gold coast.

People remembering crap moments should stop polluting this “lid off” thread and start their own thread “Crappest Moments in Essington’s 20 year history”

2 Likes

84 GF for mine as well.

Not sure how three Brownlows is a “moment”.

Would the 1950 flag with a team with Reynolds, Hutchison and Coleman be a big moment …

3 Likes