Guinea Fowl

Anyone had any experience with guinea fowl?
My main concern is the amount noise they make but have heard mixed reports.
Cheers

Are you going to feed it to your dog?

Anyone had any experience with guinea fowl? My main concern is the amount noise they make but have heard mixed reports. Cheers

Yeah , … but nothing I can share here …

Use duct tape otherwise they explode

Edible. Smoke on hickory for 1hr 10

They bury their eggs.

very tasty

very tasty

Buried eggs?

Yes, I have raised them and also had them wandering the property.
They make one of the most evil sounding noises I have heard! It is a cross between an evil screeching witch and a rooster.
I raised these in the incubator for a friend and the babies were very cute, but every time I stuck my head in to see if they were OK they would peep, peep, peep, non-stop for the next hour or so! Drove me crazy.

■■■■■■ awesome if you have snake problems as they will gang up on the snake and drive it off.
But back to the noise…not pleasant. If you live in the suburbs then pick something else.

Yes, I have raised them and also had them wandering the property. They make one of the most evil sounding noises I have heard! It is a cross between an evil screeching witch and a rooster. I raised these in the incubator for a friend and the babies were very cute, but every time I stuck my head in to see if they were OK they would peep, peep, peep, non-stop for the next hour or so! Drove me crazy.

■■■■■■ awesome if you have snake problems as they will gang up on the snake and drive it off.
But back to the noise…not pleasant. If you live in the suburbs then pick something else.

wow!

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjGyLrzhfbKAhVFqJQKHSoHDwcQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fnewjudi%2Fguinea-hens%2F&bvm=bv.114195076,d.dGo&psig=AFQjCNFsykeVsp7oLuIOojFZ7oap3WXKIg&ust=1455497755758445

Here is pic from the interwebs, even the chooks are getting in to it.
You can almost hear them clucking, “fight, fight, fight”

very tasty

Buried eggs?

We had a couple when I was a kid. I remember them burying their eggs under the house, in the dry dust between the stumps. I remember going under there and digging them out .

very tasty

Buried eggs?

We had a couple when I was a kid. I remember them burying their eggs under the house, in the dry dust between the stumps. I remember going under there and digging them out .

Did you cook them first?

I think I’ll try some fledged keets first.

We’ve got my mother in laws f*@#ing rooster here at the moment so if they are as bad as that, or worse, they’re gone. This rooster starts at 3am and goes nearly all day until well after dark.

We’ve got chooks but the stay in their pen because of snakes, foxes, hawks etc. Dogs chase the scrob turkeys but once they get over the curiosoty they’re ok.
Might wait til after heading away at easter then give it a go

Good luck. Are you going to raise them from eggs or get them as chicks?

Let us know how you go and what you think of their lovely song.

Yes, I have raised them and also had them wandering the property. They make one of the most evil sounding noises I have heard! It is a cross between an evil screeching witch and a rooster. I raised these in the incubator for a friend and the babies were very cute, but every time I stuck my head in to see if they were OK they would peep, peep, peep, non-stop for the next hour or so! Drove me crazy.

Thanks for that. We’re on 10 acres with the same either side and behind. Suburbia starts at the end of our driveway out the front. I have heard that they get noisy when anything different happens eg a strange car, snake, etc etc.

We have 3 dogs that the ticks like and get our share of snakes around.

Keep thinking it might be worth getting some but if they are too noisy, just getting rid of them again.

They look delicious.

Thanks for that. We’re on 10 acres with the same either side and behind. Suburbia starts at the end of our driveway out the front. I have heard that they get noisy when anything different happens eg a strange car, snake, etc etc.

Keep thinking it might be worth getting some but if they are too noisy, just getting rid of them again.

No worries. I have heard they are meant to help keep the ticks down, so if you get them bad it is worth trying. Sounds like you have enough space to not annoy anyone else anyway. Do you have chooks now? Are you just adding these or would these be your only birds?

How would you dogs go with them free ranging? If they are not used to having poultry around they can be a bit inquisitive and run the poor things to death or worse. My dogs are now trained to keep the chooks off the deck, but otherwise don’t pay them any attention.

We've got chooks but the stay in their pen because of snakes, foxes, hawks etc. Dogs chase the scrob turkeys but once they get over the curiosoty they're ok. Might wait til after heading away at easter then give it a go

No worries. I have heard they are meant to help keep the ticks down, so if you get them bad it is worth trying. Sounds like you have enough space to not annoy anyone else anyway. Do you have chooks now? Are you just adding these or would these be your only birds?

How would you dogs go with them free ranging? If they are not used to having poultry around they can be a bit inquisitive and run the poor things to death or worse. My dogs are now trained to keep the chooks off the deck, but otherwise don’t pay them any attention.

Uploaded with Imgupr