Greatest Moment of our 150 year history

I wasn’t alive for it, but being told the joy of sending Leigh Matthews off in 78 point Grand Final demolition job means it has to be right up there

7 Likes

Agree with this. I was only three years old at the time, so have no memory of it, but have seen the replay so many times and even decades later it just seems like an epically special moment. I’m a little envious of the Bombers supporters who were there that day.

From my own memory, the '93 GF is my all-time favourite. I absolutely idolised Michael Long and seeing him and the rest of the team rip the living ■■■■ out of Fark Carlton that day was so satisfying. Never been a better moment in my footy watching life.

3 Likes

that moment is why I barrack for Essendon.

2 Likes

I’ll keep this to ones in my memory.

The 2 flags (93,00)

Sos gifting us a win in late 98

North Comeback

Dicking FC when they were red hot and “premiership favourites”

Some of those backs to wall wins the year the saga broke

1 Like

Neale Daniher kicking three goals in the late stages to pinch the game against FCFC. Best part was that it was towards their grandstand end…

8 Likes

I was in the crowd at the grandstand end, fully kitted out in my Essendon gear. I copped sh*t all day from the scum supporters…but boy were they silenced in those last few minutes.

I just went off and probably only got out of there in one piece because my mate was a scum fan and dragged me out :rofl:

5 Likes

This is the greatest moment that I’ve seen. It was the first flag I saw after suffering through the 70’s & 83 GF as a young lad. I think it’s the best way to win a GF too. I still feel the 84-85 was the best era of players I’ve seen at Bomberland.

How the mighty has fallen in recent times.

8 Likes

It’s hard to describe how the '84 GF felt. Not only had we had the drought through 69 to early 80’s, we had made the finals and gone out first week every year from 79 to 82. We had some very good sides in those years but couldn’t give a yelp in the finals. Then in 83 we won convincingly in each of the first 3 wks of finals and I went into the Grand Final against Hawthorn thinking we were a genuine chance. I was very nervous. And we got absolutley pumped by a then record margin. So all through 84, it felt like we were pushing the proverbial uphill to do it, expecially when Salmon went down in R13 against Collingwood.
In the GF we absolutely butchered chance after chance, and Hawthorn kept kicking a goal against the run of play when it felt like we were playing all over them. The frustration was overwhelming when were were still 23 pts down at 3/4 time.
Then straight from the bounce in the last quarter we went bang.
When Baker blind turned and kicked that goal, it was the first time I truly believed it could happen. I was alone in my living room watching on TV and I haven’t been that pumped ever I don’t think.
We all know what happened from there, but that moment Baker blind turned and the ball was going through…I will never forget it till the day I die, and then some.

14 Likes

My favourite Bomber’s memory is the last quarter of the '84 Grand Final. First Premiership for 19 years. Completely annihilated the Dorks in the last quarter. How sweet was that?

3 Likes

1993 in its entirety for me. I was living in Melbourne and got to see every game, aside from interstate, including all the finals. Absolutely magic. We pumped the Pies in the wet under lights, and my Pies mate said, you will win it this year. I didn’t believe him, but he was right. Even after Carlton beat us in the finals when we had a few out, I thought we were going to win it. That changed for a 1/2 the week after, but then the greatest comeback I have seen, and probably better than the “comeback” game.

3 Likes

I have waxed lyrical about Baker’s audacious blind turn previously. No one had seen a blind turn at league level for years, and neon Leon pulls one out in the pressure of a GF and then cooly slots the goal, for good measure. For me that blind turn was the culmination of a process that began with Watson’s blind leap over a prone Harmes one night out at Waverley en route to the night time GF. That leap was straight into Essendon folklore and Watson won a car as a direct result of his performance that night.

Watson’s leap and Baker’s blind turn are bookends, that combined announced the return of Essendon as a power in the game.

6 Likes

2016 Round 2 vs Melbourne. Awesome day at the footy

Sat arvo in the sunshine at the MCG

Everyone was writing us off saying we wouldn’t win a game

10 Likes

Sheedy’s jacket waving was iconic, but i don’t see how that is in our top moments as a club.

Some potential replacements from my lifetime:
The 69 point turn around vs the roos should get a mention, staggering this missed out
The 93 point quarter vs the suns

I can’t imagine how many other amazing moments there are that we can’t remember. 16 premierships and only 5 in memorable moments?

Anyway, 2000 was incredible and may never be matched or beaten, it will probably be the one

1 Like

One of the Great Moments.

9 Likes

I think these are the top 5 from earlier voting. Nice work to get GC in- what a quarter.

Yep, the march before the game was great too. It was a special day, and showed we weren’t quite dead and buried.

3 Likes

It would be great if a few Blitzers who were around at the time could share their thoughts, more broadly, about Leon Baker. He’s obviously a legend at our club, I’ve seen his performances in the '84 and '85 GFs and one of the first games I ever attended (against Collingwood at Waverley Park in late '88) was one of his last games for the Bombers (he got the three Brownlow votes).

He was my first favourite player and I’ve always been fascinated by his story.

Yep. In my time supporting the club, I’d say that was the highlight
I was just about in tears when the siren went
Massive outpouring of Saga emotions that day

3 Likes

Tonight

Let’s hope so